Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NAB Gold Banking: no more free overseas ATM use

NAB Gold Banking: no more free overseas ATM use

Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default NAB Gold Banking: no more free overseas ATM use

I've often recommended NAB's Gold Banking account for its fee free overseas ATM withdrawals and great exchange rates when doing so.

Well it's coming to an end...letter in the post today:

From 10 August - $4 per withdrawal plus 2% currency fee.

So what are the freebie options left?

-28 degrees MasterCard preloaded with cash
-anything else???

NAB are bringing out one of those preloaded traveller cards - not really interested in that sort of thing.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all
Default Re: NAB Gold Banking: no more free overseas ATM use

May I suggest a one of the Platinum credit cards with Bankwest. Obviously you need to be eligible but they waive the foreign transaction fee (normally 2.95% on the other cards) and you can load the card up before you go. Though they do charge the $5 foreign ATM fee for cash withdrawals.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've often recommended NAB's Gold Banking account for its fee free overseas ATM withdrawals and great exchange rates when doing so.

Well it's coming to an end...letter in the post today:

From 10 August - $4 per withdrawal plus 2% currency fee.

So what are the freebie options left?

-28 degrees MasterCard preloaded with cash
-anything else???

NAB are bringing out one of those preloaded traveller cards - not really interested in that sort of thing.
Actually I didn't know about this, I have a NAB Gold and am visiting the UK in June, just how good are the exchange rates?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
Actually I didn't know about this, I have a NAB Gold and am visiting the UK in June, just how good are the exchange rates?
The exchange rates are fantastic - normally very close to the actual market exchange rate.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
The exchange rates are fantastic - normally very close to the actual market exchange rate.
Cool, I'll make use of it, thx.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank have a better option than NAB anyway

http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banki...ibank_plus.htm
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

I recommend the 28 degrees m/c
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

goldensurfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Citibank have a better option than NAB anyway

http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banki...ibank_plus.htm
I'm an NAB Gold account user and have been very happy with the zero fee structure in return for a high income deposit on the account every month. I got the letter recently from Chris Bayliss about NAB basically ending the Gold account by introducing the same fees as on the Classic account. The whole point of having the Gold account was for overseas use, with no currency conversion fees and no ATM withdrawal fees.

I've tried to open up a Citibank account but it looks like I will have to visit a branch of theirs in Australia. I'm currently residing and travelling overseas in Europe and had planned to do so for at least another year.

This change in NAB Gold Banking is really unfortunate and comes at a very bad time as I can't go back to open a new account to save roughly $100 a month. Flying back and here would cost me more than that.

Very bad service from NAB and short notice, too!

I'm going to write a complaint letter, let's hope if enough people do complain they may decide to grandfather the product for existing customers. I've been with NAB for almost 10 years but this is unheard of.
Old May 1st 2012, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldensurfer
Very bad service from NAB and short notice, too!

Three and a half months notice is not enough ??!!

They won't change their mind.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

goldensurfer is an unknown quantity at this point

well no.. I'm involved in a big project for about a year or so plus a summer trip and a flight to Oz and back just for thos would cost me too much time and money right now.

And maybe they will change their mind if enough people complain and threaten to move their funds to another bank. Check out http://www.facebook.com/nab, and twitter #NABBREAKUP #SAVEGOLD
Old May 4th 2012, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

Well, I'm voting with my feet and going to move to Citi. I hate it when companies change key parts of their products to customers' detriment and dress it up with simplification. Complain, by all means, but voting with your feet it what counts!

Besides, I'm not happy with their location of ATMs anyway - I spend more in ATM fees than I would at a bank with monthly fees.

LP
Old May 4th 2012, 12:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by litepurple
Well, I'm voting with my feet and going to move to Citi. I hate it when companies change key parts of their products to customers' detriment and dress it up with simplification. Complain, by all means, but voting with your feet it what counts!

Besides, I'm not happy with their location of ATMs anyway - I spend more in ATM fees than I would at a bank with monthly fees.

LP
I'd be careful with Citi. Hasn't the Aussie bank deposit guarantee expired, you'd need to check?

In any event Citi is pretty high on the list of banks that might to go tits up when the next leg of the global financial crisis kicks in.
Old May 4th 2012, 12:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I'm also breaking up with NAB for Citi. That includes my NAB Qantas credit card and its hefty annual fee.

I'm not too overjoyed about it...I previously got a Citi credit card and the application process was a textbook lesson in incompetence. In the end I stuck it out as it was worth it - 60k QFF points for $170. They've already stuffed up my CitiPlus application and now I have to toddle off to Aus Post to verify my ID...they didn't tell me my online verification failed though...I had to chase them.

Citi's financial standing isn't of any concern, my general transaction account hardly has any cash in it anyway and is only ever used to withdraw cash from the ATM. Otherwise than small amount everything is transferred straight out on pay day either to pay off credit cards or to savings.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

I've been in touch with Citi and they say they are covered under the protection scheme, up to $250k. Saying that, I will only be using them for transactions most likely anyway, unless they have good savings rates.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by litepurple

LP
I'm amazed that anyone uses ATMs at all. When you can get cash out at servos, supermarkets etc why would you use an ATM, let alone one that's going to charge you for the privilege?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.