Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Have you seen this article? It is claiming that almost 100,000 residents and citizens left Oz in two months

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...-say-farewell/

I'm not really sure if I'm that surprised. I left Perth at the start of 2015 for the east coast, and I hear from my friends that it is pretty quiet over there.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 100,000 people left Australia Dec-Jan

Thus it ever was. Two years ago the worry was about the reverse.

The decline of the Australian in the UK - BBC News
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whoaaa..... Tasmania is catching on after all.... I figured it might/should. As per the end of the article. Better get my skates on re property over there.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thus it ever was. Two years ago the worry was about the reverse.

The decline of the Australian in the UK - BBC News

Interesting article, as I've got two Aus Born UK Passported Daughters that have/are doing this UK adventure. One thing struck me, the oldest who was there for 5 years struck that condescension chromosome with a vengeance. She found it very difficult to progress in any job over there, although she has pointed out to me quite sternly when I told her she didn't do as well there as she did here.... She was never unemployed during the peak of the GFC in the UK... So fair go to her... Still she came back after 5 years and walked straight into a project manager job with the NBN and progressed from there.... She now has a very successful and growing personal fitness business and is actually talking with the CEO of Anytime Fitness this week about them using her plan throughout Australia. Still point is, she couldn't "make it" big in the UK the way she has here.

Youngest daughter received her first UK passport this week, The Electrical Engineer drop out who's head has been turned by becoming some kind of super saleswomen on a very high income for a 21 year old. She's going armed with a plethora of contacts in Aus to represent them at a very high level as their sales person in the Wine producers area..... Stay tuned,. Lets see how she gets on/received.

Youngest is very aware that her older and automatic door opening attractive sister faced some major xenophobic 'tudes when it came to progressing. This one opens doors with her intelligence, charm and grace though..... and dare I say Melbourne class.

Personally I reckon she should be going to China. I guess there isn't much point if she hasn't learnt Chinese....'yet'....
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Would not be surprised.

I left on Saturday. In the check in at Perth airport the family in front were leaving and the family behind me.

I was at Move Cube last Thursday and they commented that they are inundated with Brits leaving.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
Would not be surprised.

I left on Saturday. In the check in at Perth airport the family in front were leaving and the family behind me.

I was at Move Cube last Thursday and they commented that they are inundated with Brits leaving.
It looks like the exodus really is on. Do you think the WA companies are now favouring Aussies as first choice workers ? Reason I ask is my soon to be SiL (Friday they get married) is now finding it easier than ever to get Fifo work, he is working at Onslow on a new pier at present, and is insisting that my about to turn 18yo son and his GF get their arses up to the NW as there is a shortage of unskilled local staff, which according to him can easily lead to permanent trade linked careers ?

There's a mega infrastructure boom coming here in Victoria and I would assume as times get tougher that will spread around the rest of Aus.

I've a feeling that this exodus could favour young Aussies.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Economics 101 - labour that can move freely, will

Nothing to see here
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if we will see a new type of migrant trying their hand here, including from the UK, in order to service the coming food bowl of Asia growth, that is supposed to be and looks like is now happening ?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When they say 'left permanently' are they taking that from what people tick/write on their departure cards at the airport because we all know that means sweet f a.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wonder if we will see a new type of migrant trying their hand here, including from the UK, in order to service the coming food bowl of Asia growth, that is supposed to be and looks like is now happening ?
The northern food bowl will happen but will not be labour intensive as agriculture is highly mechanised

Don't write commodities off just yet either as they will rebound - but who knows when

The super cycle is still in play IMO
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Would not be surprised.

I guess one should ask how so many Brits ended up in Perth in the first place (commodity boom maybe) and did they expect that the commodity boom would last forever.

Just part of the natural cycle for Perth right?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who have gone through a lot of the resource cycles, and they all say they have never seen it as bad as this. That is also echoed by AUSIMM - the official mining body. RSC also produce a lot of data on the employment in the resource industry. They are one of the biggest providers of consultants to the industry and I have done most of my contracting and consulting through them. I called them before I left Australia the other week to wish them well. They currently don't have a single person employed and have had to close their Perth office
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who have gone through a lot of the resource cycles, and they all say they have never seen it as bad as this. That is also echoed by AUSIMM - the official mining body. RSC also produce a lot of data on the employment in the resource industry. They are one of the biggest providers of consultants to the industry and I have done most of my contracting and consulting through them. I called them before I left Australia the other week to wish them well. They currently don't have a single person employed and have had to close their Perth office
Yep another casualty of the resource bust. I know Perth is close to you, but spare a thought for those in other places. Aberdeen for starters.

How has the oil price fall hit Scotland's north east? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35300495
Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I thought you moved to Sweden?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't blame me, I left in November.

We've also been 'balanced out', we know one couple and a family of 5 that have recently moved the other way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.