Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:05 pm
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Dave,

For what it's worth, my advice is...stay in and get the 22-year pension that you deserve....the people I have spoken to have said that you are looking at 18 months to 2 years from applying to getting in if you are lucky...so for you it would be worth hanging on that extra couple of years before applying. Unless you are totally threaders and can't bear it any longer that is !!! Food for thought though

Cheers...Russ
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

steven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daveo69
Hi All,

First post on here so firstly hello all.

I too have recently submitted an application to transfer to the RAN. I'm just wondering how long the application normally takes? Or is it trade dependant? I've done 18 years in the RN so would have to think long and hard about giving up my (nearly) hard earned pension and going before my 22 years is up.

Good luck to all with your applications by the way.

Dave
Hi

I submit my 12 month notice to the RN in sept 2005, then a colleague who I have not seen for a number of years walked into the office and found out he was going through the last stages of joining the RAN. Talked to the wife about moving to OZ and she had a number of questions and concerns. However days latter when I was picking my wife up from work I saw the same colleague I talked to days before, started chatting to him when my wife came over, I introduced them she asked alot of question about the transfer, afterwards she said why not go for it, and now we fly out on the 3rd Oct.
However I have completed 22 years and have a pension, I would strongly advise you sort financial advice as you are close to pension time, you can get free financial advise from white ensign association. Even with my pension it was nice to confirm that I was on a sound financial footing prior to moving and everyone situations is different.

I'm a CWEA and it took 13 months,

Good luck

Steve
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:04 pm
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone any idea what the age limit is to join the Aussie Navy ?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russandkaren
Anyone any idea what the age limit is to join the Aussie Navy ?
On their website they are recruiting personal up to 48yr old. Ive just completed 22yrs and have been out here 5 months now. The pension comes in really handy though

Good Luck John
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
On their website they are recruiting personal up to 48yr old. Ive just completed 22yrs and have been out here 5 months now. The pension comes in really handy though

Good Luck John
Hi John

How are you getting on after 5 months, do you find it a better working environment? Did you have to drop a rank and if so how long do you think it is before you can get promotion? Can I ask how long it took for you to get your job offer and visa. I didn't think it was going to take 12-18 months. My hubby finishes his 22yrs in Feb 07 and we thought we would be able to move near enough straight away. Sorry about all the questions, have sent paperwork back now waiting.

Take care. Nicky
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Can anybody give me any info regarding when the Defence Community Organisation contact us to make a report about our expectations/financial situation/education issues. Am I right thinking this is for us to ask questions as much as them?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

clivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really nice

Originally Posted by Josie1100
Can anybody give me any info regarding when the Defence Community Organisation contact us to make a report about our expectations/financial situation/education issues. Am I right thinking this is for us to ask questions as much as them?
The DCO contacted us approx 4 weeks from them receiving all our paperwork, it was approx 11 at night (2300hrs - must get used to that again) and we had just returned from a night out so I guess the brandy helped. Loads of questions but nothing too taxing, they will speak with both of you and it really is a suitability stage to make sure you are both ready and understand the job. We were not asked any questions regarding job specifics but more on family, current political situation, the postings and schooling.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

My husband put in to transfer over to the Australian Navy 2 months ago. We are just starting the process of lots of paperwork and a 12/18 month transfer time. I am wondering if anybody is doing the same and has any advise about transfering military pensions and the whole transfer system?
Hi Josie
My husband is in the process of applying to join the RAN, I was wondering how far you had got with your application. Do you have children and have you had any concerns with them.. I have two 15 and 17 right in the middle of GCSE's and A'levels. Just wonder if you or anyone else might know what would happen with their education. If we wait for this stage to pass the eldest will be 18 will she be able to come,, (leave behind....not a bad idea!) How long does the process take?

Do they have to drop a rank, mine is due to get his wo1 next month.

Thanks for any replies.

Wooders
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

My husband put in to transfer over to the Australian Navy 2 months ago. We are just starting the process of lots of paperwork and a 12/18 month transfer time. I am wondering if anybody is doing the same and has any advise about transfering military pensions and the whole transfer system?
Hi

My Husband has just had his offer letter and we are waiting for the Immigration side of things to kick in - we have had our telephone interviews and the paperwork has all been processed to create a 6 year contract!

He is in the Royal Navy at the moment and his notice has been in since September 06 - he starts his job in Canberra in September 07!

Let me know how far you are into the process - I have a few tips as to what to do to speed things up as the process is set to change this year to move things along alot faster

Angie
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Hi

My hubby is in the process of joining Australian Navy and we had our telephone interview in December. We are now waiting for the report to reach Canberra so the contract can be sent to us. This is ready to be sent so just waiting for the report. I didn't realise it would take so long but hubby doesn't actually finish in Royal Navy till end of Feb so we've still got a few weeks to go. We have 2 boys aged 11 and 15 so schooling is my biggest concern especially for the 15 year old, but I'm sure they will cope and settle ok. Hope all goes well with your application. Any pointers on hurrying the process greatly appreciated.

Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by littlenick
Hi

My hubby is in the process of joining Australian Navy and we had our telephone interview in December. We are now waiting for the report to reach Canberra so the contract can be sent to us. This is ready to be sent so just waiting for the report. I didn't realise it would take so long but hubby doesn't actually finish in Royal Navy till end of Feb so we've still got a few weeks to go. We have 2 boys aged 11 and 15 so schooling is my biggest concern especially for the 15 year old, but I'm sure they will cope and settle ok. Hope all goes well with your application. Any pointers on hurrying the process greatly appreciated.

