Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:25 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Originally Posted by Kayser Soze
Hi Nat,

Funny thing is we are moving back to UK in April from NZ (family reasons and cos NZ is a little for my liking)...and are looking to live around Cambridge (family are in N Herts).

Hope you have sold by then but we might be just the house viewers you need.

K.S.
average house prices in Cambridge £220,000 LOL and your asking us to cut our asking prices! i sold my house for £55,000! surely first time buyers can manage that

Last edited by possoms; Jan 20th 2005 at 9:28 am.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:45 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Our buyer pulled out today , so it is officially on the market again. He said he pulled out for personal reasons. We had a viewer back in Nov that was interested but hadn't sold their house yet so didn't put in an offer, but we are contacting them again to see if they are still interested.

Since we've put it back on the market we've had one viewer already and have got another on Saturday (who won the lottery!) and another on Sunday, who saw our house on www.thelittlehousecompany.co.uk so we won't have to pay estate agent fees if they buy it.

The house is tucked away behind a common and seems to get a lot of interest so here is hoping it's going to be sold soon!

Dave
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by possoms
average house prices in Cambridge £220,000 LOL and your asking us to cut our asking prices! i sold my house for £55,000! surely first time buyers can manage that
Yup, £55,000 is a good price if only that were the average price for a house in UK and all potential FTBs could get started.

Just can't understand the philosophy of UK homeowners. Surely you want your children to own their own homes, don't you, without them having to take on loans of 6/7/8 times their salaries?

Let's face it most people don't 'own' their homes - the banks/building socs do so the more you borrow they are the ones get richer.

A fall in house prices can only benefit everyone in the end.

K.S.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Using the middle price of 450k, the mortgage on the property (25yrs 6.75%) is $717 p/w - more than twice the rent !!
Yep!! told you the housing market is out of wack. And there isn't even a decent oatcake shop anyware!

I agree that a 20 - 30 percent price correction will help us FTB's. But definatly not a crash as that will impact the whole economy, and even FTB's can loose their jobs in an economic slump.

I just wish the housing market was a bit more transparent with reliable data to help buyers & sellers decide, and not the smoke and mirrors that RE agents love to use.

Z
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zentack
And there isn't even a decent oatcake shop anyware!

Z
......oatcake.....mmmmmmmmmm www.oatcake.co.uk

Agree on the transaparency issue, some new websites have just come out here listing all house price sales since 2000 - excellent source of info !!

www.ourproperty.co.uk

www.nethouseprices.com

Jim
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

We live in a small town about 12 miles from Cambridge and a one bed starter home costs about £98000. A 3 bed terrace costs £140000.

I think the average price for £200000 sounds about right- thats one of the reason we are moving to Oz. Here we would have to stay in a 3 bed terrace which is tiny and has a tiny garden.

I want to be able to give my kids a decent sized garden to play in- surely everyone has the right to that !!

Nat
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, here is one for you.

Sold in March at asking price lovely job we thought. They had biggest survey done (cracked drains, woodworm, council dispute) were found and we lost our buyers.

Back on Market £5k less

Sold in September to a chain free buyer. Brilliant we thought. October they lost their buyers, yet again house fell through.

Back on market £5k less again

October sold again and everything looks good this time. Had survey done found woodworm in loft so we paid for this to be done. Came round and measured up for a new kitchen and told us they wanted to move in 1st or 2nd week in the new year. Told schools that we are taking children out of school (14 yr girl, 11 yr boy & 6 yr girl). They had a leaving party and presents from schools. Were going to exchange contracts 23 dec. Wa^&*(s
pulled out 5pm 22nd dec. No sorry just changed their mind. What a shit christmas.

We now have buyer number four and things are once again looking good but not counting my chickens untill the cash is in the bank.

You can all wipe your eye's now.

One thing through this whole process that has always remained the same is the reason to go. For a better way of life for our family.

All the best and good luck with selling your houses.
Russell
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by natty
We live in a small town about 12 miles from Cambridge and a one bed starter home costs about £98000. A 3 bed terrace costs £140000.

