Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Amazon opening up In Australia

Amazon opening up In Australia

Old Aug 3rd 2017, 6:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon opening up In Australia

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They won't be delivering their own parcels though Not for the first couple of years at least.

Post will be.

Chances are they won't ever get their own delivery fleet in this country by the looks.

They've already been in talks.
If they rely on auspost for anything other than delivering to remote regional locations, they will be in trouble. They just aren't competent enough to be trusted.

I think if I were them I'd be looking at doing their own main logistics between cities, etc. and then poaching the 'man with a van' local delivery contractor types for delivery inside the cities - hiring and firing to get a set that are useful.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If they rely on auspost for anything other than delivering to remote regional locations, they will be in trouble. They just aren't competent enough to be trusted.

I think if I were them I'd be looking at doing their own main logistics between cities, etc. and then poaching the 'man with a van' local delivery contractor types for delivery inside the cities - hiring and firing to get a set that are useful.
Disagree its the van drivers you can't trust even the UK version.... They've come to the realisation that full time posties are the most reliable....hence this choice

It's already locked in.....thats why they've opened in Dandenong and been regular visitors to Aus Post in Dandenong...its also why Post is rolling out its parcel trikes.

Parcels now top priority at post. Circulars sent to every staff member.

This is small parcels up to 5 kilos I'm talking about.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 3rd 2017 at 5:00 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree its the van drivers you can't trust even the UK version.... They've come to the realisation that full time posties are the most reliable....hence this choice

It's already locked in.....thats why they've opened in Dandenong and been regular visitors to Aus Post in Dandenong...its also why Post is rolling out its parcel trikes.

Parcels now top priority at post. Circulars sent to every staff member.

This is small parcels up to 5 kilos I'm talking about.
But full time posties are unionised, and no company wants to deal with union costs.

The manual jobs will start appearing soon. Plenty in the tech area already.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/locations/melbourne-australia?base_query=&loc_query=&job_count=10&resu lt_limit=10&sort=relevant&location%5B%5D=melbourne-australia&cache

Plenty in Brisbane too

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/locations/brisbane-australia?base_query=&loc_query=&job_count=7&resul t_limit=10&sort=relevant&location%5B%5D=brisbane-australia&cache
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
But full time posties are unionised, and no company wants to deal with union costs.

The manual jobs will start appearing soon. Plenty in the tech area already.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/locati...ustralia&cache

Plenty in Brisbane too

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/locati...ustralia&cache
Amazon Australia will definitely become unionized.

Methinks they are playing a clever game of going with the flow ....... "For the time being"

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 3rd 2017 at 11:13 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Trust the auspost posties

When you add up the lost post, the late post, the 'here's a card, we can't be bothered to deliver' post - then you have to have at least 25% that are 'failed'.

If they go with auspost for the city stuff, then they are toast. They just aren't even close to reliable. And as for ontime ...

They might get forced to auspost for the rural deliveries, but even there, they need a watertight SLA that puts the liability on auspost. It would be a bad misstep to go with auspost for elsewhere, even as a temporary measure. It would tarnish their brand.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon Australia will definitely become unionized.

Methinks they are playing a clever game of going with the flow ....... "For the time being"
Ho ho ho. You don't become Amazon playing with unions.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:10 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

What amazes me is that with all the online shopping sites taking off and people changing their buying habits, Australia Post could make a fortune if they had half a clue. It's a growing market and they appear to be just ignoring it, or worse still sticking two fingers up at it. It beggars belief.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by spuddyo
What amazes me is that with all the online shopping sites taking off and people changing their buying habits, Australia Post could make a fortune if they had half a clue. It's a growing market and they appear to be just ignoring it, or worse still sticking two fingers up at it. It beggars belief.
It's not that they are ignoring it, the bought Start rack after all, but that they are just cr*p at customer service. They keep trying to make the service worse with the idea that that is good business. They simply have no idea of what the customer deems 'acceptable'.

Take their practice of carding, for instance. As you'll know, the usual in the UK is that if you really aren't home, they leave a card, but will attempt to deliver tomorrow if you don't collect. Here they seem to think not even trying to deliver, just leaving a card, is them doing their job - no thought of retrying enters their mind.

They are undeniably mismanaged, but worse than that, I truly don't think they have a clue how bad they are.

Metro to Metro should ALWAYS mean next day, if posted before 3pm.

