Any one in Cairns?

Any one in Cairns?

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:02 am
Just Joined

T-Rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any one in Cairns?

Hi

Has any one recently moved to Cairns?

If so, what are the employment prospects? I currently work as Financial Management Accountant and would be looking to come in on a State Regional Sponsored Visa.

Also how are you finding the general cost of living and quality of life.

We have 2 children aged 9 and 6, so info on schooling would be great.

Many thanks

Sue
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one in Cairns?

About 140,000 in Cairns at last estimate.

There are accountancy jobs advertised every week.
At what level you could start will depend on how your skills transfer over to the Australian equivalents.

Have a look at these websites to get a feel for what's available in Cairns. They are the 2 biggest online recruitment websites and although every job would not be on there it'll give you a flavour.
http://www.seek.com.au/index.ascx?tracking=googleau
http://www.careerone.com.au/

What type of visa is that ?
Is it an actual Queensland state sponsored one or do you mean the employer sponsored RSMS ?

Check out this thread for some school information
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...cairns+schools
and follow the links in my post 11 for some info you may find useful.

We came here from Cornwall over 4 years ago and found the cost of living a lot lower. Don't know if that's the case today as am out of touch with UK costs.

There have been a few expat arrivals recently so will let them asnswer that one. They have also just done the school selection processes but in general I think they agree with my previous posts.

There's also a lady accountant who arrived this week on a sponsored RSMS visa.

Quality of life ? Maaaaagic. Boooootiful. Puuuuuurfik.
We love it.
Will you just look at this.....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=paradise
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix

There are accountancy jobs advertised every week.
At what level you could start will depend on how your skills transfer over to the Australian equivalents.

Have a look at these websites to get a feel for what's available in Cairns. They are the 2 biggest online recruitment websites and although every job would not be on there it'll give you a flavour.
http://www.seek.com.au/index.ascx?tracking=googleau
http://www.careerone.com.au/

What type of visa is that ?
Is it an actual Queensland state sponsored one or do you mean the employer sponsored RSMS ?

Check out this thread for some school information
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...cairns+schools
and follow the links in my post 11 for some info you may find useful.

We came here from Cornwall over 4 years ago and found the cost of living a lot lower. Don't know if that's the case today as am out of touch with UK costs.

There have been a few expat arrivals recently so will let them asnswer that one. They have also just done the school selection processes but in general I think they agree with my previous posts.

We love it.
Will you just look at this.....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=paradise
Many thanks for your advice.

I am a Qualified Accountant, but I am willing to look at all job options. We are looking at the State Sponsored Regional Visa 475.

It sounds like life is great there and that is really what we are looking for to spend more quality time with our kids.

Are there any suburbs which you could recommend to us, which would suit us as a family best?

Many thanks
Sue and family
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:37 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

hi as bix said cairns is beautiful and stunning you will not be dissappointed if you choose to live here.

we have been here 5 weeks and have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of expats and locals.

There is everything you could want here and more beside As for cost of living in all honesty I would say its about the same, you pay more for things like cakes and yoghurts, ice lollies etc but you pay a lot less for meat etc, so by the end of the shop it all works out about the same. Veg can cost a bit more from supermarket but we go to the local farmers market on a weekend and buy all our fruit and veg there, the taste is so much better than Asda, Tesco etc.

Cairns is not as built up as say Brisbane Perth and thats what I like about it and its quite simple to find your way round.

Wehave found a good way to get involved is to join the local football club unfortunately for the past 2 weeks we seem to be there everyday because of pre season but its a great way to meet people.

Amyway I have waffled on enough, but cairns gets my
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wardy2
hi as bix said cairns is beautiful and stunning you will not be dissappointed if you choose to live here.

we have been here 5 weeks and have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of expats and locals.

There is everything you could want here and more beside As for cost of living in all honesty I would say its about the same, you pay more for things like cakes and yoghurts, ice lollies etc but you pay a lot less for meat etc, so by the end of the shop it all works out about the same. Veg can cost a bit more from supermarket but we go to the local farmers market on a weekend and buy all our fruit and veg there, the taste is so much better than Asda, Tesco etc.

Cairns is not as built up as say Brisbane Perth and thats what I like about it and its quite simple to find your way round.

Wehave found a good way to get involved is to join the local football club unfortunately for the past 2 weeks we seem to be there everyday because of pre season but its a great way to meet people.

Amyway I have waffled on enough, but cairns gets my
Many thanks, it sounds like we have picked the best location.

What we really want is a better quality of life with our children and we prefer that it is not as built up.

We will definately push on with our application.

Thanks
Sue and family
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I did a run down on suburbs in this thread Sue
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=cairns+state
Just my opinion of course but will help you exclude a lot.

