Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any one in melbourne,

any one in melbourne,

Old May 12th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any one in melbourne,

Originally Posted by Deancm
I personally wouldn't live anywhere further east than Warrigal Road. Further out than that and the suburbs become soulless.
The villages around and in the Dandenong Ranges are anything but souless and still have access to plenty of facilities. However, I would choose to live inner city if single.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
The villages around and in the Dandenong Ranges are anything but souless and still have access to plenty of facilities. However, I would choose to live inner city if single.
The villages in the Dandenongs are pretty but:

1) There is virtually no infrastructure

2) There is nothing to do

3) It is a bushfire zone

4) It is miles away from the CBD
Old May 12th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

There is plenty if you are on the outskirts

Bizzare statement - there is heaps and heaps to do - national park, wildlife, sports, arts, pubs, cafes/restaurants, short hop to wineries, lakes....

3) It is a bushfire zone

Yes - but hasn't stopped people living here for hundreds of years - again, we're on the outskirts, so easier escape.

45 mins by train - too far for many, fine for others.
It's not for everyone - but as I said, not souless. Very different feel to most outer burbs.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:50 am
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deancm View Post

There is plenty if you are on the outskirts
The outskirts is not the Dandenong Ranges

Bizzare statement - there is heaps and heaps to do - national park, wildlife, sports, arts, pubs, cafes/restaurants, short hop to wineries, lakes....
National park; nice for a walk around every once in a while. Wildlife; apart from look at them there is nothing else to do with them and they are in the nationa park anyway (unless you go to Healsville Sanctuary).

Sports? Limited

Pubs? Like the pool bar in Ferntree Gully with all the other FTG rednecks? I'd rather slit my wrists!

Wineries: Are not in the villages required to drive, which isn't wise if you are drinking wine! The Police are nazis re. drinking and driving.

Cafes/restaurants: Not many and not very good. The Cuckoo is rubbish! The closest decent restaurants are at Knox and they aren't that good either.

3) It is a bushfire zone

Yes - but hasn't stopped people living here for hundreds of years - again, we're on the outskirts, so easier escape.
No it hasn't... and they wonder why their house burns down. Hmmm...

45 mins by train - too far for many, fine for others.
It's not for everyone - but as I said, not souless. Very different feel to most outer burbs.
45 mins is a bit ambitious. I would say closer to an hour. It's 45 mins from Glen Waverley and that is much, much closer to town. If you need to catch a train the problem is getting to the train station because the bus service is near non-existant and finishes a 9pm.

Yes, very different feel to the suburbs. It is afterall in the forest.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

The outskirts is not the Dandenong Ranges

National park; nice for a walk around every once in a while. Wildlife; apart from look at them there is nothing else to do with them and they are in the nationa park anyway (unless you go to Healsville Sanctuary).

Sports? Limited

Pubs? Like the pool bar in Ferntree Gully with all the other FTG rednecks? I'd rather slit my wrists!

Wineries: Are not in the villages required to drive, which isn't wise if you are drinking wine! The Police are nazis re. drinking and driving.

Cafes/restaurants: Not many and not very good. The Cuckoo is rubbish! The closest decent restaurants are at Knox and they aren't that good either.

No it hasn't... and they wonder why their house burns down. Hmmm...

45 mins is a bit ambitious. I would say closer to an hour. It's 45 mins from Glen Waverley and that is much, much closer to town. If you need to catch a train the problem is getting to the train station because the bus service is near non-existant and finishes a 9pm.

Yes, very different feel to the suburbs. It is afterall in the forest.

I can see from your answers that you exploration of the hills is very limited

I am in The Basin which is semi-rural and borders the Dandenong Ranges - walking tracks from our village.

Pubs - I am not talking about Ferntree Gully - again, you obviously haven't sampled the delights of The Oaktree Tavern & Acorn in The Basin (10 mins walk from us) or The Pig & Whistle and Kellys in Olinda.

Sports - what is limited about the facilities

Restaurants - I suggest you try some more - Cuckoo is hardly an example.

The train from Boronia is 45-50 mins depending whether you get an express or not. This is fact, as I take the train often.

Don't understand why you're trying to pull my comments apart - just saying that there are outer burbs that are not typical.

Anyway, back to Frankston . Never lived there - not really my cup of tea, but there are some nice properties in Frankston South.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Let's be constructive Deancm. Where would you suggest the OP considers living?
Old May 12th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

You're totally right, it is! Also agree that it's as rough as ar**holes, we stopped off at the Maccas one Sat night on our way back to Melbourne and no word of a lie we saw a girl having a crap beside a car [/QUOTE]

Nice

A couple of years ago my BIL and myself were coming out of the Royal Hotel in Mornington at about 8.00pm. In between 2 cars were a couple of Irish girls squatting down having a pee

Does that mean that all Irish girls are as rough as ar**holes or that everyone in Mornington is? no of course not it means that they were pissed out of their heads and this is the same as anywhere that has pubs and clubs, Frankston, any town in Australia or the UK for that matter.