Nicky
The REDLO gives all of the required info and advice on Schooling - my kids will be 11,15 & 16 when we get there. I have DVD's, School list, curricullums from state to state etc that have been sent through. We now have a rough idea of where we are regarding schooling. PLUS the added benefit of having the option of tutors to assess and possibly play catch up is excellent.

My Hubby came back from a trip to see his brother in Brisbane in December - whilst he was there he managed to go to the 1st test at the Gabba - days 2 and 3! It wasn't too bad then - it got worse over time though - the cricket that is!!! We now have contact details and have spoken to the regional eduction officer in Brisbane and Canberra.

He also opened a Bank Account while he was there. We have already started to transfer money because the exchange rate is good at the moment!!!

We started our application in December 2005 - all medicals for hubby done by May - RPL Pack completed and sent off by July - DCO Interview in September - Job Offer December - now waiting on rest. Fingers crossed the immigration are getting sorted at there end
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Smile Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by nev_n_angie
The REDLO gives all of the required info and advice on Schooling - my kids will be 11,15 & 16 when we get there. I have DVD's, School list, curricullums from state to state etc that have been sent through. We now have a rough idea of where we are regarding schooling. PLUS the added benefit of having the option of tutors to assess and possibly play catch up is excellent.

My Hubby came back from a trip to see his brother in Brisbane in December - whilst he was there he managed to go to the 1st test at the Gabba - days 2 and 3! It wasn't too bad then - it got worse over time though - the cricket that is!!! We now have contact details and have spoken to the regional eduction officer in Brisbane and Canberra.

He also opened a Bank Account while he was there. We have already started to transfer money because the exchange rate is good at the moment!!!

We started our application in December 2005 - all medicals for hubby done by May - RPL Pack completed and sent off by July - DCO Interview in September - Job Offer December - now waiting on rest. Fingers crossed the immigration are getting sorted at there end

Thanks for this info it is very useful, are your kids likely to be in the middle of exams or will they have taken them? I would prefer my 15 year old to get her GCSE's out the way but it may not be possible depending on how long this takes.

Hubby has had the medicals and is just about to send the form off. I understand that on joining they drop a rank? I do wonder what this must be like for them when they are at the top of their current tree. Did you hubby have any thoughts on this, what is he at the moment if you don;t mind me asking. Mine says he is always looking for a new challenge and this is our only option to emigrate to Aus (something we have always wanted to try) What about yourself have you considered your job prospects or had any issues with what you would want to do? I'm not worried about my job (can't say I love it to be honest!) I guess I would be prepared to do anything really, are there any problems for us working over there. Sorry so many questions!!!!!!

Cheers to all who share their experience and advice
Regards
Kate
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wooders
Thanks for this info it is very useful, are your kids likely to be in the middle of exams or will they have taken them? I would prefer my 15 year old to get her GCSE's out the way but it may not be possible depending on how long this takes.

Hubby has had the medicals and is just about to send the form off. I understand that on joining they drop a rank? I do wonder what this must be like for them when they are at the top of their current tree. Did you hubby have any thoughts on this, what is he at the moment if you don;t mind me asking. Mine says he is always looking for a new challenge and this is our only option to emigrate to Aus (something we have always wanted to try) What about yourself have you considered your job prospects or had any issues with what you would want to do? I'm not worried about my job (can't say I love it to be honest!) I guess I would be prepared to do anything really, are there any problems for us working over there. Sorry so many questions!!!!!!

Cheers to all who share their experience and advice
Regards
Kate
Hi Kate

My eldest shouldn't be doing exams by the time we leave. From what I understand I think they will go back a year as they start school a year later than over here.

We have heard the same about dropping a rank over there but hubby is not to concerned (he is a cpowea). We have always wanted to emigrate and this was the easiest option to get over to Australia. If we were going civvy route he would probably have to start at the bottomish. At least they will know most of what is expected of them.

I have been working in a pre-school (part time) for the past few years but at the moment I am not working. I'm going to wait until we all get settled out there before I think about looking for work. When we had the phone call they did say there is assistance for wives to look for work (don't know exactly what that means).

Hope this helps.

Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by littlenick
Hi Kate

My eldest shouldn't be doing exams by the time we leave. From what I understand I think they will go back a year as they start school a year later than over here.

We have heard the same about dropping a rank over there but hubby is not to concerned (he is a cpowea). We have always wanted to emigrate and this was the easiest option to get over to Australia. If we were going civvy route he would probably have to start at the bottomish. At least they will know most of what is expected of them.

I have been working in a pre-school (part time) for the past few years but at the moment I am not working. I'm going to wait until we all get settled out there before I think about looking for work. When we had the phone call they did say there is assistance for wives to look for work (don't know exactly what that means).

Hope this helps.

Nicky
www.defence.gov.au/dco

www.det.act.gov.au
schools
curriculun renewal
learning and teaching
curric docs

www.www.aisnsw.edu.au

www.nsw.edu.au

We have been sent info on travelling teens and 'school passports' which look great!

I have lists of schools and term dates etc - the DCO interivew is well worth it! Having a chat and getting in contact details for the REDLO is worth the effort. I almost seem to have been given too MUCH! information! I have no worries on the schooling now
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

bucktaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent an e-mail off to the RAN at the begining of January. Does anyone know how long it will take before they get back to me and what happens next. I haven't put my notice in yet as I have no idea how long the process takes, 12-18 months seems the norm according to this forum.
Cheers for any advice
Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.