Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice from those already in oz?

Any advice from those already in oz?

Old Aug 26th 2004, 12:56 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any advice from those already in oz?

Hi,

was just wondering if anyone has any advice about what things to buy in uk and take with you - i.e. some people have mentioned jeans are decent jeans that hard to come by? also when you say there are not many good shoe shops - how bad is bad?

Also i am a size 6 uk and was wondering if it is easy enough to get this size there ( really struggle here)

So any tips would be gratefully recieved.

Diddy
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:06 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Any advice from those already in oz?

My sister in law is a size 6 here and she does manage to get stuff to fit but I think that she has to shop in the more expensive places ( like Myers and boutiques) They do petite ranges.(I couldn't get into them if I tried!! )

From my experience of window shopping you can get nice stuff but you do pay more for it, we have got a shoe shop that stocks kids Clarkes and Hushpuppy shoes.

x

Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Hi diddy
guess it depends where you live - if you are concerned about being short of shoes, move to Melbourne, no probs here! I find there is a wide range of shops from the cheap through to the horrifically expensive...do regret not panic buying supplies of my favourite pants before I left UK, but I guess this gives the family something to send me at Christmas!!
mm
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:24 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Although it might be late in the year now, I would just suggest stocking up on summer sale clothes from your favourite clothes shops.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
Hi,

was just wondering if anyone has any advice about what things to buy in uk and take with you - i.e. some people have mentioned jeans are decent jeans that hard to come by? also when you say there are not many good shoe shops - how bad is bad?

Also i am a size 6 uk and was wondering if it is easy enough to get this size there ( really struggle here)

Diddy
Buy your generic clothing (Next M&S etc) in the UK. I hate shopping but I find it much harder and more expensive here. The only appropriate shoes I could find here were some Rockports that set me back $180 on sale. In the UK I would have bought 40 GBP stuff and with little hunting around.

The Aussie wife misses Next and Zara (plus more). She also says shoes and handbags are more difficult to buy.

Good natural fibres are hard to come by at non designer prices.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom

The Aussie wife misses Next and Zara (plus more). She also says shoes and handbags are more difficult to buy.

Good natural fibres are hard to come by at non designer prices.
Agree on the Zara thingo .... and also haven't come across Replay, GAP or G-Star yet.
But apart from that (well, coming from Germany) i find it not that expensive over here. But on the other hand, i'm still converting to Euro, and maybe this will change as soon as i take up working here and have to live of AUD, who knows?!

And as to natural fibres, here's def. an 'agree', wonder why this isn't popular here...
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:11 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speissi
Agree on the Zara thingo .... and also haven't come across Replay, GAP or G-Star yet.
But apart from that (well, coming from Germany) i find it not that expensive over here. But on the other hand, i'm still converting to Euro, and maybe this will change as soon as i take up working here and have to live of AUD, who knows?!

And as to natural fibres, here's def. an 'agree', wonder why this isn't popular here...
Hi Sonja,
welcome to OZ. when did you arrive ?????? Are you settling in well ?

Sorry havent been in touch more in the last few months

Regards
Mairi
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Hi Sonja,
welcome to OZ. when did you arrive ?????? Are you settling in well ?

Sorry havent been in touch more in the last few months

Regards
Mairi
Hi Mairi,

thx
I arrived on the 1st of July in Sydney and what can I say, i love it! Was a real 'upside down-thing' in the months before with sorting all out and getting the cats over as well, as well as the whole emotional upheaval. But I'm sooo glad to be with my b/f.

After the first few weeks feeling like being on holidays it eventually sinks in now, that I'm really living here!!! Still no job in sight, but to be honest, haven't been looking too deep into it so far anyway. Will intensify my efforts soon and see how I go. Lots of my b/f friends are offering help (e.g. bringing up potential work contacts), so it shouldn't be a big problem !? (fingers crossed though).

Have been more reading on here for the past few weeks, but as I take it, you're settling in ok?! (re: the go banana's diary)
I'm really enjoying to follow their daily posts.

No worries for not having contacted, i bet you had enough to do to take in your 'new' situation!?

Gotta go to the hairdresser now... first appointment, hope all goes well, as i'm a bit fussy about hairdressers (haven't been to a proper one for at least 10 years, as i had a pro within family who exactly knows my style....). Better take a hat, just in case..

