Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for a Plan B?

Any ideas for a Plan B?

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Carmen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
I'm in Oz for eight months now holding a visiting academic visa which expires in 02/2001. I'm writing my docotoral thesis and attend a PR part-time course.
Originally, my partner wanted to go for a job in Australia (SAP consulting) which might have allowed me to stay as well.
Unfortunately we broke up recently and my profession (PR) is not exactly one of the most wanted in Australia.
I would love to stay but there are a couple of things that turned out to be a problem:
- the PR course i'm doing is obviously not recognized as a degree (even though it's called a diploma)
- as there is no bachelor degree in Germany I did my Master (1999) and so I do not have three years of full time employment (I've been working as a student assistant in my uni's press department for three years until I came here, but that doesn't count, does it?)
- the visiting academic visa does not allow me to work (which might help to create a network for possible sponsorship contacts)

Is there any other option than going back to germany and apply for a working holiday visa to make the necessary contacts after returning? (I hope that description is not too confusing)

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Carmen

All times are ET (US)

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 7:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Carmen,

If you're under 30 and doing a PhD you might want to consider a student visa option
here, as one year of full-time study in an Australian tertiary education program may
be enough for you to remain here permanently. On the other hand, the WHV is a quite
hassle free option apart from requiring you to travel to apply.

And what are you writing doctoral thesis about? Wenn Sie muessen es auf Deutsch
erklaeren mir ist egal Leider darf ich nicht hier in Nichtenglisch schreiben

Tschuss,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Carmen wrote in message ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 3rd 2001, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Carmen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi George,
thank you for your reply. I am under 30 and have considered a student visa in the first place before I came here. But that wasn't really an option because the fees for overseas students are about 16K for a year. Certainly more than I can afford, and unfortunately I couldn't get a scholarship because the subject of my thesis does not necessarily require travelling ;-)
I'm writing on the process of civilisation / the evolution of human behaviour in western societies over the last 2000 years. The approach is based on a combination of sociology/political science and literature- / culture studies.
The WHV is an option I have to think about because it's a bit of a risk in terms of finance. As I am here on my own expenses I will have used up most of my ressources when I go back. I couldn't afford job hunting for a longer time, which means that I would basically need an employer before I leave... I'll have to think about it carefully.
Anyway, where did you learn German?

Ciao, Carmen

Originally posted by George Lombard
Hi Carmen,

If you're under 30 and doing a PhD you might want to consider a student visa option
here, as one year of full-time study in an Australian tertiary education program may
be enough for you to remain here permanently. On the other hand, the WHV is a quite
hassle free option apart from requiring you to travel to apply.

And what are you writing doctoral thesis about? Wenn Sie muessen es auf Deutsch
erklaeren mir ist egal Leider darf ich nicht hier in Nichtenglisch schreiben

Tschuss,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Carmen wrote in message ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Old Oct 4th 2001, 12:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Carmen,

So in looking at evolution of human behaviour I assume that Pauline Hanson and John
Howard are either throwbacks or the state of things to come How do you delete the
variables of technology, changes in the mode of production and workplace relations,
and improved health care and longevity, for example, to achieve an objective standard
in human behaviour?

But to reply to your visa hassles, I gather that you are hoping for an ENS visa based
on three years' post-degree experience, with the Uni as your sponsor. A lot depends
on what the uni will do for you in this situation. I have seen some miracles
performed in this area

To find out the real state of my German and where it comes from you'll need to call
my office on 02-97990085

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au