Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on a combined income of less than $100,000 a yea

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You would be okay on $100k with a reasonable mortgage but you would be saving little towards your retirement - apart from 9% super, which is not enough.
I think people forget that they need to look towards their retirement and that they arent going to get terribly far even with the soon to be 12% unless they have put it away for their entire working life and added a significant amount of their own money into their super pots as well. I will say that salary sacrificing and paying well more than the basic 9% was the best thing we ever did but we were, even back in the day, earning more than $100k between us.

Personally I dont know how some of you guys manage with what you have reported on here - it cant be a very comfortable lifestyle to have to be scrimping and saving all the time.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on a combined income of less than $100,000 a yea

We earned just over $100K between us last year, I have a company vehicle which is probably worth over $10K a year. And we are far better off than we were in the UK. Our mortgage is nearly 4 times greater in ratio to our income here. And no I don`t understand it either. But for us thats the way it is. I don`t worry to much about money and yes we could do with more. But I can and do spend a couple of hundred here or there if I feel like it.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:47 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

We're on less that $100,000 and have a decent size mortgage, 4 kids, plus I am a full time uni student with all associated costs (including 2 kids in full time daycare). We are more than just surviving, in a nice house in a lovely area. It's very possible
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
Bottom line is how much mortgage/rent people choose to pay.

$100k and big mortgage = doing it tough.
$100k and no mortgage = great lifestyle.
Great point.

People need to realise its more expensive to live here and from afar not just look at how much you earn
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

It's very refreshing to read a thread about people enjoying life on a 'normal' budget. I guess a lot of people emigrate to Australia in the hopes that their salaries will be increased, they will buy a bigger better home and have enough spare cash to satisfy their social habits, whether that be booze, holidays, theme parks etc, etc. And these things definitely cost a lot of money and are relatively more expensive than in the UK.

So I guess the meaning of getting by varies from one family to another, and it seems for a lot of British expats 'getting by' equates to life at the luxurious end of the scale for those who are used to coping on a pretty tight budget. Some contributors to this forum are only to happy to point out how vast their incomes are, and how you couldn't possibly cope with a normal salary; strangely some are also at pains to express their dissatisfaction with life down under despite their whopping pay packets. I often feel we're satisfying the narcissist within when discouraging others from exploring emigration as some members are unable to see the point if you can't send the kids to private school, visit England every year or two, or live in the thick of it close to the CBD of a major city.

Yeah raising a family on less than $100,000 a year is going to be tight, but the 'average' Australian salary is around $72k so plenty of locals must manage. Yeah you're not going to live next door to the CBD, you won't have the most expensive car, you won't by flying the family back to England every other year but that doesn't necessarily mean life is of a poorer quality for you, depends how you get by in the UK. There have been threads before of people getting by on a more modest budget, and finding Australia favourable for them due to spending more time out doors, at the parks with the kids etc.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by stuie83
It's very refreshing to read a thread about people enjoying life on a 'normal' budget. I guess a lot of people emigrate to Australia in the hopes that their salaries will be increased, they will buy a bigger better home and have enough spare cash to satisfy their social habits, whether that be booze, holidays, theme parks etc, etc. And these things definitely cost a lot of money and are relatively more expensive than in the UK.

So I guess the meaning of getting by varies from one family to another, and it seems for a lot of British expats 'getting by' equates to life at the luxurious end of the scale for those who are used to coping on a pretty tight budget. Some contributors to this forum are only to happy to point out how vast their incomes are, and how you couldn't possibly cope with a normal salary; strangely some are also at pains to express their dissatisfaction with life down under despite their whopping pay packets. I often feel we're satisfying the narcissist within when discouraging others from exploring emigration as some members are unable to see the point if you can't send the kids to private school, visit England every year or two, or live in the thick of it close to the CBD of a major city.

Yeah raising a family on less than $100,000 a year is going to be tight, but the 'average' Australian salary is around $72k so plenty of locals must manage. Yeah you're not going to live next door to the CBD, you won't have the most expensive car, you won't by flying the family back to England every other year but that doesn't necessarily mean life is of a poorer quality for you, depends how you get by in the UK. There have been threads before of people getting by on a more modest budget, and finding Australia favourable for them due to spending more time out doors, at the parks with the kids etc.
But aren't you working as a doctor in a training position?

Presumably as you move up the ladder your salary will increase vastly and so will your superannuation.

Many people do not seem to consider their pensions and the need to make extra payments into super or other savings.

Employer payments into super will not give a very big pension...and for self employed none at all.

Old age will not be a very happy time if you can't afford to live never mind how many 'free' things there are to do.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:32 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
But aren't you working as a doctor in a training position?

