Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of
Default any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

My husband put in to transfer over to the Australian Navy 2 months ago. We are just starting the process of lots of paperwork and a 12/18 month transfer time. I am wondering if anybody is doing the same and has any advise about transfering military pensions and the whole transfer system?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by Josie1100
My husband put in to transfer over to the Australian Navy 2 months ago. We are just starting the process of lots of paperwork and a 12/18 month transfer time. I am wondering if anybody is doing the same and has any advise about transfering military pensions and the whole transfer system?

there's a few doing the army route , not sure about the navy though.

If you do a search some one was asking about transfering military pensions a while back.
Oh and welcome to BE
Mandy
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

hi
My hubby is in the process of applying to join the RAN. His first email to them was in February this year. We received the pack and started the paperwork. He had his medical and we sent the paperwork back by courier beginning of July. There was a query with an old knee problem and one of the blood tests had not been done so we got that sorted and send the paperwork back so now the wait begins again. My hubby is due out Feb 07 so we are hoping to be out there when he finishes. As for military pensions we haven't looked into that yet we've decided to wait until we get the thumbs up. We may get asked to go to London in October if all goes well. Good luck with the paperwork and if we can help in any other way let me know. Is your hubby due out soon and what trade is he? Apparently there are a lot applying.
Nicky
Old Sep 1st 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

Yes we are but still at early stages, waiting for a reply from original paperwork being sent off. Dont think you can transfer pensions but think they may give you a good start with theirs. Not 100% sure though.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

clivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really nice
Unhappy Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hi im in the process of joining the ARA. We have had the Labour Agreement back from DIMA and have sent our medicals and Visa application off last week so now its just waiting for the final approval. You cannot transfere your pension but you must declare it or you will find your self with a bill for thousands of $ about two years after you arrive (even if it is only paid into a UK account). I have received a from from the UK tax office to allow the Military pension to be paid UK tax free so it then will only be paying Aus tax.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I joined the RAN 3 years ago today. I served in the RN for 24 years leaving in Sep 03 as a CPO(C) Although I still refer to myself as a CRS. Anyway please send a private message and I can give you a mass of info if you require and would only be too glad to help.

Yours Aye

Terry
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We are waiting on the application pack in the post. My husband has served 16 years and will be basically giving up a lot of pension/lump sum as far as we can see. We are kind of caught up in the loop of do you go now or do your full time? I guess if it is quality and not quantity then we are best to do it now?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:51 am
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchy
Hi, I joined the RAN 3 years ago today. I served in the RN for 24 years leaving in Sep 03 as a CPO(C) Although I still refer to myself as a CRS. Anyway please send a private message and I can give you a mass of info if you require and would only be too glad to help.

Yours Aye

Terry
Hi Terry,

First post on here, but thinking about transferring to the RAN. Currently serving...done nearly 20 years and would be very interested in the mass of info you have !! Not sure how to 'pm' though ?! Any help gratefully received. Thanks ..Russ
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by russandkaren
Hi Terry,

First post on here, but thinking about transferring to the RAN. Currently serving...done nearly 20 years and would be very interested in the mass of info you have !! Not sure how to 'pm' though ?! Any help gratefully received. Thanks ..Russ
Hi Russ,

Just click on my login name and a box will pop up. All you do is click on send a private message.

Terry
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gozzey
Yes we are but still at early stages, waiting for a reply from original paperwork being sent off. Dont think you can transfer pensions but think they may give you a good start with theirs. Not 100% sure though.
You are right about the pension. The armed forces in Australia do not have a pension as we would know it. In Oz its called Superannuation. The good thing about this is that they recognise your time in the UK Forces and depending on the number of years you did this counts towards the amount of money that the Government puts into your Super. Every worker in Oz must by law pay atleast 5% of their salary into Super and this is matched by the Government and like I said more depending on your former service.
I also get my UK Armed Forces pension paid into my Oz bank account and this you have to declare on your tax return. You pay tax on it here in Oz but are exempt from UK Income Tax.

Regards

Terry
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

hi we are too just waiting for bloods from hubby to send back first lot of paperwork . Hubby started terminal leave yesterday and starts a job monday . We started the process late as we wanted to visit oz first which wasnt until april . Had dinner with littlenick and hubby last night , so we are a friendly bunch and will help you out with things as the paperwork is unbelieveable , photocopy , photocopy and more photocopy every thing . Good luck janet
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Originally Posted by janet66
hi we are too just waiting for bloods from hubby to send back first lot of paperwork . Hubby started terminal leave yesterday and starts a job monday . We started the process late as we wanted to visit oz first which wasnt until april . Had dinner with littlenick and hubby last night , so we are a friendly bunch and will help you out with things as the paperwork is unbelieveable , photocopy , photocopy and more photocopy every thing . Good luck janet
Hi Jan

Just wanted to say thanks for last nite and we will get together really soon. Hope you get the bloods back asap so you can get the paperwork off. Take care. If we can help anyone else in any way please don't hesistate to get in touch, as Janet said we are a friendly bunch. Nicky x
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we sent in our paperwork in July, found out they received the paperwork begining of August & nothing to date - how long was it before u found out if they wanted you?
My hubbie just turned 45, leaves mob 2012 and is a submariner (CRS(sm)) - We have asked them to advise us if we have a good chance with getting in as soon as possible - who knows how long that will take!!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flo&mags
Hi, we sent in our paperwork in July, found out they received the paperwork begining of August & nothing to date - how long was it before u found out if they wanted you?
My hubbie just turned 45, leaves mob 2012 and is a submariner (CRS(sm)) - We have asked them to advise us if we have a good chance with getting in as soon as possible - who knows how long that will take!!
Hi flo&mags

Sounds like you sent your paperwork back the same time as we did. Had a small query with hubbys medical history (old knee problem, as most of them have, and a blood test not completed). Managed to get reports written and blood test done within days and sent it back. They received it on 25 August and we have heard no more. So we are in limboland again. Hope we all hear some news very soon. Take care Nicky
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Daveo69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

First post on here so firstly hello all.

I too have recently submitted an application to transfer to the RAN. I'm just wondering how long the application normally takes? Or is it trade dependant? I've done 18 years in the RN so would have to think long and hard about giving up my (nearly) hard earned pension and going before my 22 years is up.

Good luck to all with your applications by the way.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.