British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   anyone applying july 2007 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-applying-july-2007-a-459585/)

carolinejones3 Jul 11th 2007 1:28 pm

Re: anyone applying july 2007

Thanks for the info re DHL etc..I am going to do one more check on the visa (sick of looking at it, must have checked it a hundred times!!:blink) its become a flaming albatros.::frown:.and off it goes early next week with luck..
Caroline :thumbup:

york1e Jul 11th 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by displaced pecky (Post 5035692)
Hi there,
we hope to join the July bunch - going on a 457 sponsored visa and just been given ok by sponsoring company. OH is a plumber and we plan on going to Perth. Its now all the nitty gritty paperwork I guess. Love to hear of others in same position.
:)

Hi my name is Chris, i too am a plumber, i dont have any formal qualifications except i have been doing this job for 20yrs. i am seriously thinking about immigrating .if you have any help you can give me i would be iternally gratefull many thanks Chris

Sally Simpson Jul 11th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by carolinejones3 (Post 5040367)
Thanks for the info re DHL etc..I am going to do one more check on the visa (sick of looking at it, must have checked it a hundred times!!:blink) its become a flaming albatros.::frown:.and off it goes early next week with luck..
Caroline :thumbup:

I know exactly how you feel, I was so glad to see the back of it!!

kazmatt Jul 11th 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by brendan d (Post 4936098)
Hi, i've just joined the forum and would be interested in getting some info from people who are applying this year (july).

we are sendind application off in a week or so, so fingers crossed, good luck to everyone with there applications.

skills assesment sent to tra 23/05/05
skills assesment passed 22/05/05:thumbsup:

sub Jul 11th 2007 7:53 pm

Yes it really is a big relief to see the back of it!!! My application (136 modl nurse) went on Friday 6th so hoping it is safely in oz by now!:thumbsup:

Caroline noticed you are from Yorkshire where abouts? Im a practice nurse in Barnsley hoping to head for Adelaide.:D

Susan

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 9:18 am

Originally Posted by sub (Post 5042076)
Yes it really is a big relief to see the back of it!!! My application (136 modl nurse) went on Friday 6th so hoping it is safely in oz by now!:thumbsup:

Caroline noticed you are from Yorkshire where abouts? Im a practice nurse in Barnsley hoping to head for Adelaide.:D

Susan

Hi Susan, I live in Batley and work in Bradford as a practice nurse also for the Pct. We are planning on heading out to Perth. My partner Liam is a sparky and I have two boys, jack who is 8 and Sam who is 4 on Sunday. Have you been looking out for job as a practice nurse in Adelaide? In Perth there seems to be jobs but some of them also asking for reception duties as well :rofl::eek:
Caroline:)

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 9:22 am

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5040932)
Hi my name is Chris, i too am a plumber, i dont have any formal qualifications except i have been doing this job for 20yrs. i am seriously thinking about immigrating .if you have any help you can give me i would be iternally gratefull many thanks Chris

Hi Chris, there are lots of plumbers on BE, you might be better starting your own thread, that way more people will see it, inc plumbers. Also there is a Plumbing forum on here, they are sure to point you in the right direction. If you go to the discussion forum, scroll down until you get to working abroad and its all there.
Hope this helps,:thumbsup: caroline

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by york1e (Post 5040932)

Sorry Chris there does not seem to be a plumber bit on the working abroad:o, I would still try asking on the sparky bit as I am sure someone will help.
Caroline

sub Jul 12th 2007 9:36 am

Hi Caroline, Yes know Batley not far from me! Did you see the tv prog on tues about that family from Bradford? What did you think? Personally I thought she would have given up alot to come back here! Was shouting at the tv for her to stay put!! Did get a little too involved!:unsure:

Been looking at practice nurse jobs in Adelaide - there seem to be some but like you say duties seem very different. When will you start applying?:confused: or you waiting til you get out there? Heard wages arent very good either do you know owt about that?:eek:
Susan

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sub (Post 5044249)
Hi Caroline, Yes know Batley not far from me! Did you see the tv prog on tues about that family from Bradford? What did you think? Personally I thought she would have given up alot to come back here! Was shouting at the tv for her to stay put!! Did get a little too involved!:unsure:

Been looking at practice nurse jobs in Adelaide - there seem to be some but like you say duties seem very different. When will you start applying?:confused: or you waiting til you get out there? Heard wages arent very good either do you know owt about that?:eek:
Susan

Hi Susan, yes watched the program, really felt for her, but thought she would go back re her eldest boys. I also thought Bradford was filmed in a good light, makes a change!!