Presumably as you move up the ladder your salary will increase vastly and so will your superannuation.

Many people do not seem to consider their pensions and the need to make extra payments into super or other savings.

Employer payments into super will not give a very big pension...and for self employed none at all.

Old age will not be a very happy time if you can't afford to live never mind how many 'free' things there are to do.
Doctors get lower interest rates on mortgages too.Not bad eh!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by kips
I ask this question after reading some threads on BE and feeling like a distinct underachiever.

One poster, single bloke with no partner and kids, asked if he could live on $170,000 a year in Sydney, if he moved from London to Oz.

I was surprised by the number of posters who said it wasn't a lot of money !!! To me it's a king's ransom.
Notwithstanding the high cost of living in Australia, $100k is a lot of money. The people who say it's chickenfeed are the same folks who complain about trying to find a good butler in Toorak.

We're living on a lot less than the average national wage, though we do have a very low mortgage (~$156k).

Originally Posted by quoll
Personally I dont know how some of you guys manage with what you have reported on here - it cant be a very comfortable lifestyle to have to be scrimping and saving all the time.
It's not easy, but it is possible and in our case it's only short term while I'm studying. We were sitting pretty when I had a full time job and a company car.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 25th 2012 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuie83

Great post! We're heading back to Melbourne this year from NZ and I will be the main breadwinner earning, I anticipate, around $70k, with the OH bringing in maybe another $20k as a part-timer (he's looking after the kids). We won't have a mortgage, at least initially, but will still most likely be paying for part of one back here. No, we won't live right in the inner suburbs and we won't be buying new cars, but I don't think we'll be on the breadline. The kids will go to the local state school and we will pick our house based on the local schools. We may not be able to afford to fly back to UK to visit OH's family every year either, but we sure as heck can't do it on what we earn now. Comparing salaries in NZ to almost anywhere else is pretty much a waste of time anyway, people get so underpaid here its not funny (and no, that's not a whinge, just a fact of life).
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Bottom line is how much mortgage/rent people choose to pay.

$100k and big mortgage = doing it tough.
$100k and no mortgage = great lifestyle.
exactly! we are earning around 100k, some years its a less, last year it was 3,000 more!, but we struggle with 1 child and our rent is 1,680 per month, our 20 year old still lives with us, works and goes to uni, although she does not contribute to the household bills, she never, ever asks for anything, so i think thats fair enough, However we do manage to save summit each month, we try!!! to save what we would pay in a mortgage, some months i thank my lucky stars we aint got a mortgage.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any families in Australia living on a combined income of less than $100,000 a yea

Originally Posted by Margaret3
exactly! we are earning around 100k, some years its a less, last year it was 3,000 more!
Stagger me. For some strange reason I always had the impression you were doing it tough.

Oh well. Glad to hear things have turned out so nicely for you.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think people forget that they need to look towards their retirement .

I think some people make very patronising comments about other people they know nothing about. Some people constantly think about their pensions and retirement but are unable to put anything extra away because they have to spend their money on living now.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Some people constantly think about their pensions and retirement but are unable to put anything extra away because they have to spend their money on living now.
But isn't that the point about how much you need to earn?

It is all very well talking about surviving and the 'free' stuff you can do but you also have to consider the future.

That is not patronising...it is a reality that needs to be faced.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't that the point about how much you need to earn?

It is all very well talking about surviving and the 'free' stuff you can do but you also have to consider the future.

That is not patronising...it is a reality that needs to be faced.
It's patronising when you state that people don't consider that. Yes it needs considering when you're deciding how much you need to earn but both you and Quoll stated that you can't believe people don't think about it. You don't know what people do or do not consider when they're weighing up the pros and cons. It's a matter of wording.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's patronising when you state that people don't consider that. Yes it needs considering when you're deciding how much you need to earn but both you and Quoll stated that you can't believe people don't think about it. You don't know what people do or do not consider when they're weighing up the pros and cons. It's a matter of wording.
I agree. I do think about our retirement and get despondent knowing we may not have enough to live a comfortable life.

I just hope we have enough equity in the house by the time we are too old and doddery to work or win the lottery

I'd love to salary sacrifice, for example, to boost my super, but I've never earned enough to be able to do that. Virtually all my salary has gone on the basics - food, petrol, rego, car insurance, car repairs, new school shoes/uniform/books/stationery, dental work etc

I know that there are lots of people far worse off than us and to me being happy with what we have, having good friends and the good health of my family is far more important.

Sill wouldn't mind a lovely Guess handbag i saw in Strandbags in Rocky shopping centre last week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.