Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Originally Posted by Grayling
It was a joke!

People make jokes on here all the time. People make derogatory statements on here all the time.

People make xenophobic comments on here all the time.

Why is it only seen as a crime when it concerns overweight people?

G

who said it was just a crime about overweight people? ...not i... i only speak for myself.
to degrade, ridicule, or put down others purely for your own ends is wrong regarless of who or what they are... this just happens to be a thread about being overweight and you chose to say the things you did and therefore open yourself up for a reply!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
who said it was just a crime about overweight people? ...not i... i only speak for myself.
to degrade, ridicule, or put down others purely for your own ends is wrong regarless of who or what they are... this just happens to be a thread about being overweight and you chose to say the things you did and therefore open yourself up for a reply!
And my comments at the start of this thread were supportive...read them.

I did not start the black humour.

G
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

And my comments at the start of this thread were supportive...read them.

I did not start the black humour.

G

Ahhh ok then..you carry on... i'm sure it will be appreciated...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:14 pm
The golf better be good!

Click69 is an unknown quantity at this point

We did our medicals today. I am 254 lbs and 6'2''. Doctor said there was nothing to worry about as far as the visa is concerned. Although he did recommend loosing weight for my own sake.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 9:33 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by podgypossum
and this from a man who professes to have worked many years in a "caring" profession... god help us ..

Ummm......... just what I was thinking

Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ummm......... just what I was thinking
So is there an upper limit on the BMI scale, having flicked through this thread it would seem 30-35 (not sure if that’s male and female limits) is the upper limit with an allowance for additional musculature.

I like the humour in this thread, especially the talc, but always remember a lardass can get thin but an ugly moron is stuck with the condition.

Thrud

There are four people sharing a compartment on a train - a beautiful young Italian woman, a rather elderly German lady, an American man, and a Canadian man.
They're making polite small talk when the train goes through a tunnel. All you can hear in the darkness is a huge "WHACK!" When they come out the other side, the American is rubbing the side of his face which is all red.
The American thinks "Damn, that Canadian fool must have grabbed that young Italian woman, and she slapped me thinking I'd done it."
The Italian woman thinks "Damn, that stupid American must have tried to feel me up, missed, groped that old German woman instead, and she must have slapped him for it."
The German lady thinks "Damn, that stupid American must have groped that young Italian woman in the darkness, and she must have slapped him for it."
The Canadian man thinks "I hope we go through another tunnel so I can smack that American again!"
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough

LOL this has made me chuckle ju must have found my password,I told her to rub toilet paper on her cleavage and she asked "why" i said that it would make them grow because it has worked on her ass!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:21 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Julie

My post was a general point and not just directed at you.

This crops up regularly though and most posters seem more worried about passing the medical than being overweight

Overweight is actually a serious medical issue, like Alcohol abuse or smoking.

Your health is far more important to you and your family than whether you get a visa or not.

Hopefully the migration process will act as a spur to you (and lots of others) to do something about it.

If you are only a bit overweight then the medical will be a breeze. This does not mean you should not address it though.

Good luck

G
Hiya just wanted to say i am overweight and i do know the effect this has on my health but i have a condtion called polycystic ovarian cyst syndrome while this directly doesn't effect my health it does make it very difficult for me to control my weight. the medicals have been worrying my hubby and i and i have started to go to weight watchers as i am having trouble losing the weight i gained while pregnant with my son, which is a pain considering i lost weight to fall pregnant in the 1st place. so any genuine advice on medicals would be gratefully accepted we have just had xrays as we are going to sydney on 457 visas and then applying for pr when we arrive as hubby already has a job. the reason we are emigrating to oz is because i don't want my son to become another statistic of fatties and as oz is so big on sport thought this would be best place for him to grow up.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dazlin
Hi all

Me and my partner are in the process of immigrating to Oz and in about six months it will be time for our medicals.

I am now starting to worry that after I have my medical they will tell me I am to over weight.

Does anyone know what they class as "to heavy"?

Thanks
Julie

If it helps put your mind at rest, I was 5ft 9inches and 20 stone (clinically obese) I have normal blood pressure and no history of diabetes - they gave me a visa no problems.

