Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Ambulance technicians/Paramedics? Advice needed!

Any Ambulance technicians/Paramedics? Advice needed!

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice
Default Any Ambulance technicians/Paramedics? Advice needed!

Hi there, im new to the forum and hoping that me and my family can move to OZ asap. Im an ambulance technician in the UK starting my 2 year paramedic degree in September. I have family in Perth so hoping to go there but not sure about holding back for another 2 years to get my paramedic qualification in the UK or trying to go to OZ as a tech. Is there anybody on here who has gone as a tech to Western OZ? If so could you manage on the pay and did you get on a paramedic course relatively quickly? Any advice will be welcome from anybody in the service in OZ as im really stuck on whats best to do. Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any Ambulance technicians/Paramedics? Advice needed!

Try these forums mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=qas

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=NSWAS

John
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Cheers for the links John. However is there any techs/paras in western Oz that could tell me what the pay is like? Feel free to PM me!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by HANK2010
Hi there, im new to the forum and hoping that me and my family can move to OZ asap. Im an ambulance technician in the UK starting my 2 year paramedic degree in September. I have family in Perth so hoping to go there but not sure about holding back for another 2 years to get my paramedic qualification in the UK or trying to go to OZ as a tech. Is there anybody on here who has gone as a tech to Western OZ? If so could you manage on the pay and did you get on a paramedic course relatively quickly? Any advice will be welcome from anybody in the service in OZ as im really stuck on whats best to do. Thanks
Get your Paramedic ticket in the UK as the Technician qualification will get you nowhere here in Aus. You do not meet any criteria for a sponsored visa as a tech so you would have to make your own way here then apply directly. Your skills would be assessed but as you don't cannulate (therefore don't give IV drugs) it will be unlikely you'd RPL to even Qualified Ambulance Officer (Paramedic). The QAO (Paramedic) position here is much like the tech position in the UK except they can gain IV access and give fluids, morphine, glucose, fentanyl, midazolam etc. Levels lower than QAO are student positions - ie, Probationer and Paramedic Intern.

As a SR Para, you will be eligible in most cases for sponsorship (especially from the likes of QAS or ASNSW) and RPE/L at a higher level. I'm working as an Intensive Care Paramedic in Sydney and have been here 14 months.