Hope to catch up with you guys on the net from time to time,
bye,
Sonja
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi,

Diddy
Hey Nic,

A list of things I would have brought more of with me, (had I had the money )

1. Decent underwear
2. Proper leather shoes/boots
3. Good fitting jeans (though I find Jeans West not too bad a fit)
4. Bags
5. Decent bathsheet towels
6. "hairstuff" - if you have a favourite brand that is more 'designer' than Boots, bring a couple of bottles. They do have John Frieda, Toni&Guy etc but it costs more & the selection isnt as good.
7. Any of Boots own brand that you like. Priceline isnt too bad, but not a patch on Boots
8. If you buy fitted swimmers, get some now. They're hard to come by here (just size 8/10/12 etc) at a decent price and can be found only in Myers etc.
9. If you're a size 6 I'd go for a good shop at Next/Zara/Coast etc and get a couple of tops/trousers before you get here. There must be size 6 people around, but I dont recall seeing petite sections in normal high street stores.
10. Get your haircut - I know you cant bring it with you, but it seems to be a big complaint amongst expats, so at least you wont have to worry for a bit

You can get leather shoes here and decent fitting jeans etc... but its not as easy as walking into Next and picking up a pair... Bring them over while you can
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:50 am
Badge

Jeans West and Bonds underwear from KMart for me to do the trick.

BM

Old Aug 26th 2004, 3:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very hard to get jeans that are comfortable so I brought 10 pairs with me from my fave shop and will get more sent out when I need them!

Underwear, well I've said my piece on the standard of underwear - why can't Aussies use decent elastic! Bring loads of M&S knickers, and bras too as they aren't much better.

Anything from Boots that you can lay your hands on! Especially if - like me - you're a fan of Natural Collection stuff. They have Body Shop here, but I find the Boots stuff better and brought a whole boxful of various things.

Agree about the size 6 thing - it seems to be easier to find clothes in my size (UK 16) than in smaller sizes. I used to buy the smallest size in Evans, cos everywhere else went for smaller sizes. Now although a lot of the clothes aren't brilliant there are more in my size.

Bring things like Piriton (antihistamines) or Beechams Powders, any favourite remedies. Nurofen is OK, you can get that here, same with Lemsip. Most things have an equivalent, like I now use Polarmine instead of Piriton, but bring enough to keep you going. I have 4 bottles of Pine & Yuck Cough Mixture from Sainsburys in the cupboard cos I know it works!
Also - as it hasn't been said for a while - bring plenty of supplies of The Pill. Costs money here, and the brands are different, with some types not available.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 6:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speissi

An MNG has opened in Bondi Junction but wife says stock is pricier than Europe. Apparently she could make out the Euro price under the sticker. In the new Westfieds there are some different shops as well as flag ship stores for shops such as Country Road. Personally I hate the place although eating overlooking the harbour is good.

K-mart is cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 7:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Diddy
You struggle with size six - I'm size 7 so probably have no chance!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:05 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hey Nic,

A list of things I would have brought more of with me, (had I had the money )

1. Decent underwear
2. Proper leather shoes/boots
3. Good fitting jeans (though I find Jeans West not too bad a fit)
4. Bags
5. Decent bathsheet towels
6. "hairstuff" - if you have a favourite brand that is more 'designer' than Boots, bring a couple of bottles. They do have John Frieda, Toni&Guy etc but it costs more & the selection isnt as good.
7. Any of Boots own brand that you like. Priceline isnt too bad, but not a patch on Boots
8. If you buy fitted swimmers, get some now. They're hard to come by here (just size 8/10/12 etc) at a decent price and can be found only in Myers etc.
9. If you're a size 6 I'd go for a good shop at Next/Zara/Coast etc and get a couple of tops/trousers before you get here. There must be size 6 people around, but I dont recall seeing petite sections in normal high street stores.
10. Get your haircut - I know you cant bring it with you, but it seems to be a big complaint amongst expats, so at least you wont have to worry for a bit

You can get leather shoes here and decent fitting jeans etc... but its not as easy as walking into Next and picking up a pair... Bring them over while you can

I must have struck lucky on the haircut front. First place I didn't like the cut but it was bearable but the second salon did a great job and at a decent price. Have to agree its about $18 for a John Frieda product for straightening your hair. It was about 5 quid in the uk for the same thing. But I guess if theres a product you like and won't change you may aswell get used to the aussie prices sooner or later.

I miss M&S Bras. You can't get a decent bra in larger cup sizes here and I hate the one I did manage to find. It has no support at all.

Anyway I promised myself I would not complain about Oz as I am loving my time here now

Jo
Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:17 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joh117
I must have struck lucky on the haircut front. First place I didn't like the cut but it was bearable but the second salon did a great job and at a decent price. Have to agree its about $18 for a John Frieda product for straightening your hair. It was about 5 quid in the uk for the same thing. But I guess if theres a product you like and won't change you may aswell get used to the aussie prices sooner or later.

I miss M&S Bras. You can't get a decent bra in larger cup sizes here and I hate the one I did manage to find. It has no support at all.

Anyway I promised myself I would not complain about Oz as I am loving my time here now

Jo
you guys do know that there is a M&S in Bali ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.