Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I thought you moved to Sweden?
Nope - did a contract there and we hoped it would turn permanent but the company could not raise enough cash to carry on. So, I returned to Oz and then last sunday finally made the permanent move back to the UK
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep another casualty of the resource bust. I know Perth is close to you, but spare a thought for those in other places. Aberdeen for starters.

How has the oil price fall hit Scotland's north east? - How has the oil price fall hit Scotland's north east? - BBC News
I spare many thoughts for those affected by any downturn and in any industry. It is never good for anyone. Even those who keep their jobs are affected by stress of wondering if they will be ok.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Just part of the natural cycle for Perth right?
Indeed it is - just like any resources based city. Aberdeen, Denver, Houston, Calgary (especially them) etc are all suffering

This one is pretty bad. Talking to the old hands, it is on a par with the one on the early '80s (which was intensified as the rest of Australia went into recession too)
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it is - just like any resources based city. Aberdeen, Denver, Houston, Calgary (especially them) etc are all suffering

This one is pretty bad. Talking to the old hands, it is on a par with the one on the early '80s (which was intensified as the rest of Australia went into recession too)
Yep a mate of mine lost his lucrative gig in Norway. Another mate lost his lucrative gig at BP in London.

I guess its "bank it while its hot"
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly when it was hot, resource companies in Perth used to squeeze me for price all the time. Now they are asking for me to come and do it for virtually free.

Perhaps if they'd paid full price when it was hot I'd be a little more sympathetic. Screw that - infrastructure pays full price.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The 80's one was the worst I've seen as it conincided with the drought that changed Melbourne and I assume all of SE Australia forever. Farmers were killing all of their stock and the Nature Strips and Parks of Melbourne and other Victorian towns have never been as green since. No more Sprinklers on 24/7 and a Country that now realised it can be affected/devasted by overseas finances. it as quite scary at the time because there seemed no way out. Australia felt very alone and abandoned at the time, No proper trading partners had been established after losing it's main trading partner the UK to the EEC.

It's come a long way since those times as it had no choice but to turn to the Asian markets and what a boon that turned out to be

It's looking like the UK and the commonwealth may now be back to trading full on with Aus once again if Brexit happens. Interesting times ahead.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The 80's one was the worst I've seen as it conincided with the drought that changed Melbourne and I assume all of SE Australia forever. Farmers were killing all of their stock and the Nature Strips and Parks of Melbourne and other Victorian towns have never been as green since. No more Sprinklers on 24/7 and a Country that now realised it can be affected/devasted by overseas finances. it as quite scary at the time because there seemed no way out. Australia felt very alone and abandoned at the time, No proper trading partners had been established after losing it's main trading partner the UK to the EEC.

It's come a long way since those times as it had no choice but to turn to the Asian markets and what a boon that turned out to be

It's looking like the UK and the commonwealth may now be back to trading full on with Aus once again if Brexit happens. Interesting times ahead.
And puts the current situation in perspective
Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by verystormy
Nope - did a contract there and we hoped it would turn permanent but the company could not raise enough cash to carry on. So, I returned to Oz and then last sunday finally made the permanent move back to the UK
Fair enough. The way that you were making out that Sweden is superior to Australia in every way possible made it look like you were moving

Enjoy the UK
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Interesting article, as I've got two Aus Born UK Passported Daughters that have/are doing this UK adventure. One thing struck me, the oldest who was there for 5 years struck that condescension chromosome with a vengeance. She found it very difficult to progress in any job over there, although she has pointed out to me quite sternly when I told her she didn't do as well there as she did here.... She was never unemployed during the peak of the GFC in the UK... So fair go to her... Still she came back after 5 years and walked straight into a project manager job with the NBN and progressed from there.... She now has a very successful and growing personal fitness business and is actually talking with the CEO of Anytime Fitness this week about them using her plan throughout Australia. Still point is, she couldn't "make it" big in the UK the way she has here.

Youngest daughter received her first UK passport this week, The Electrical Engineer drop out who's head has been turned by becoming some kind of super saleswomen on a very high income for a 21 year old. She's going armed with a plethora of contacts in Aus to represent them at a very high level as their sales person in the Wine producers area..... Stay tuned,. Lets see how she gets on/received.

Youngest is very aware that her older and automatic door opening attractive sister faced some major xenophobic 'tudes when it came to progressing. This one opens doors with her intelligence, charm and grace though..... and dare I say Melbourne class.

Personally I reckon she should be going to China. I guess there isn't much point if she hasn't learnt Chinese....'yet'....
And I have had the same xenophobic attitude over here that has majorly crimped my career.
It's not that you don't have the talent to progress in either the UK or Oz but it is the racist attitudes of the born and breed brigade.
Unfortunately you can never tell if a company has executives like this until it's to late