Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

View Poll Results: Where about's in Oz have you moved/moving to?
Melbourne
21.11%
Perth
20.00%
Sydney
12.22%
Brisbane
21.11%
Cairns
1.11%
Adelaide
6.67%
Canberra
0%
Gold Coast
12.22%
Sunshine Coast
5.56%
Hobart
0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Just wondering if there were any Irish ex pats or soon to be ex pats who post on this forum? Would love to hear some advice/stories from those that have left Ireland for Oz.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:59 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Just wondering if there were any Irish ex pats or soon to be ex pats who post on this forum? Would love to hear some advice/stories from those that have left Ireland for Oz.

Not quite the same but husband is from Wexford, we live in the UK and are waiting to sell our house prior to emigrating to Perth.We have our visas.
I'd imagine that the process is the same which ever country you are laevig as DIMIA set the hopes in which we all have to jump thru. There are some other Irish posters on here who may be able to give more detail of the Irish experience
Good luck with your plans
Gillian
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Hi Gillian. Yes afaik the 136 visa process is the same applying from the UK or Ireland. I'm wondering if anyone would post about their experiences emegrating to Oz from an Irish propective. How did they relate to the Ozzies? Cost of living, making new friends etc etc..
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We are living in Dublin for the last 15 years. I am English but my husband is Irish born and bred. Our kids (11 & 9) were born here. However, we are selling up and emmigrating to Canada this year. Finally got our visas in Feb. Not Oz I know, but the emotions/soul searching are probably the same wherever you go.

Are you in process of or thinking of leaving ireland? It can be a hard decision to make I know. Let me know if you need any support!

Snowqueen
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Hi

We are living in Dublin for the last 15 years. I am English but my husband is Irish born and bred. Our kids (11 & 9) were born here. However, we are selling up and emmigrating to Canada this year. Finally got our visas in Feb. Not Oz I know, but the emotions/soul searching are probably the same wherever you go.

Are you in process of or thinking of leaving ireland? It can be a hard decision to make I know. Let me know if you need any support!

Snowqueen
Hi snowqueen (appropriate name for someone emigrating to Canada ). The process of making a decision has been and gone. Were sending in our first stage payment for pre assessment with our fee this week. We've told our family who are all behind us. My mothers heart is broken though. I'm her only child and I'm taking her only grandson who is 6. My parents look after him after school and have done for the past 3 years. We live 2 miles down the road from them. It's going to be a big change for them. The guilt is killing me. However the change in lifestyle, the job opportunities (as opposed to the lack of job opportunities in Ireland) convince me we are making the right decision.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Hi snowqueen (appropriate name for someone emigrating to Canada ). The process of making a decision has been and gone. Were sending in our first stage payment for pre assessment with our fee this week. We've told our family who are all behind us. My mothers heart is broken though. I'm her only child and I'm taking her only grandson who is 6. My parents look after him after school and have done for the past 3 years. We live 2 miles down the road from them. It's going to be a big change for them. The guilt is killing me. However the change in lifestyle, the job opportunities (as opposed to the lack of job opportunities in Ireland) convince me we are making the right decision.

Hi there

We are also Irish. We are at the latter stages of 136. Have submitted meds and PCC (unrequested). Now currently just waiting. We are heading to Brisbane July or August (visa depending). Where in Oz do you hope to settle. Have you sarted the search for schools/accommodation. We are curently narrowing our areas down. Many schools in Brisbane have waiting lists. Not unlike Ireland.

Wishing you all the best.

MK
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:10 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gillian. Yes afaik the 136 visa process is the same applying from the UK or Ireland. I'm wondering if anyone would post about their experiences emegrating to Oz from an Irish propective. How did they relate to the Ozzies? Cost of living, making new friends etc etc..

When we were in Perth last year we discovered a thriving Irish ex-pat community. I think because the Irish have emigrated in such large no.s all over the world that integration shouldn't be too much difficult.
Guilt I'm afraid is something we all have to contend with - we live 20 doors from my mother She has taken it v. hard to the point where me and OH are no longer speaking to her husband, and any communications between me and my mum is on a fairly superficial level
The children were v. close to my mum - she used to mind them after school, holdays etc but when we told them of our plans she felt that it would be too painful and she needed to start emotionally detaching from them so stopped caring for them. Now they see her about once a month. My dad is behaving in a similar way
OH family are being great though
Where are you of to ?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul Fitz
Hi there

We are also Irish. We are at the latter stages of 136. Have submitted meds and PCC (unrequested). Now currently just waiting. We are heading to Brisbane July or August (visa depending). Where in Oz do you hope to settle. Have you sarted the search for schools/accommodation. We are curently narrowing our areas down. Many schools in Brisbane have waiting lists. Not unlike Ireland.

