Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
I think it is you that has missed the point, why have you chosen this site to voice your concerns???
Not entirely sure what your argument is
As long as there is a chronic shortage of housing in England property prices will always remain high but this is something you should take up with the goverment not us.
Is it that we are taking our money to Australia rather than putting it back into the economy here. Consumer spending is at its highest and it has not made any impact on house prices, so if we move five miles or ten thousand miles house prices will remain high.
My net worth is not up for discussion. And we have worked bloody hard
Can you please explain to me why you are not leaving the country? and why you will not be selling your house at a reduced price to help a young couple climb on the housing ladder? and why you think that we should stay and watch our children drown!!
You should be encouraging us, the more people that leave the country the more houses available and if enough of us leave there will no longer be a housing crisis and prices will come down.
ps, note I said "you" and not "you people" I am not a bigot

There is no chronic housing shorage in the UK. That is a myth peddled by the vested interests, such as Estate Agents, banks, mortgage lenders, kirsty and phil on Location location location etc. If property was is such short supply then why have rents not tripled in the last 5 years in the same way as house prices have?

The reason for high house prices in the UK (and Australia) is due to a speculative frenzy whipped up by new landlords (Buy to Letters BTL) and desperate First time buyers (FTB). The BTL are those who believe that house prices will always rise, encouraged by the bullish media. The pensions crisis also encouraged this new breed of amateur landlord. The FTB were paying well over the odds, as they were scared that if they do not buy now, they will lose out forever. I must add that most of the FTB could only afford the ridiculously overpriced houses due to large handouts form mum and dad for a deposit.

There is no shortage of housing in the UK in general. Sure London is a squeeze, but has ALWAYS been so. Is there a shortage of Housing in Rural Northern England, or Wales? Of course there is not, yet houses have tripled in value in these locations, classic signs of an unsustainable bubble.

One thing that does make me wonder though. How are you doing your kids a favour by taking them to OZ so that they "will not drown" in the sinking ship UK, (quoting you). Aussie house prices are even worse for Aussie kids when you take into account the poorer local wages earnt. You must remember that unlike you, they will not have a one off cash windfall from a UK house sale to kick start them in OZ.

That is of course if you can find anyone stupid or deperate enough to purchase your overpriced pile of bricks and mortar. Knock about 20% off to get a quick sale, the UK housing market con of the last 7 years is crashing, this summer is going to be painful, best to get out before the penny drops with the general public.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:24 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eatstatic
There is no chronic housing shorage in the UK. That is a myth peddled by the vested interests, such as Estate Agents, banks, mortgage lenders, kirsty and phil on Location location location etc. If property was is such short supply then why have rents not tripled in the last 5 years in the same way as house prices have?

The reason for high house prices in the UK (and Australia) is due to a speculative frenzy whipped up by new landlords (Buy to Letters BTL) and desperate First time buyers (FTB). The BTL are those who believe that house prices will always rise, encouraged by the bullish media. The pensions crisis also encouraged this new breed of amateur landlord. The FTB were paying well over the odds, as they were scared that if they do not buy now, they will lose out forever. I must add that most of the FTB could only afford the ridiculously overpriced houses due to large handouts form mum and dad for a deposit.

There is no shortage of housing in the UK in general. Sure London is a squeeze, but has ALWAYS been so. Is there a shortage of Housing in Rural Northern England, or Wales? Of course there is not, yet houses have tripled in value in these locations, classic signs of an unsustainable bubble.

One thing that does make me wonder though. How are you doing your kids a favour by taking them to OZ so that they "will not drown" in the sinking ship UK, (quoting you). Aussie house prices are even worse for Aussie kids when you take into account the poorer local wages earnt. You must remember that unlike you, they will not have a one off cash windfall from a UK house sale to kick start them in OZ.