On a positive note since being here (11 weeks) I’ve lost nearly two stone, lots of cheep fruit and vegetables and no need for stodgy food to see you through the cold weather.

Sam
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:12 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sam&molly
If it helps put your mind at rest, I was 5ft 9inches and 20 stone (clinically obese) I have normal blood pressure and no history of diabetes - they gave me a visa no problems.

On a positive note since being here (11 weeks) I’ve lost nearly two stone, lots of cheep fruit and vegetables and no need for stodgy food to see you through the cold weather.

Sam
thanks for that sam but i am embarrassed to say i ma heavier than u and i am 5'8 genereally i am in good health i had gestational diabetes while pregnant but the pcos had alot to do with that as it is a related condition i regularly check my levels as i still have the blood monitor they gave me while pregnant and since thomas was born i have been fine touch wood
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
We already have enough fat lard arse Aussies so we don't need fat lard arse Poms, lose weight or immigrate to America, land of the lard.
It’s ironic that Oz is actually the fattest nation on earth - having the highest % of obese individuals and has the highest average waist size. Oz children are nearly 10% heavy than their US counterparts. So Australia is the natural home of the over weight.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:34 am
wombat42

If l was Oz's Minister for immigration l would make it that all potential female immigrants to OZ would have to be able to fit into a size 6 Bikini before they are allowed into the country.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:57 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

eating out is a bad way to control your weight in oz. the food portion sizes they give are nowhere near as bad as the us, but man they are big. i usually end up taking home half in a doggy bag and having it for lunch the next day.

i had to laugh at the new deli-choices from maccas (not that i ever eat there) but the 'healthy' rolls are twice the size of the big-mac, and not much better for you!

anyway, i was out at dinner with a group of people the other night, one of whom was a dietitan. we ended up discussing about a 'standard meal'. when you buy a beer/wine/spirit bottle it states on the side something like "approx 1.4 standard drinks", etc. we though that restaurants should do the same. i.e a bigmac is "approx 3.6 standard meals", or the pizza from domino's is "approx 16.4 standard meals", and the curry is "2 standard meals".

obviously the hardest part is defining a standard meal, is it by the number of kilojoules (kilo-calories for the imperial folk out there) the meal has, or do we have to break it down into %'s of carb/protein/fat, or some weird and wacky algorithm of them all.

i reckon that would help cut down on obesity, as restaurants wouldn't get away with serving meals of 4 or 5 times the recommended amounts as one meal.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisnick
eating out is a bad way to control your weight in oz. the food portion sizes they give are nowhere near as bad as the us, but man they are big. i usually end up taking home half in a doggy bag and having it for lunch the next day.

i had to laugh at the new deli-choices from maccas (not that i ever eat there) but the 'healthy' rolls are twice the size of the big-mac, and not much better for you!

anyway, i was out at dinner with a group of people the other night, one of whom was a dietitan. we ended up discussing about a 'standard meal'. when you buy a beer/wine/spirit bottle it states on the side something like "approx 1.4 standard drinks", etc. we though that restaurants should do the same. i.e a bigmac is "approx 3.6 standard meals", or the pizza from domino's is "approx 16.4 standard meals", and the curry is "2 standard meals".

obviously the hardest part is defining a standard meal, is it by the number of kilojoules (kilo-calories for the imperial folk out there) the meal has, or do we have to break it down into %'s of carb/protein/fat, or some weird and wacky algorithm of them all.

i reckon that would help cut down on obesity, as restaurants wouldn't get away with serving meals of 4 or 5 times the recommended amounts as one meal.
That sounds like a really good idea. Something that everybody could understand.

Theresa
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sam&molly

Sam

Blimey!! I started my new excercise regime/diet before Christmas thinking my meds would be requested in around July. Nice sustainable weight loss I thought, mainly got it underway for health reasons . Started out pretty big (I mean BIG - 150Kg!) Meds arrived in mid February so the diet when up 76 gears. I have managed to lose nealy 2½ stone to date but my BMI is still just under 42. I resigned myslf to the fact that I would fail the meds (because of the +40 BMI) despite being otherwise in perfectly good health. Reading your post has given me hope again as this seems not to be the case. Fingers crossed for Thursday

Last edited by Rabc; Apr 8th 2005 at 9:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.