Sending you a PM.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix

We love it.
Are you meaning me Bix?!! I arrived this week, landed on 12/2/09!! Dont start work till monday (23/2/09) but went out for lunch with a manager and a partner the monday just gone and they were both v.friendly. Much more open and relaxed than UK managers/partners (sorry if you are one!).

I landed not knowing anything at all about Cairns. I thought the brown stuff shown on google maps on the main esplanade was sand!! Its actually mud flats with mangroves resurfing!

The scenary is booooootiful (using Bix's word). I went into the rain forest yesterday and flew above the canopy (in a sky rail car!).

I would recommend it, on the people aspect, scenary, and weather! [Cant really comment on the job cause haven't started yet].

My only advice would be to only move if you have a job already lined up - they pay for relocation costs and visa, and your guaranteed income within x number of weeks. For me (with no savings) it was too risky to come out with no job. Cairns is also feeling the effect of the credit crunch (although a lot lot less than the UK and other oz cities) - shops/bars/hotels are slowly going insolvent.

Anyhow, in summary. I landed in the dark (actually midday but you know what i mean) and I love it. And so far, its only rained at night, not during the day! Although it is forecasted storms for Sat & Sun...
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by T-Rex

I am a Qualified Accountant, but I am willing to look at all job options. We are looking at the State Sponsored Regional Visa 475.

It sounds like life is great there and that is really what we are looking for to spend more quality time with our kids.

Are there any suburbs which you could recommend to us, which would suit us as a family best?

Many thanks
Sue and family
It was a condition of my employment that I got an RSMS 119 (permanent residency visa). Something about employer having to guarantee medical costs on 475 but not on 119...something odd like that. Someone here will know more! On a 119 the employer have fewer legal obligations. The 119 PR was fine by me cause employer paid anyway and it gives you a bit more security.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Are you meaning me Bix?!! I arrived this week, landed on 12/2/09!! Dont start work till monday (23/2/09) but went out for lunch with a manager and a partner the monday just gone and they were both v.friendly. Much more open and relaxed than UK managers/partners (sorry if you are one!).

I landed not knowing anything at all about Cairns. I thought the brown stuff shown on google maps on the main esplanade was sand!! Its actually mud flats with mangroves resurfing!

The scenary is booooootiful (using Bix's word). I went into the rain forest yesterday and flew above the canopy (in a sky rail car!).

I would recommend it, on the people aspect, scenary, and weather! [Cant really comment on the job cause haven't started yet].

My only advice would be to only move if you have a job already lined up - they pay for relocation costs and visa, and your guaranteed income within x number of weeks. For me (with no savings) it was too risky to come out with no job. Cairns is also feeling the effect of the credit crunch (although a lot lot less than the UK and other oz cities) - shops/bars/hotels are slowly going insolvent.

Anyhow, in summary. I landed in the dark (actually midday but you know what i mean) and I love it. And so far, its only rained at night, not during the day! Although it is forecasted storms for Sat & Sun...

A am also looking for a Job Sponsored Visa, being a fellow accountant could you give me any tips?

I really appreciate your help.

Regards
Sue
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T-Rex

A am also looking for a Job Sponsored Visa, being a fellow accountant could you give me any tips?

I really appreciate your help.

Regards
Sue
I was quite lazy and focussed on the Big accountancy firms (the names that are in the UK). I applied direct to the firm on their Oz website, making sure i ticked the 'dont have a right to work in Oz' (or a statement to that effect). I went onto accountant firms websites and checked what jobs were available and applied. It just so happened that there was a job in Cairns which is why i ended up in Cairns - i was originally hoping to go to Melbourne or Brisbane!

But as Bix said, you can do internet searches for jobs or search for accountant firms (a bit like the yellow pages) and see if any of those have websites with online application process or email cv off.

Cairns is short on accountants at the moment (i think) and so the whole interviews to job offer was really quick - way quicker than the uk!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:24 am
Just Joined

I was quite lazy and focussed on the Big accountancy firms (the names that are in the UK). I applied direct to the firm on their Oz website, making sure i ticked the 'dont have a right to work in Oz' (or a statement to that effect). I went onto accountant firms websites and checked what jobs were available and applied. It just so happened that there was a job in Cairns which is why i ended up in Cairns - i was originally hoping to go to Melbourne or Brisbane!

But as Bix said, you can do internet searches for jobs or search for accountant firms (a bit like the yellow pages) and see if any of those have websites with online application process or email cv off.

Cairns is short on accountants at the moment (i think) and so the whole interviews to job offer was really quick - way quicker than the uk!
That's great advice, thank you.

I have already started compiling a list of accountants so I will definaltey follow this up.

Hopefully I will be as lucky as you!

Regards
Sue
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Are you meaning me Bix?!!
I was indeed Leanne.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
I was indeed Leanne.
It's nice to be remembered, but really, im no lady! Lass, girl, chick, chuck etc. Lady sounds too sophisticated and too old!