Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any one in melbourne,

any one in melbourne,

Old May 11th 2009, 9:04 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: any one in melbourne,

I have relatives that live in Frankston North and have done for 20 years. According to them, Frankston North specifically has had a bad reputation and has been a bit rough in the past. In recent years, it has cleared up a lot and isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be but the reputation is still there. There's been a lot of new development/re-juvination in recent years and much more is apparently to come.

I can't comment definitively myself as I've never lived there (except for a 6-week holiday a few years ago). My own perception is that it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I suspect that much of what is said is bluster and based on a previously bad reputation as opposed to the current state of affairs.

Just my 2c worth.

- CDM
Old May 11th 2009, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM
I have relatives that live in Frankston North and have done for 20 years. According to them, Frankston North specifically has had a bad reputation and has been a bit rough in the past. In recent years, it has cleared up a lot and isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be but the reputation is still there. There's been a lot of new development/re-juvination in recent years and much more is apparently to come.

I can't comment definitively myself as I've never lived there (except for a 6-week holiday a few years ago). My own perception is that it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I suspect that much of what is said is bluster and based on a previously bad reputation as opposed to the current state of affairs.

Just my 2c worth.

- CDM
It still gets very violent on the weekends. Lots of fights around the pubs, bars and clubs.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:24 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
So you disagree with my opinion? From your sig you have only been in Oz for 10 months... So you don't have the 20 odd years experience of Melbourne that I do?

Frankston is a shithole and it's also got one of the highest crime rates in Melb. And Langwarring is in the middle of nowhere. But then again, so is Packenham. I'm sure you have a lot of fun with your six fingered friends... Or maybe your sister!
Well I've been here four years obviously not as long as you and no way do I think Frankston is a shithole, yes Langwarrin is a bit out of the way but if you don't mind that it's a nice enough area.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:27 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

It still gets very violent on the weekends. Lots of fights around the pubs, bars and clubs.
Doesn't that happen where ever there are pubs, bars and clubs?
Old May 11th 2009, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
Well I've been here four years obviously not as long as you and no way do I think Frankston is a shithole, yes Langwarrin is a bit out of the way but if you don't mind that it's a nice enough area.
I personally wouldn't live anywhere further east than Warrigal Road. Further out than that and the suburbs become soulless.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Doesn't that happen where ever there are pubs, bars and clubs?
Not really. don't get much around Sth Yarra, Prahran, Sth Melb and St Kilda. The CBD is a hotspot and so is Frankston. Those areas have a long histroy for it.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:35 am

Not really. don't get much around Sth Yarra, Prahran, Sth Melb and St Kilda. The CBD is a hotspot and so is Frankston. Those areas have a long histroy for it.
Or maybe it gets highlighted more, wasn't there a fatal stabbing in St.Kilda David Hooks I believe, then I've read about a few incidents and also seen a few there.

I personally wouldn't live anywhere further east than Warrigal Road. Further out than that and the suburbs become soulless.
Yes a lot of soulless suburbs, I live in one. I don't find Frankston soulless but all about opinions.

I wouldn't mind living there.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Or maybe it gets highlighted more, wasn't there a fatal stabbing in St.Kilda David Hooks I believe, then I've read about a few incidents and also seen a few there.

Yes a lot of soulless suburbs, I live in one. I don't find Frankston soulless but all about opinions.

I wouldn't mind living there.
Frankston Police station is one of the busiest in the state and it's mostly violence related.

Have a look at the stats. Way above the state average:

http://myboot.com.au/3199/Frankston/...statistic.aspx
Old May 11th 2009, 10:01 am

Frankston Police station is one of the busiest in the state and it's mostly violence related.

Have a look at the stats. Way above the state average:

http://myboot.com.au/3199/Frankston/...statistic.aspx
Yes but there are a large amount of watering holes there, a lot of suburbs have none. Surely a contributing factor.

Besides trouble like that can be avoided I've lived in a lot more violent places than Frankston and never had any problems.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Besides trouble like that can be avoided I've lived in a lot more violent places than Frankston and never had any problems.[/QUOTE]

So have I,

I have had many a night out in Frankston and have lived to tell the tale.

I go out in Mornington a fair bit and whilst it is a good night out you still see the odd bit of trouble. No where is immune from fights etc when booze is being served and that is a sad fact of life
Old May 11th 2009, 1:42 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Frankston has a reputation as beign one of the worst areas in Australia...probably more dangerous than home.

If you speak to any australians overseas don't tell them where you plan to live.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: any one in melbourne,

we stayed with reli's in frankston south and it was really nice very familyl oriented and pleasant....
Old May 11th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Weebie;7561319]Frankston has a reputation as beign one of the worst areas in Australia...probably more dangerous than home.

What a load of crap, normally written by people who have never even set foot in the place.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:08 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=jond;7562515]
Originally Posted by Weebie
Frankston has a reputation as beign one of the worst areas in Australia...probably more dangerous than home.

What a load of crap, normally written by people who have never even set foot in the place.
Yeah, I wouldnt go as far as that. The actual suburb is relatively quiet, like most boring Australian suburbs. Frankston centre is like Dandenong centre only on the beach.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Deancm;7563037]
Originally Posted by jond
Frankston centre is like Dandenong centre only on the beach.
You're totally right, it is! Also agree that it's as rough as ar**holes, we stopped off at the Maccas one Sat night on our way back to Melbourne and no word of a lie we saw a girl having a crap beside a car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.