Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best month to move from the UK?

Best month to move from the UK?

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best month to move from the UK?

hi everyone, I put a post on here last week about thinking of leaving - basically the house we're renting has been put on the market and we have to find a new home

Then the car broke down....

Anyhow, the car is fixed, we've found another house to rent for 12 months, and I'm going to get my butt in gear and plan to leave to oz once the tenancy is up or shortly after.

I've got my standard business sponsorship application ready to send, so fingers crossed that shoud come back fine, then I can sponsor myself nearer the time I'm hoping...

What month would you recommend to move to Oz in? I have two daughters, the eldest is 4 next week...
I was thinking of moving in Autumn for climate reasons (avoid the winter here without going straight into the brunt of an aussie summer),

What's the verdict?
thanks!
Jen
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best month to move from the UK?

Definitely arrive here in spring. October is best.

Weather is a bit warmer than the UK - but not too much. All the jacarandas are out and summer's on its way.

Who wants two winters in a row?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

YES! Arrive in Spring here. We did that and going into summer soon. Gives you a few months to get into the weather here.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers! We'd be looking at going to Melbourne,
would December/January be too late do you think?
I was just thinking we could go round to see all the family and say goodbye whilst doing the xmas run that way...
but early november would probably be the next best thing
Thanks!!!
I can't wait to get over there (finally!)

Jen
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa!

Zero (0) degrees to 40 degrees Celcius might be really tough.

Wait for some other opnions though.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:37 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Leave when your visa arrives
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Whoa!

Zero (0) degrees to 40 degrees Celcius might be really tough.

Wait for some other opnions though.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking lol, probably will look at November instead - that way I can use the christmas period to get the business established over there,

I reccied in Brisbane the first two weeks of november and didn't find it too tough then heatwise.... although it typically rained the entire time! It's my daughters birthday on the 28th Oct, so maybe do what we did when we went over for the reccie - have a big party for her, say bye to everyone and go just in time for our wedding anniversary on the 5th November......

So it's going to need a masterplan to prepare to get there in 12 months..... I love a challenge!

I think the business sponsored visa is going to take 3-4 months to all go through, and i'm in no rush to get it in the bag - if it takes longer i'll just delay going for another 6-12 months as necessary.

It's always been "in two or three years we'll go" - but now I think it's time to start making a move otherwise the time will never arrive!

Jen
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
Thanks, that's what I was thinking lol, probably will look at November instead - that way I can use the christmas period to get the business established over there,

I reccied in Brisbane the first two weeks of november and didn't find it too tough then heatwise.... although it typically rained the entire time! It's my daughters birthday on the 28th Oct, so maybe do what we did when we went over for the reccie - have a big party for her, say bye to everyone and go just in time for our wedding anniversary on the 5th November......

So it's going to need a masterplan to prepare to get there in 12 months..... I love a challenge!

I think the business sponsored visa is going to take 3-4 months to all go through, and i'm in no rush to get it in the bag - if it takes longer i'll just delay going for another 6-12 months as necessary.

It's always been "in two or three years we'll go" - but now I think it's time to start making a move otherwise the time will never arrive!

Jen
What visa are you applying for? You say you are going to "sponsor yourself" but I'm not aware of any visa where you act as your own sponsor.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, the company I own is going to sponsor me to start the Australia branch next year. There looks like there's a good market over there for us to tap into and the Uk business is growing and thriving so it should be able to fund me to go and expand there... it's all exciting

Jen
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There's good and bad in every month probably. Come when you're ready and it'll be fine.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers! We'd be looking at going to Melbourne,
would December/January be too late do you think?
I was just thinking we could go round to see all the family and say goodbye whilst doing the xmas run that way...
but early november would probably be the next best thing
Thanks!!!
I can't wait to get over there (finally!)

Jen
We came over in January, was a shock to the system going from -7 to 41 over night. Took a few weeks to adjust.
I'd have come out in May given the choice.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

I would def suggest September. It's just starting to get better weather, you go from one summer to pretty much another, with about 7 months or so of really good weather. Eases you in to the really hot days (the first 40+ is still a shock).

Def don't come in Ausies Winter, two winters on the trot is going to upset you.

I also wouldn't come Jan/Feb - hottest months, and soon cools down in March/April so you may feel cheated out of some nice long good weather.

We live in perth. Not sure what the other cities are like.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:06 pm
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saxtonj
I would def suggest September. It's just starting to get better weather, you go from one summer to pretty much another, with about 7 months or so of really good weather. Eases you in to the really hot days (the first 40+ is still a shock).

Def don't come in Ausies Winter, two winters on the trot is going to upset you.

I also wouldn't come Jan/Feb - hottest months, and soon cools down in March/April so you may feel cheated out of some nice long good weather.

We live in perth. Not sure what the other cities are like.
Agree with all that. Particularly if you're moving to Melbourne, the winter there can be a bit bleak.

When I moved before to Melb, in Jan, felt like I wasted a lot of the summer .. as I was working all week, and spent weekends investigating areas to live, house hunting, buying appliances and furniture and assembling all the furniture .. by the time I was settled in my apartment and had free weekends the best of the summer was over!

So if you move there in Sept, you should be settled into your home by Christmas
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best month to move from the UK?

hi everyone, I put a post on here last week about thinking of leaving - basically the house we're renting has been put on the market and we have to find a new home

Then the car broke down....

Anyhow, the car is fixed, we've found another house to rent for 12 months, and I'm going to get my butt in gear and plan to leave to oz once the tenancy is up or shortly after.

I've got my standard business sponsorship application ready to send, so fingers crossed that shoud come back fine, then I can sponsor myself nearer the time I'm hoping...

What month would you recommend to move to Oz in? I have two daughters, the eldest is 4 next week...
I was thinking of moving in Autumn for climate reasons (avoid the winter here without going straight into the brunt of an aussie summer),

What's the verdict?
thanks!
Jen
Well we left the UK June 1 and arrived in Melbourne July 3.

This meant we were able to take maximum advantage of both countries tax years, so financially it was the right time. Plus arriving in winter (which was like a UK spring or autumn) meant that by the time the hot days started coming in October we were all set up and ready to enjoy them.

BB
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the company I own is going to sponsor me to start the Australia branch next year. There looks like there's a good market over there for us to tap into and the Uk business is growing and thriving so it should be able to fund me to go and expand there... it's all exciting

Jen
A 457? 163? What visa? Have you spoken to a migration agent about your plan? Like I said, I've never heard about a visa where you can sponsor yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.