Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

The house market is on the move! The crash, or predicted crash and consequent slowdown in sales, in my opinion was a result of media sensationalism to promote newspaper sales. Personally our house, under offer since last October alas buyer unable to sell his property, but still we had no viewings. Now our buyer has a good cash buyer, we have had 2 further viewings since January 1st, second viewing by one of them today. Not much of a reduction in price so hopefully we will be away within the next month or two.
So hang on in there all in a similar position waiting to sell property, and do not be tempted to reduce your prices too much to effect a sale. It will all settle down.
Thanks to all contributors to this forum, it has been invaluable to us during our visa application process.
Roger
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RogerUK
The house market is on the move! The crash, or predicted crash and consequent slowdown in sales, in my opinion was a result of media sensationalism to promote newspaper sales. Personally our house, under offer since last October alas buyer unable to sell his property, but still we had no viewings. Now our buyer has a good cash buyer, we have had 2 further viewings since January 1st, second viewing by one of them today. Not much of a reduction in price so hopefully we will be away within the next month or two.
So hang on in there all in a similar position waiting to sell property, and do not be tempted to reduce your prices too much to effect a sale. It will all settle down.
Thanks to all contributors to this forum, it has been invaluable to us during our visa application process.
Roger

Yes you are right!

Estate agents are doing fantastic business, taking on new staff and as for new mortgage offers the banks and building socs cannot work hard enough to deal with the demand.
House prices show a healthy increase for all of the last 7 months and kids are leaving home to buy up that place they have always wanted.

Prices are on the up as people borrow even more money.

Houses are shifting quicker than at any time...........oh there're not....must be just your place then.

Come on!! You don't come to Oz or NZ for the MONEY. You come for the life enhancing experience. Drop the house price now and get on that plane.

K.S.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

K-S
We are not coming to Oz for the money! Our house was put on the market in the summer at a price lower than similar properties with the aim of effecting a quick sale. No viewings due to media hype. Nothing to do with price at all, everyone bargains nowadays, just no one moving. And yes we live in a part of the country tipped to buck the trend of low sales and depressed prices in 2005.
Regards
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RogerUK
K-S
We are not coming to Oz for the money! Our house was put on the market in the summer at a price lower than similar properties with the aim of effecting a quick sale. No viewings due to media hype. Nothing to do with price at all, everyone bargains nowadays, just no one moving. And yes we live in a part of the country tipped to buck the trend of low sales and depressed prices in 2005.
Regards
Good luck with the move. Hope you get a good price but I can recommend

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/1/prweb198284.php

K.S.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Gosh I really started something with this thread didnt I !!!

Well for those interested- our so called buyers formally withdrew their offer as they discovered today that they couldnt get a mortgage ( after pissing us about for 8 weeks !!!) so we are now back on the market and my house is spotless and eager for its first viewing !!!

I was gutted but have now resigned myself to being in the Uk for a few more months.

By the way, for all those saying sell for less etc etc.

We are not rich and will not be rich in OZ- we have made £40000 on our house in the 4 years we have owned it ( well if it sells !) but we will need a substantial mortgage in OZ and once we have paid for the shipping and new car and rental etc etc then we will not be well off in the slightest. We only anticipate earning a joint income of $60000 in Tasmania ( wages are less than the mainland) and therefore cant afford huge mortgage replayments. As others have said, we are going for a better quality of life not for money reasons.

The truth is that as much as I would like to knock money off the house, if we did, we wouldn't have enough for a deposit on a house in OZ and we just wouldnt be able to go. So thats that

Nat
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:15 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by natty
Gosh I really started something with this thread didnt I !!!

Well for those interested- our so called buyers formally withdrew their offer as they discovered today that they couldnt get a mortgage ( after pissing us about for 8 weeks !!!) so we are now back on the market and my house is spotless and eager for its first viewing !!!

I was gutted but have now resigned myself to being in the Uk for a few more months.

By the way, for all those saying sell for less etc etc.

We are not rich and will not be rich in OZ- we have made £40000 on our house in the 4 years we have owned it ( well if it sells !) but we will need a substantial mortgage in OZ and once we have paid for the shipping and new car and rental etc etc then we will not be well off in the slightest. We only anticipate earning a joint income of $60000 in Tasmania ( wages are less than the mainland) and therefore cant afford huge mortgage replayments. As others have said, we are going for a better quality of life not for money reasons.

The truth is that as much as I would like to knock money off the house, if we did, we wouldn't have enough for a deposit on a house in OZ and we just wouldnt be able to go. So thats that

Nat
LOL LOL, you really did start something didnt you. My husband could not believe that I could get angry with someone that I had never met. I have decided that he is right and vowed never to get involved again

Sorry to hear about your buyer that is really rough news, I hope you get a new buyer soon!!
We are in the same position as you, although we will need some of that money to pay of a few debts too We are going to Oz for lots of reasons and the main being that I just cant stand the thought of another winter, as my bones get older they need more warmth.