MK
Hi MK,

Were hoping to move to Melbourne. We have started to research area's to live/school etc. With 300 suberbs it's very difficult to narrow it down, however we like the look of Fitzroy, Williamstown, Essendon, Strathmore, Port Melbourne. How did you find the process for the 136 visa? Had you diffculty getting your records from the garda's? Did it take long?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sme
When we were in Perth last year we discovered a thriving Irish ex-pat community. I think because the Irish have emigrated in such large no.s all over the world that integration shouldn't be too much difficult.
Guilt I'm afraid is something we all have to contend with - we live 20 doors from my mother She has taken it v. hard to the point where me and OH are no longer speaking to her husband, and any communications between me and my mum is on a fairly superficial level
The children were v. close to my mum - she used to mind them after school, holdays etc but when we told them of our plans she felt that it would be too painful and she needed to start emotionally detaching from them so stopped caring for them. Now they see her about once a month. My dad is behaving in a similar way
OH family are being great though
Where are you of to ?
Jesus that's awful sad. Did you post this on the "parents" thread some weeks back? I think I remember reading about it. Your experience is really extreme. I'd say she will really regret her actions when your gone. The way I look at it were doing it to provide a better life for us and our kids. Life is too short to be spending it in the pouring rain imo. Were hoping to move to Melbourne.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:25 am
sme
......in the sand !

Jesus that's awful sad. Did you post this on the "parents" thread some weeks back? I think I remember reading about it. Your experience is really extreme. I'd say she will really regret her actions when your gone. The way I look at it were doing it to provide a better life for us and our kids. Life is too short to be spending it in the pouring rain imo. Were hoping to move to Melbourne.
Thats how were viewing it as well , I'd hate to live my life with regrets.
I'm not sure if I've posted this on that particular thead but have spoken about it before on BE. I don't think my experience is that unusual unfortuately
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

time is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Gidxg03! We received our visas and already done a validation trip just back in January. We won`t be heading until june 07, hopefully goldcoast due to various commitments etc the waiting is nearly worse than awaiting visa decision but just need to keep busy. The Garda certs, ask at your local station, were very straight forward and only took 10 days to receive back. medicals were also straight forward and like most say on these forums unless you have some serious problems there is no need to worry.
best wishes for a positive outcome Time
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough

Hi there, we are from Dublin (lucan) ! we are in the middle of limbo at moment waiting to be called for meds... we are (hoping) going on 136 skilled to Perth. Husband is a brickie so hoping that work is a bit better out in oz than here.
We've just sold our house (actually sale agreed sign only went up today) so we are hoping we can drag the contract signing stage out for as long as possible. Keep in touch with your application and lets know how all is going. Good Luck!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Fitz
Hi there

MK
Hi there, we too are Irish live in Dublin. We are doing same 136 skilled, hubby is a bricklayer... I just wanted to ask you did you go with an agent... as we recently asked our agent would we get our pc and meds unrequested and she said they dont normally advise this. Where did you get your meds done and what did you's have to go through (just seeing if any different to uk but don't imagine so)... How long is your application in and what prof are you in?
We are hoping to head to Perth just sold our house and are going through all the silly emotions at mo! Our appl acknowledged on 6 Feb so we have a long wait ahead of us... but I was really anxious to get the meds and pc out of way.. if we got the visa's we are ready to go.

Y
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
Hi there, we too are Irish live in Dublin. We are doing same 136 skilled, hubby is a bricklayer... I just wanted to ask you did you go with an agent... as we recently asked our agent would we get our pc and meds unrequested and she said they dont normally advise this. Where did you get your meds done and what did you's have to go through (just seeing if any different to uk but don't imagine so)... How long is your application in and what prof are you in?
We are hoping to head to Perth just sold our house and are going through all the silly emotions at mo! Our appl acknowledged on 6 Feb so we have a long wait ahead of us... but I was really anxious to get the meds and pc out of way.. if we got the visa's we are ready to go.

Y
sorry for posting twice but I taught my two year old daughter had just wiped the first message .... in case you think Im' loosing it.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Hi, We're from Dublin but have lived in Manchester for the last 12 years. we're hoping to put in our application for 137 visa at the end off this month. My daughter is on my passport so I've applied for one of her own. As soon as this comes back the application goes off! Have already sold the house so once we get the visa we're off to Perth.
tracie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.