That is of course if you can find anyone stupid or deperate enough to purchase your overpriced pile of bricks and mortar. Knock about 20% off to get a quick sale, the UK housing market con of the last 7 years is crashing, this summer is going to be painful, best to get out before the penny drops with the general public.
Sorry, but I am not playing your game, I didn’t join this forum to argue politics. I have got a life
Why is it exactly that you joined this forum?? I take it that you are not moving to Australia, so have not come on here to find useful information. And you have certainly not come here to win friends and influence people. Why don’t you check out http://brawl-hall.com/pages/ I have a feeling that you will feel at home there.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

lloydyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I have just checked out this link. The contributors to this site appear to delight in the misfortune of people on this site. Why is that? Is it some kind of rivallry thing? If so, I am rather baffled by it all Wouldn't it be better to offer advice than gloat

Our house is up for sale and no interest yet. Medicals just done so gives us a little time but am worried about what most of you have gone through, either lack of interest or people dropping out at last minute. My husband is really annoying as he has never been involved in selling a house before and seems to think that everything will work out perfectly, visa, sale of house, move to oz. He is so confident about this he wants to take our house off the market until we get our perm visa. Causing so much agro, without everything else going on. Good luck to all of you.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by lloydyboy
Our house is up for sale and no interest yet. Medicals just done so gives us a little time but am worried about what most of you have gone through, either lack of interest or people dropping out at last minute. My husband is really annoying as he has never been involved in selling a house before and seems to think that everything will work out perfectly, visa, sale of house, move to oz. He is so confident about this he wants to take our house off the market until we get our perm visa. Causing so much agro, without everything else going on. Good luck to all of you.
Hi
I know exactly where you are coming from. My husband was exactly the same and now I have to go to Australia at the end of this month with the children to get the initial entry stamp and come back again. I wanted to put my house on the market last Spring but he was so un-worried about it all that he kept saying no, whats the rush?? so ended up putting it on in September and still here.
On the other hand I think it may be a good balance because if my husband was like me we would have had a rather rattled house last year.
Do you have a rough idea of when you will get your Visa result? And would it be easy for you to find somewhere to live if your house sold well before your visa's came, if so then you should talk your husband into leaving it on because as you will know by reading the posts, once you have your visas you just want to go and it's a bit of a downer not being able to go because you havent sold your house yet.

Good Luck!
Sharon
ps, think things are on the up, I have had 3 viewings this week and one very positive one, that we are hoping to hear more from over the weekend.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:15 am
Go Banana's !!

Geeze can't believe I am going to say this, but this is actually a very good point!
You can correct me if I am wrong but during the search for a possible buy to let, I have found it hard to find anything half way descent below $220,000 and most, but not all, being between $250,000 - $300,000. Recently 2 of our friends have been very lucky with houses, but it is not the norm. (divorces and quick sales!)

So taking this into account a young person would be extremely lucky or smart to earn lets say $50,000, that means the first time buyer houes are still 4/5/6 times their annual wage.

In the UK that would be a very nice 'expensive' house for the same in pounds. As a percentage of the wages here the houses are more expensive.

I'm not being negative just telling you my observations, 'cos when this dawned on me, it was quite a shock.

Jill

Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:08 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Geeze can't believe I am going to say this, but this is actually a very good point!
You can correct me if I am wrong but during the search for a possible buy to let, I have found it hard to find anything half way descent below $220,000 and most, but not all, being between $250,000 - $300,000. Recently 2 of our friends have been very lucky with houses, but it is not the norm. (divorces and quick sales!)

So taking this into account a young person would be extremely lucky or smart to earn lets say $50,000, that means the first time buyer houes are still 4/5/6 times their annual wage.

In the UK that would be a very nice 'expensive' house for the same in pounds. As a percentage of the wages here the houses are more expensive.

I'm not being negative just telling you my observations, 'cos when this dawned on me, it was quite a shock.