Good Luck to you and all that are selling houses.

Sharon
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by natty

Nat
Have you thought that house prices might be on the way down in OZ as well?

It's a world wide thing. So sell for less in UK need less to buy in OZ - result .

K.S.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Come on the crash. Last time I looked my pay hadn't doubled so why should house prices?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kayser Soze

It's a world wide thing. So sell for less in UK need less to buy in OZ - result .

K.S.
Some areas of Australia have dropped, but not as much as some people were thinking. The Melbourne apartment market got hit the worst.

There is talk of possible further drops to about 5% in SOME areas. But some say things will just stay stable for a year or two, and then slowly increase again, but not like the last round of rises.

I think some areas will continue to rise, but others will drop a bit. Pity we don't have a crystal ball though. Without that, it's all just gut feelings

Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:50 pm

K.S.
Who is Kayser Soze

Do you really think so? For as long as we have been considering the move to Oz, which is just over 2 years we have constantly watched the house prices in Oz and have only see a rise and no fall. If house prices were to fall then yes we could sell for less but until we saw evidence of that we will need every penny of the asking price.

Sharon
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:59 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Who is Kayser Soze

Do you really think so? For as long as we have been considering the move to Oz, which is just over 2 years we have constantly watched the house prices in Oz and have only see a rise and no fall. If house prices were to fall then yes we could sell for less but until we saw evidence of that we will need every penny of the asking price.

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

My rellies in Bracken Ridge reckon house prices are falling slightly in their area and I've got to admit that the ones I'm looking at on-line now do seem a little lower in price since we visited Oz last June when we had a look around some of the ones for sale then.

But I don't think that if there has been a slight reduction in sale price in Brisbane that this warrants putting your house down much. You'll get a buyer soon and a price you're happy with I'm sure!

And I agree with your reply to Natty - I can't stand the thought of another winter here either - I'm bloody freezing!!!!!!!!!

Shell
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Who is Kayser Soze

Sharon
Who am I? Just someone who has made the move from UK 3 times now, down under and to Spain and know the value of letting a bit of money go to get on with your plans. Whatever else is happening in UK, price wise, houses are not shifting.
Well with a product that is not shifting you can do one of three things.

Enhance the product so that it is better than your competitor (very difficult with your house), market it better (I'm sure your estate agent is doing his best !!!!) or......lower the price.

Remember time IS money....

K.S.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:32 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Who am I? Just someone who has made the move from UK 3 times now, down under and to Spain and know the value of letting a bit of money go to get on with your plans. Whatever else is happening in UK, price wise, houses are not shifting.

Enhance the product so that it is better than your competitor (very difficult with your house), market it better (I'm sure your estate agent is doing his best !!!!) or......lower the price.

K.S.
You sound like you're in my line of work - Marketing!!! Time is money - love it.

Rob
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:34 pm

K.S.
Sorry, no offence meant asking who you were. (Usual suspects is one of my fav films)
Yes a lot of what you say makes sense, just scary when you have planned everything down to the last dollar. In our case though time really is money as I lose my job on the 27th of this month, and imagine it will be pretty hard to find employment when I may be leaving the country in a couple of months so probably wont be able to work again till Oz. I really dont know, just keep hoping that things are on the up. We have had a very interested couple this week and coming back with teenage children tomorrow for 2nd viewing and they are in good position. I have to make the validation trip at the end of this month and think we may have to review things when I come back.

Sharon
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:44 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

Bloody hell, just reading some of these posts make me feel faint. We are due to get our visa grant "any day now" according to our agent. We are now in the process of chucking out all our crap and decorating throughout. I spoke to a couple of estate agents and they were of the firm belief that there will not be a housing crash, not in the South West anyway. Looking around town there have been quite a few "Sold" signs put up since Christmas, so lets hope it stays that way for a while.

In response to the previous posts saying it's so expensive to buy, especially for the 20 somethings now, of course it is, everything is relative, my dad bought his first house for about £4 grand back in the 70's, it crippled him, especially as he was only earning about 5 quid a week.

Me and my hubby (not hubby then) bough our house about 9 years ago, it has been a struggle, even with 2 incomes. Property is supposed to be an investment, that's why we went to our limit - to upsize gradually and then downsize for retirement for an income, lets face it our pensions are going to be worth bugger all.

The German's have the answer - 99 year mortgages, mortgages can passed down a couple of generations with tiny repayments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.