Job wise will start when out there, as we don't know which area we will be stopping in. Would like one close to home, my commute at the mo sometimes takes over an hr in the morning and eve, depending on traffic!! :mad:

Re nursing in Oz, have read mixed reports re what its like. As for Practice nursing I think its around 10, maybe even 20yrs behind the uk. Practice nursing in the uk is all very nurse led, in Oz its gp lead, I think the way the Gp's earn money is also very different. In the uk all qof of course is nurse generated, while in Perth the gp's must see all the pt's to claim there monies!! I think this is right anyway. I guess its more treatment room stuff rather that chronic disease, which is what I do now.
Put it this way I am not going for a career move!! More to spend more time with the boys, also hoping not to work fulltime as I do now!! Again will have to wait and see...It maybe different where you are going. Have you looked at seek.com au, they advertise p/n jobs all the time and is a good place to start. Re wages, again I have read different things, some nurses on the same as uk others not as much..
I must admit though I get the colly wobs evert time I think of working as a nurse in Oz!!! :eek::eek:
Caroline

sub Jul 12th 2007 10:49 am

Caroline. Glad Im not the only one, work for 4 fantastic GPs who generally 'let me get on with it'! Will fund me for any course I want to go on- giving me time off to study, and just given me a nice pay rise due to qof points etc.
So yeah wondering what my nice little job (only do 24hrs/week) will be exchanged for?!!:ohmy::ohmy:
In fact now Ive typed it out why am I going in the first place:confused:???

Oh yeah cos weather here is horrific and has rained every day for 2 months, living near the sea sounds ok too. My hubby works about 80 hours a week so hoping to see a bit more of him, and we have 2 little girls (6 and 3) who I think will love it. What the hell we are only here once aint we?:D
Susan

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 11:08 am

Susan - I agree, it will be such a huge change!!! I am scared that I will just be a phleb with the odd dressing and peak flow to do ?? Maybe way of the mark. I did once speak to a p/n in Perth and she works for a company (private health care) who set up nurse led clinics and she was clinical lead...maybe things are moving on..
Spoke to another one and she does more treatment room stuff like ECG, Spiro, dressings etc..
I would hate to work for a shit Gp. I am employed by Bradford pct, so I have never been employed by a gp and I must admit that scares me more than I like to admit:unsure:
Again also worried er amount of scope re training and update courses etc..I have all cdm dips etc and worry I will be deskilled and not able to use the skills I have now..

However on a more positive point, yes weather SO crap its been shocking, we have hired a bouncy castle for Sams birthday on Sunday, dreading it raining, but forecast looks better ,:eek:dare I say it, even sunny!!!

Its good to talk to another practice nurse...:)

sub Jul 12th 2007 12:39 pm

Completely agree Caroline! Hope you will keep in touch and ket me know how youre going on:)
Am scared of getting to oz and being bored rigid in new job cos they wont let me do owt:( apart from bps and urinalysis:(
When did you send your visa application off? Have you got rels in Perth or just like the sound of it?
Susan

carolinejones3 Jul 12th 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sub (Post 5044971)
Completely agree Caroline! Hope you will keep in touch and ket me know how youre going on:)
Am scared of getting to oz and being bored rigid in new job cos they wont let me do owt:( apart from bps and urinalysis:(
When did you send your visa application off? Have you got rels in Perth or just like the sound of it?
Susan

We went for Perth as it seemed a better option re weather and family stuff in general. Have not ruled out anywhere though and prepared to tram around Oz a bit if we don't settle in Perth. Would like to experiance the gold cost etc.. Adalade put me off as a sleepy town and a bit of a retirement place, although since then I have read really lovely reports on it. Why did you go for that part of Oz? We have no family there as such, Liam has the odd distant family member floating around somewhere, but we do have friends based in Perth, they are soon to move over to bris though.
Caroline

sub Jul 12th 2007 6:14 pm

We have been to Brisbane, Gold coast, Surfers paradise and also done Sydney. But the areas just seem so vast and built up especially Brisbane and Sydney central areas and didnt feel it was for us with having 2 little ones! Also did Noosa, Byron bay and really nice areas like that but feel property prices would be a little out of reach!!!!:ohmy:Like the idea of Adelaide not too big but seems to have everything we would ever need and property reasonable(I also have a friend living there so she tells me bits I need to know!):)
Also the weather is a big factor want it warmer than here but not too warm, Brisbane and Perth both can get pretty hot and dont think OH would be too impressed or kids for that matter so Adelaide seems a good all rounder, but like you say wont know til we are there and havent ruled out another move.
Thats the beauty of a 136 pr visa!!!(very flexible):thumbsup:
Whats your reasons for wanting to go? Had enough of Bradford?!:huh:
Susan:)