I think the average price for £200000 sounds about right- thats one of the reason we are moving to Oz. Here we would have to stay in a 3 bed terrace which is tiny and has a tiny garden.

I want to be able to give my kids a decent sized garden to play in- surely everyone has the right to that !!

Nat
Totally agree with you Natty this is also our reason for going and we are not looking for a massive house in Tas there is only the two of us so we are going to downsize to a mortgage free property and keep the rest of our profits to live life isnt this what it is all about?? or else why on earth would we be going

Kay

P.s Natty Tasmania have agreed to sponser us under STNI yipeee
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Hi Kay

Congrats on the STNI !!!!! Tasmania obviously knows quality when they see it !!!!

We will have to meet for a drink once we're there !!!!

Nat
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by natty
Hi Kay

Congrats on the STNI !!!!! Tasmania obviously knows quality when they see it !!!!

We will have to meet for a drink once we're there !!!!

Nat
awww bless you Natty yes we will definately have to meet up are you planning on working out there ?? what jobs are around for me i'm currently a clerical assistant at our local college but i fancy something much more laid back like an hour or two at the wildlife sanctury or the penguin tours and the rest of the day on the beach think Colin will have different plans for me though

Kay
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

3 bed terrace for 140000 GBP around here would be a miracle. Houses around this part start at $750,000 for a "renovators delight".
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
3 bed terrace for 140000 GBP around here would be a miracle. Houses around this part start at $750,000 for a "renovators delight".
phew nice if you can afford it

thankfully its not the case in Tassie
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:55 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russell deane
Hello everyone, here is one for you.

Sold in March at asking price lovely job we thought. They had biggest survey done (cracked drains, woodworm, council dispute) were found and we lost our buyers.

Back on Market £5k less

Sold in September to a chain free buyer. Brilliant we thought. October they lost their buyers, yet again house fell through.

Back on market £5k less again

October sold again and everything looks good this time. Had survey done found woodworm in loft so we paid for this to be done. Came round and measured up for a new kitchen and told us they wanted to move in 1st or 2nd week in the new year. Told schools that we are taking children out of school (14 yr girl, 11 yr boy & 6 yr girl). They had a leaving party and presents from schools. Were going to exchange contracts 23 dec. Wa^&*(s
pulled out 5pm 22nd dec. No sorry just changed their mind. What a shit christmas.

We now have buyer number four and things are once again looking good but not counting my chickens untill the cash is in the bank.

You can all wipe your eye's now.

One thing through this whole process that has always remained the same is the reason to go. For a better way of life for our family.

All the best and good luck with selling your houses.
Russell

Sheesh Russell !!!! You've been on a bit of a rollercoaster!! Fingers crossed this house sale's 'the one'!!!!

Petra
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Bloody angry!

Thought we had a cash buyer 3 mths ago, found out it was a lie but still decided to go ahead with the sale.

Last week was told their money was in place contracts signed etc. so completion due this week.

Last night was told they are having to re-mortgage their own property to buy ours so they maybe?!? ready next week.

Feel like telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Grrrrrr

Mandy
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kay

I work in admin at my local magistrates court and I am sick of being abused ( luckily only with words) or having to breathe thru my mouth instead of my nose when the local tramps come in - you could get pissed just breathing in !!!

I have done admin work for about 12 years now and am sick of it but its what I know so I guess I will have to do a bit more before we start making babies and I can be a mum for a while.

I would LOVE to work at a Penguin sanctuary or anything with animals but I don't recon the pay is much- I might do some volunteering in a wildlife sanctuary when I first get there.

The thought of this has cheered me up as we have only had 2 viewings since the house went back on the market- one came back for a second viewing and said it was everything they were looking for but they were put off by the garage area( it is a garage block for all the houses and really potholed) I am so upset because out of everything it is the only thing I can't change !!

Right now I feel like we are never going to sell it

Still will just keep thinking about penguins and try to forget the bloody house !!!!

Nat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.