There is a massive amount of snobbery on this site about what suburb or Town you live in. Nowhere is perfect and some places suit some people and not others.

John
Old May 12th 2009, 5:19 am
Account Closed

I can see from your answers that you exploration of the hills is very limited

I am in The Basin which is semi-rural and borders the Dandenong Ranges - walking tracks from our village.

Pubs - I am not talking about Ferntree Gully - again, you obviously haven't sampled the delights of The Oaktree Tavern & Acorn in The Basin (10 mins walk from us) or The Pig & Whistle and Kellys in Olinda.

Sports - what is limited about the facilities

Restaurants - I suggest you try some more - Cuckoo is hardly an example.

The train from Boronia is 45-50 mins depending whether you get an express or not. This is fact, as I take the train often.

Don't understand why you're trying to pull my comments apart - just saying that there are outer burbs that are not typical.

Anyway, back to Frankston . Never lived there - not really my cup of tea, but there are some nice properties in Frankston South.
I know The Basin very well and that was the first place I lived when I moved to Australia in 1982. There is not a lot to do around there, at all.

Re. the train from Boronia. That is not the Dandenong Ranges. I was talking from Belgrave.

The Oaktree Tavern & Acorn... I'll give that a miss thank you. Obviously my tastes differ from yours.

Olinda is nice for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Caroline G
Let's be constructive Deancm. Where would you suggest the OP considers living?
I did mention previously not further out than Warrigal Rd.

I would go to Malvern, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Glen Iris, Caulfield, Bentleigh, Sandringham or any of those ares closer to the CBD. Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill is a good area but not much going on (low crime). Burwood. The there is always Knox, which is OK; good infrastructure.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I know The Basin very well and that was the first place I lived when I moved to Australia in 1982. There is not a lot to do around there, at all.

Re. the train from Boronia. That is not the Dandenong Ranges. I was talking from Belgrave.

The Oaktree Tavern & Acorn... I'll give that a miss thank you. Obviously my tastes differ from yours.

Olinda is nice for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
The Basin has changed a huge amount since 1982 as you can imagine. There is lots to do in and around The Basin - especially with a young family. In fact, even after three years, we struggle to fit everything in. Again, our tastes are different than yours

The Oaktree is a fab little traditional pub and the Acorn has some good food - both have Old Speckled Hen on tap and are very friendly, great places to drink. They are not the place for singles, looking for some action etc.

I'm not talking about the train from Belgrave. You can live on the edge of The Ranges and get into the city in less than an hour. Same time as it took me to travel to Bristol from my old home 5 miles away.

I wouldn't choose to live in Olinda either - but love that I can pop there for a coffee etc.

Right now - I think I'll finish defending my neck of the woods, because your tone is quite rude and condescending and is not helping the OP at all.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:01 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I did mention previously not further out than Warrigal Rd.

I would go to Malvern, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Glen Iris, Caulfield, Bentleigh, Sandringham or any of those ares closer to the CBD. Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill is a good area but not much going on (low crime). Burwood. The there is always Knox, which is OK; good infrastructure.
In what area are you currently residing?
Old May 12th 2009, 8:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

The Basin has changed a huge amount since 1982 as you can imagine. There is lots to do in and around The Basin - especially with a young family. In fact, even after three years, we struggle to fit everything in. Again, our tastes are different than yours

The Oaktree is a fab little traditional pub and the Acorn has some good food - both have Old Speckled Hen on tap and are very friendly, great places to drink. They are not the place for singles, looking for some action etc.
Don't forget the ladies night. Even get mad scottish women from Glen Waverley turning up

The food served in the dragon fly cafe was as good as you would get on the high street Armadale or Glenferrie in Malvern or Hawthorn. Service was more attentive as well.

For me 20 mins is max from CBD but no reason others cannot enjoy a "different" location. How boring if you all turned up in my inner suburb.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Right now - I think I'll finish defending my neck of the woods, because your tone is quite rude and condescending and is not helping the OP at all.
My tone is condescending? I am amazed how people can hear tones from a typed message. No, I am not condescending, just typing in a manner that is matter of fact so that I can get my point across without an overly long diatribe to save time.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
In what area are you currently residing?
St Kilda. Which I think is the best place in Melb bar none. But that is my personal preference and it all comes down to personal circumstances, kids or not, and affordability.

Last edited by Deancm; May 12th 2009 at 8:19 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

My tone is condescending? I am amazed how people can hear tones from a typed message. No, I am not condescending, just typing in a manner that is matter of fact so that I can get my point across without an overly long diatribe to save time.
For example, labelling Frankston a shit-hole. Not very helpful really. Perhaps better described as a 'feral version of St Kilda'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.