Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any house selling tips?

Any house selling tips?

Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:15 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any house selling tips?

Originally Posted by bridiej
House going on market in three weeks, redecorated inside and out, new bathroom and rewired and will be priced sensibly. Already decluttered...

Just wondered if anyone has got any other tips that they'd like to pass on to help us achieve quick sale?

Thanks!
Ask the fussiest friend/relative you've got to play 'potential buyer' and go through your patter with them as if they were really viewing. They'll spot all the things you may have missed, and be straight with you, and hopefully tell you how well you're doing with the viewing. Better to hear it from a friend than an estate agent or a nasty viewer!

Last edited by bookemjano; Jul 4th 2005 at 6:47 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:24 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not what people want to hear but this is sound advice.

G
Yes, agree with that one, had one agent who said £195k - think he was on another planet!!

Thanks for all your suggestions, will send more k tomorrow once "recharged"
Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:29 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

[I have this week off to get the house ready for going on the market. Spent the day shingling the front garden, painting the railings and front door. Feel knackered, but it look like a different house. As its the first part viewers look at, it will be a good first impression.

The rest of the week will be spent touching up paintwork, finishing the bathroom tiling, decluttering and a damn good clean. So much for a relaxing week off!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Karl2c is an unknown quantity at this point

Got our visas in April, house went on the market in May ( sole agent) we had 6 viewings, 4 second viewings and an offer which we accepted mid May and hoping to exchange next week as the buyer wants to complete 1st week in August.
Tips : remove all wallpaper, paint out in neutral colours, tidy and trim shrubs in garden, keep the house ultra tidy especially the bathrooms and kitchen , declutter etc, new white towels clean linen fresh flowers, keep the coffee machine aromas on, pot pourrie in bathrooms, pets out of sight, depersonalise etc - first impressions really count - worked for us, hope all you guys also get lucky.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:08 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Mirrors ,will make the place look bigger
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:35 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the new game Bridie good init! NOT

We are further up the price scale cos were near london but nothing is moving!

Get on with a multi agency winner takes all we have 3 @1.75% also try an agent that is in an area less celubrious than yours to catch people that are looking to improve themselves.
Dont forget yours will stand out in there window as it will be priced to sell.

Mind you we have had lots of viewings from people trying to improve but no offers yet!

Good luck
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:55 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridiej
That's interesting as our spare room has my office space at one end and a sofa bed at the other. I asked the agents about this and they all said that it was clearly a double bedroom so no need to do this.... guess will wait and see what feedback we get on that one.
I aggree with this...it sounds exactly the same as my spare room...so I wouldnt worry about it...

You say yours is reasonably priced...I think ours has sold because it was competative and about 10 grand less than anything remotely similar(thats 10 grand on a house in the 130 range not the 250's)...It added up to getting a garage and conservatory extra almost when I compared to others the same price and its end terrace as opposed to mid. It all depends how long you are prepared to wait for a buyer. I wasnt so cut the price. The people who are buying ours came to look at next door originally.thought ours being end and with extras was out of their price range. When they realised it was in the range they viewed and looked at no others with our estate agent on our estate because they are all that much dearer,so they didnt even bother to go and look...I have to say mine is a FTB house though...I dont know what you have,so I could be talking out of my a###. I think thats why we have sold when others that have been on longer are still for sale.just my theory