Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Old May 22nd 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Hi all

Just to let you know it's just arrived! I could have kissed the courier man!

So that is just under the 30 days. A friend of mine sent hers 10 days after us but it would seem the money was taken around the same time - so there must have been some hold up?

So hopefully Famous 5's will be back shortly!

Kim
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Sent my passport of begining of april and still waiting, paid with money order so hoping they have recieved it ok. Didnt put a travel date on form as was in no hurry, now starting to worry they may not even have got it.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah-jayne
Sent my passport of begining of april and still waiting, paid with money order so hoping they have recieved it ok. Didnt put a travel date on form as was in no hurry, now starting to worry they may not even have got it.
Did you not use a courier?
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to know why a UK passport costs twice as much here as it does to get exactly the same passport in the UK?
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

To make us suffer in the pocket for leaving the Motherland!

Maybe the it costs more to maintain the Consulate out here? Or maybe it's just a big rip-off as your stuck and haven't much choice.

Kim
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi all

Just to let you know it's just arrived! I could have kissed the courier man!

So that is just under the 30 days. A friend of mine sent hers 10 days after us but it would seem the money was taken around the same time - so there must have been some hold up?

Kim
What a relief - I'm really pleased for you.

I spoke to someone very helpful yesterday, so fingers crossed that mine arrives in the next day or so. I hope so.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

bothworlds is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I feel almost guilty about this, but I just got a call to say mine is ready for collection. I dropped in the application on Tuesday.

I think this shows that the only way to get it rushed through is to make sure that it is red flagged immediate by the person who first looks at the application. I did not have proof of medical emergency or anything like that (my reason was complicated and involved a charitable foundation losing a bit of money for every day that I was still in Australia), I just wrote a nice, respectful letter saying that I know they are busy but I need my passport as quickly as possible for XYZ reasons and I would be very appreciative if they would consider processing it quickly. THe letter is crucial, I think.

This won't help anyone who's already put theirs in, but hopefully someone else will benefit from the news!
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Tamstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Just rang about the status of mine (place a request 2 days ago). The took the money 3 weeks ago, they have had the passport for 5-6 weeks now and they advised me I was still in the 'middle' of it being processed - ie could be another 20 days!! How crap is that!! that would be taking 2 months to process a renewell of a passport!!!

I can get my passport back, and forfeit the fee (of course) - i send a fax and they respond within 48 hours and send it back on next day delivery!! Which is interesting that they can do that. So that is my only option as my passport hasn't expired- just under 6 months thats all. I am only transiting through countries so not even leaving the airport so all should be OK to get me to UK!!

So going to do that otherwise I will have a nervous breakdown.

Tamstar
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

It's useful to know you can get the original passport sent back. I am concerned that they havent even taken my money yet. We fly on June 26th. Which was well within the 30 day period when we applied..... but I am getting really concerned (and quite obsessive about this thread!). I spoke to someone yesterday who claimed that their renewal took 2 and a half months. This particular person is a bit of drama queen and I know everything she says has to be taken with a pinch of salt but it did leave me with a sick feeling in my stomach!
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Yes - get back in Australia - my passport and visa will be/are valid.

Passport expires end of August 2008 - visa valid ongoing..

I am losing the plot with this now - aarrggghhh - sorry may not even making sense! LOL!

I need to know that I can get into UK and back in Australia without no problems.

I am transiting through SIngapore on both trips - 3 hours - will not leave the airport - so I assume that I will be fine there as well too.

Any peace of mind anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Tam
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

OK - so the latest....

I rang back the passport line - pretended i havent rang them for my status before so I didnt have to pay again.

So he told me the same - in the middle of processing could be another 10-15 working days away.

So I said i wanted to withdrawl the application, he gave the fax number again and i asked him a lot more questions about it this time.

The chick before didnt give me a reference number - he did!! He also said to write down my date of travel and fax through immediatly.

He also said he would place a follow up on the fax - as I wanted confirmation it was going to be recieved. he said to ring back Monday and they would give me the status on the withdrawl too! and he placed in my file notes there would be no charge - how nice!!

it takes 48 hours to action the fax/withdrawl it from its processing point and then it is next day delivery - so if I faxed through now it shoudl be Ok for Thursday - which of course I did!

Anyway, thought this was an interesting option - not feeling as sick anymore about it all and would rather lose the $300 odd dollars fee and be able to travel. (The cost of cancelling flights fees, having to sort out A/L from work again,etc is worth $300)

Any tips on getting my passport renewed whilst in UK??

Tamstar!
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tamstar
Yes - get back in Australia - my passport and visa will be/are valid.

I need to know that I can get into UK and back in Australia without no problems.

I am transiting through SIngapore on both trips - 3 hours - will not leave the airport - so I assume that I will be fine there as well too.

Any peace of mind anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Tam
I was thinking about this option too as my old passport has not yet expired.

If your passport is valid you can get back into the UK no matter how short the time until expiry, but I was concerned about whether there would be problems in Singapore if travelling with a passport with less than 6 months' validity. So I rang the Singapore High Commission in ACT, who thought it would not be a problem, but could not confirm this in writing. I also rang the Immigration Helpline in Singapore who, after some deliberation, referred me to the Immigration Duty Officer at Changi Airport. He told me that it should not be a problem because I would not be entering Singapore, but he was not permitted to put anything in writing. However, take comfort from the fact that not one of the people I spoke to thought that there would be a problem, provided I stayed in transit at the airport.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you not use a courier?
No I didnt use a courier big mistake. Will ring to see if they have recieved it though.
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:26 am
Just Joined

ok - Another update - can you believe it

The guy (Will) received my fax and called me to advise my passport is actually in the last stages and did I want to proceed the withdrawl!! of course I said - what does that mean......

So, it has to go to the examiners (and Will think is all looks fine - as it is a renewell and photo's look fine) so shouldnt be a problem, then it takes 15 mins to print!!! So it could be couriered Monday afternoon to me!!

He was lovely!!! Told me to ring him back Monday 2pm and he'll tell me more. If there is a problem with the examination then that is where the delay will be and I may want to withdraw it. again he thinks it will be fine.

FINGERS CROSSED

Plus he said they can also have it ready for me at the airport to collect Thursday night - the evening I fly out!! as that is quicker!!!

Wow- so much more information AT LAST.

So I called him every wonderful word in the world - told him that I loved him too LOL!! he was a really nice guy though - wanted to help me out.

So I'll update you all when I know more....

TamStar
Old May 26th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koalakim

The courier came about an hour ago so I am now the owner of a shiny new passport. I am so relieved!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.