Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any decent Aussie paint???

Any decent Aussie paint???

Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Default Any decent Aussie paint???

I have just started my first decorating project in our new house in Australia. However, I am pulling my hair out in frustration at the paint I have bought. It is like paint we stopped using in the UK about 30 years ago.

Is it possible to buy decent paint that covers the previous paint and doesn’t drip?

Charlie

Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:55 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any decent Aussie paint???

Originally Posted by charlie5
I have just started my first decorating project in our new house in Australia. However, I am pulling my hair out in frustration at the paint I have bought. It is like paint we stopped using in the UK about 30 years ago.

Is it possible to buy decent paint that covers the previous paint and doesn’t drip?

Charlie

Try Haymes Paints
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We use tauberams(sp) or dulux.The brand "British Paint" was awful.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Thanks but I am using dulux - nothing like the UK version.

Charlie
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently on the same journey and must've used 5 different brands by now and you've guessed it ...................................it's ALL GARBAGE (for the want of a better word) And the prices .....WTF $140 for a 10 litre tin of undercoat Speaking of which the last tin of which i bought i thought i'd try an oil based one instead but found it would be easier to use tar on the brushes
Ps when you get to the Glossing stage(super enamel) you'll find that as weak as piss and just as runny as well
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

At least your reply confirms that it is not just me having problems.

Charlie
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

At least your reply confirms that it is not just me having problems.

Charlie
Yep and we're in different states as well so it must be country wide
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Yep and we're in different states as well so it must be country wide
All the paint we have bought over the years has been rubbish, nothing like a one coat solo out here, more like 3 coats and then another one Just try looking for anything other than white, they actually mix up every single colour so if you want any other colour apart from white you have to go and get it mixed up and on a busy Saturday at bunnings you could be in the queue a good 10 hours . Have no idea why..... just the way it is.... awful system.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any decent Aussie paint???

Just painted the garage - undercoat was Nippon from Bunnings- $40 for 6 litres. Top coat was the paint the painters left behind when they did the rest of the house.

Both went on fine with a roller and I couldn't tell any difference between them and my last painting job in England.

BB
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:14 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I am using dulux - nothing like the UK version.

Charlie
Totally agree.We've used Dulux here and its on a par with B&Q's own brand back home...shite in other words
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macy
All the paint we have bought over the years has been rubbish, nothing like a one coat solo out here, more like 3 coats and then another one Just try looking for anything other than white, they actually mix up every single colour so if you want any other colour apart from white you have to go and get it mixed up and on a busy Saturday at bunnings you could be in the queue a good 10 hours . Have no idea why..... just the way it is.... awful system.
Done 2 lounge rooms, a toilet and a bathroom so far and other than the ceiling's which were originally white and have gotten by with 1 coat the surrounds and the walls have all had at least 4 coats
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh no! Just done the first coat on the wall, I hope I don't have to do another 3!

Charlie