University?

Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Kirsty19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University?

Hello, would anyone be able to tell me the cost of University in Oz compared to the UK? I'd love to do English Literature. Also, I'm not a citizen in Australia so I can't get the HEX loan so the fees would go through the roof. I'm struggling to find information about it. Even my school is alarmingly vague on the details... Queenslanders are so blase about everything! Thank you for any info!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University?

If you chose the course you want from this link:

http://www.uq.edu.au/study/ (under the heading browse programs), the details will be on the course page. Average for international fees are about $15-$20k per year though.

Looks like you'd do English Lit through a BA:
http://www.uq.edu.au/study/program.html?acad_prog=2000 Says international fees are $17550 or domestic full fee (this might be you) is $15k odd

Last edited by rabsody; Jul 6th 2008 at 1:08 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:20 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

no idea about course but as a perm resident you pay domestic fees and they are split up so you pay at the start of each semester.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you have PR you do not have to pay International Fees. You still qualify for a Commonwealth Supported place where the fees are usually between $4k and $8k per year depending on which course you do.

Domestic Fee-paying fees are for students who don't have high enough marks for a Commonwealth Supported place - they are effectively 'buying' their place.

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Fe...te/Default.htm

See here for specific fees for Commonwealth supported places. An Arts degree is $5095 pa. http://www.uq.edu.au/study/index.htm...7451&pid=21165

Last edited by NickyC; Jul 6th 2008 at 9:48 pm. Reason: Added new link
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Kirsty19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answers so far.

Do you think it would be cheaper in England to go to University considering I'm already a citizen there? What are the benefits for each?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirsty19

Do you think it would be cheaper in England to go to University considering I'm already a citizen there? What are the benefits for each?
Depends on how long you've been away from the UK - I believe that after 3 years away you're classed as an overseas student.

A BA in the UK seems to cost around the 3000 pound mark per year - same thing in Australia costs just over $5000 (assuming you can get a Commonwealth supported place) - if that's the case it's slightly cheaper in Australia.

A disadvantage in studying in QLD will be that you have to pay your fees up-front (PRs cannot defer fees) but you will be able to defer payment in the UK. Though how you pay back a student loan in the UK if you don't live there - I have no idea!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirsty19

Not exactly got my finger on the pulse, but I'd have to say no.

If you aren't a citizen, will you became a citizen at some point in the future? English literature isn't going anywhere for a while, wait until you're a citizen if its financially more viable.

The days of supported higher education are long gone; students grants remember those? You used to get money just for going, money you didn't have to pay back. Replaced by student loans and top-up fees. Unless you're Scottish or from the EU, excluding England and Wales, and attend a Scottish uni.