Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any major gas companies over in Oz?British gas engineer here looking to emigrate.

Any major gas companies over in Oz?British gas engineer here looking to emigrate.

Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

craiga20uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any major gas companies over in Oz?British gas engineer here looking to emigrate.

I have been considering moving to Australia for the past couple of years now.I have tried to do some research into natural gas companies over there,but can't really find much information.Is there an equivalent to British Gas over there?I am highly qualified in various areas,and have been fully trained up by British Gas,Any help would be greatly appreciated.Craig
Old Mar 13th 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any major gas companies over in Oz?British gas engineer here looking to emigrate.

hi we have a friend living over here in queensland also worked for british gas for a long time in uk..the oz gov granted him a visa but when he got here wasnt allowed to do gas fitting without basically doin another apprentiship i.e four yrs of tafe study.
my advice would be to have a really good look into the regulations ect
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any major gas companies over in Oz?British gas engineer here looking to emigrate.

Originally Posted by craiga20uk
I have been considering moving to Australia for the past couple of years now.I have tried to do some research into natural gas companies over there,but can't really find much information.Is there an equivalent to British Gas over there?I am highly qualified in various areas,and have been fully trained up by British Gas,Any help would be greatly appreciated.Craig
Are you a professional engineer or a gas fitter? The reason I ask is that many people from the UK are called/call themselves engineers whereas in Australia they are not.

If you are an engineer then you can pretty much work without having to do any licencing or further training.
If you are a gas fitter/tradie then there will probably be many hoops to jump through before you could work here.

Good luck.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craiga20uk
Move to Perth would get lots of FIFO work further up the country . Just depends on if you like living away from home?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

I'm a gasfitter working in Brisbane/ Gold Coast areas, I should be able to answer any questions you may have from my experiences so far, I've been here just over a year, to get my gas licence I made an appointment with the Dept of Mines & Energy in Brisbane, showed my corgi card and qualifications and got a 1 year licence in Natural Gas, it did have an LPG restriction on it but this has now been lifted as I've done some supervised work on LPG appliances. I have heard a rumour that all new guys coming from overseas including the UK will have to a years course to get a licence, not sure how true this is. The gas licensing guys are nearly all British and recognise all experience done in UK, they are all ex British Gas like myself. There isn't an equivalent of BG here, the company I work for do all the service work for Origin who are the biggest gas supplier in QLD. If you have any questions I'll try and help out,
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you a professional engineer or a gas fitter? The reason I ask is that many people from the UK are called/call themselves engineers whereas in Australia they are not.

If you are an engineer then you can pretty much work without having to do any licencing or further training.
If you are a gas fitter/tradie then there will probably be many hoops to jump through before you could work here.

Good luck.
Could you elaborate on this, as im a Gas Service Engineer by trade(and like most BG ex staff by City and Guild Quali's too), but was under the impression that to the aussies that means gas fitter, how do they define 'engineer' ? To answer the original posters question, research is a must as the requirements vary from one territory toanother dramatically, for example try to get a licence in WA as a gas fitter!!! or try to find a job as one without plumbing qualifications, the old BG adage that plumbers were gas fitters with their brains bashed out does not ring true in Oz