They can't even reliably manage next week.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spuddyo
It would be beggers belief if what you're saying was actually true.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australia-post-halfyear-profit-197-million-after-strong-parcels-growth/news-story/e2c86d31223299f97c6671c751aa3ebf
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not that they are ignoring it, the bought Start rack after all, but that they are just cr*p at customer service. They keep trying to make the service worse with the idea that that is good business. They simply have no idea of what the customer deems 'acceptable'.

Take their practice of carding, for instance. As you'll know, the usual in the UK is that if you really aren't home, they leave a card, but will attempt to deliver tomorrow if you don't collect. Here they seem to think not even trying to deliver, just leaving a card, is them doing their job - no thought of retrying enters their mind.

They are undeniably mismanaged, but worse than that, I truly don't think they have a clue how bad they are.

Remember we are talking Postie here..... Not van drivers private contracted Aus Post or Star Track. The posties will be claiming more of that work allocated to those contractors with the new delivery trikes.

KPMG "Postie" figures.

First time delivery = 88pct
Express next day metro delivery 98 pct.
All of Amazons parcels will be considered express.
Pick up from local LPO now by 3 pm. = 96.4 pct.

Throwing parcels is now first time sackable. I'm talking in the centres whilst sorting as well. That's a massive culture change in itself believe it or not.

This Amazon deal is really locked in.

Further clue, All of the Book Depositary articles are delivered by "Postie"

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 4th 2017 at 3:44 am.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been firing a bunch of docs between Sydney and Perth via Express Post recently. Everytime its in the post by 4pm Sydney time, and arrives at the destination in Perth by 11am. Not once has it been delayed.

On the carding, yep that is a disgrace, I recently moved into a house where I work in the front room. Twice I have seen the delivery guy approach the door with a card. Naturally I tore him a new one.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Remember we are talking Postie here..... Not van drivers private contracted Aus Post or Star Track. The posties will be claiming more of that work allocated to those contractors, with the new delivery trikes.

KPMG figures.

First time delivery = 88pct
Express next day metro delivery 98 pct.
All of Amazons parcels will be considered express.
Pick up from local LPO now by 3 pm. = 96.4 pct.

Throwing parcels is now first time sackable. I'm talking in the centres whilst sorting as well. That's a massive culture change in itself believe it or not.

This Amazon deal is really locked in.
You should know by now that you can get any answer you like out of a consultant - just wheel the money in the door. All you need to to is muck about with the standards and terms. That's particularly true of auspost delivery standards, where 'acceptable' gets defined by auspost, then reflected back to them from the government as 'standards'. No wonder they meet them when they define them themselves.

For instance, I'll bet that 'first time delivery' includes bulk junk mail - which nobody is ever going complain about not getting. I know they fiddle the day count for normal parcels (only starts the day after you post), and parcels that go missing for three weeks is certainly something I've had more than once.

And I notice you don't mention the situation with cards and not only failing to attempt to deliver more than once, but also not even attempting to deliver and only carrying the card.

And as for how many times I've had mail delivered to me that was addressed to someone else on the street, or on another street....

As I've said, their performance is less than 75%.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You should know by now that you can get any answer you like out of a consultant - just wheel the money in the door. All you need to to is muck about with the standards and terms. That's particularly true of auspost delivery standards, where 'acceptable' gets defined by auspost, then reflected back to them from the government as 'standards'. No wonder they meet them when they define them themselves.

For instance, I'll bet that 'first time delivery' includes bulk junk mail - which nobody is ever going complain about not getting. I know they fiddle the day count for normal parcels (only starts the day after you post), and parcels that go missing for three weeks is certainly something I've had more than once.

And I notice you don't mention the situation with cards and not only failing to attempt to deliver more than once, but also not even attempting to deliver and only carrying the card.

And as for how many times I've had mail delivered to me that was addressed to someone else on the street, or on another street....

As I've said, their performance is less than 75%.

Amazon have bought it by the looks.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I ordered something from Amazon USA and when it came it was postmarked somewhere in Australia - Melbourne IIRC. I looked at the address on Google Earth and it appeared to be a construction site in the (old) photo.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like AU Amazon could be up and running before Christmas

https://thewest.com.au/business/reta...-ng-b88593805z

Expect more bluster from Gerry Harvey

Bring it on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.