Jill
Sorry for hijacking the thread but gonna agree with Jill, we have the lump sums, we come to OZ and don't need a full mortgage, the next generation down from us will have major problems. remember award wage over here is only around $14/hour. Hubby at the mo is in the position of being on only $14.50 and we can't survive on that even with a tiny mortgage so how will our children.
Jenny
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:34 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry your having such a sh!tty time with selling your house Natty,its a nightmare, i know! hang on in there,thinking of you & wishing it all works out soon x

Good luck Karma on its way,hope it helps x

Donna.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by madsad
Sorry your having such a sh!tty time with selling your house Natty,its a nightmare, i know! hang on in there,thinking of you & wishing it all works out soon x

Good luck Karma on its way,hope it helps x

Donna.
As one who is coming home from NZ in the next few months can I suggest to all those who wish to move down here to Oz or NZ from UK that you just DROP :scared: the price of your house to a sensible level (maybe 20-30% for starters) and get things going.

You know it makes sense and will let you get on with 'living the dream'.

K.S.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 6:07 am
Just Joined

juzzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Another house sale disaster- the sequel !!!

Hi, I am new to this site and am now living in Oz with a flat in the UK which i want to sell, and wondered if anyone could tell me, if there are any problems/expenses associated with bringing the money from the sale into Australia?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:40 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just put our house back on the market as the current buyer is not doing anything. We have already got a viewer coming on Tues (18th ) and its only been back on the market a few days.

We are still hoping that the current buyer will go through with the sale and are doing this to give him a kick up the pants.

Dave
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:02 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see we are not the only ones going through this crap. Although anyone else who is trying to sell at the moment has my sympathy.

Our house has been on the market since last June and we accepted an offer in October, we are still waiting for completion although we are getting closer with each Month that drags on. We should get there by about March.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by davidclifford
We have just put our house back on the market as the current buyer is not doing anything. We have already got a viewer coming on Tues (18th ) and its only been back on the market a few days.

We are still hoping that the current buyer will go through with the sale and are doing this to give him a kick up the pants.

Dave
Maybe a better alternative would be to reduce the price for a quick sale? It could save a lot of heartache come April when the so called Spring bounce does not arrive. Instead the Spring Flood of properties coming onto the market from sellers who have held back from advertising until then will push house prices way down from the current immorally high prices.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!

Jill
Bloody hell, some realism at least about OZ and the cost of living! House prices for Aussie youngsters are even worse than the position of their UK counterparts. No one can call Go Bannanas a negative troll, just check out their post history!

As a side note, I see ChattyShazza has gone real quite on her ridiculous statement about saving her kids from drowning in sinking ship UK. Guess she knows when in a hole stop digging....then again she could save herself the cost of flying to OZ, nice long cheap tunnel!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:27 pm

Bloody hell, some realism at least about OZ and the cost of living! House prices for Aussie youngsters are even worse than the position of their UK counterparts. No one can call Go Bannanas a negative troll, just check out their post history!

As a side note, I see ChattyShazza has gone real quite on her ridiculous statement about saving her kids from drowning in sinking ship UK. Guess she knows when in a hole stop digging....then again she could save herself the cost of flying to OZ, nice long cheap tunnel!
Actually, I too thought you had made some valid points. But feel that you are not giving information to be helpful; indeed you come across as quite aggressive so on writing a ridiculously long reply decided I would be wasting my time and deleted it.
I do feel that England is a sinking ship at the moment. I live 10mins away from LHR and I can assure you that just about everyone that lives in this area feels like they are on a sinking ship too.
I am off to Oz and looking forward to it, and if by any chance it is not for us I wont come back on here rubbishing it.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:09 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe a better alternative would be to reduce the price for a quick sale? It could save a lot of heartache come April when the so called Spring bounce does not arrive. Instead the Spring Flood of properties coming onto the market from sellers who have held back from advertising until then will push house prices way down from the current immorally high prices.
We have already agreed a price with the current buyer, if he wants to make a lower offer then he can, as long as he does something and that includes pulling out. BTW I think we are selling it for far less than it is worth anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.