Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Allied Pickfords, any opinions?

Allied Pickfords, any opinions?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allied Pickfords, any opinions?

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Just to update...

Spoke to John Mason today and still have not got a quote. They have estimated that we are going to be taking up 178 cu ft which is more than our estimated 150 cu ft. Trouble was, I did on online form, clicking on each room and adding things you were taking, but did not say anywhere (that I could find) what the size are the cartons were. OH did one too on a different computer, logging in on his name instead after, but she used both to get our final quantity.

No, they do not allow us to do our own packing (what someone else said about customs not liking it and the insurance) and no, she could not tell me the size of a carton, that will all come in a proper written quote.

Then Mason Removers...gave a very rough estimate (I asked for 150 cu ft as think we are going to have to be ruthless with throwing things!!) and they came back with £700-£900. I asked both about costs the other end, (inspection) they estimated around A$100-A$150 for our stuff.

My head is pounding. We probably won't be here when we want the stuff to go, hence the reason we wanted to pack the boxes before. Have noticed others have packed their own things. . Oh dear, I need to read more.

we've just had a quote for £1,850 and we're barely taking any furniture. Think they are taking the p***

We're taking 2 armchairs, 1 bed, 1 dining table and that's it for furniture!

We are taking most of our possessions and lots of quite large original art, but this is still way more than expected.

they didn't put their estimated volume on the quote which I don't like as it makes it hard to see if you are comparing like for like.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hereshoping
we've just had a quote for £1,850 and we're barely taking any furniture. Think they are taking the p***

We're taking 2 armchairs, 1 bed, 1 dining table and that's it for furniture!

We are taking most of our possessions and lots of quite large original art, but this is still way more than expected.

they didn't put their estimated volume on the quote which I don't like as it makes it hard to see if you are comparing like for like.
In terms of furniture we are looking to take:

A three seater sofa
A coffee table
Two lamp tables
A tv
A tv cabinet
A computer (actually no, that's going air freight think, oh, not sure )

Mind gone blank...boxes, quite a few...11 tea chests.

So, yeah, yours does seem quite expensive although if you have insurance for the art then that could possibly bump the price up.

Will be getting more quotes I reckon so I can get a good idea.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

In terms of furniture we are looking to take:

A three seater sofa
A coffee table
Two lamp tables
A tv
A tv cabinet
A computer (actually no, that's going air freight think, oh, not sure )

Mind gone blank...boxes, quite a few...11 tea chests.

So, yeah, yours does seem quite expensive although if you have insurance for the art then that could possibly bump the price up.

Will be getting more quotes I reckon so I can get a good idea.
nope that doesn't include any insurance.

And the art isn't valuable, well only sentimentally. My husband painted it all...

We're getting more quotes, done a few online which have been a third of that price so not sure if we're underestimating our volume or what's going on.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

the4macs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We also have had a quote from Allied Pickfords for a 20ft container they are asking us for £3800 that will be leaving Belfast via England etc.. I think the insurance is very steep they are looking for 3% of the total valuation of all our household items.OH a mechanic so his tool box and tools alone is worth £10000is there a way you can take out your own insurance seperate from the company thats actually shipping it? cause at this rate its going to cost us another £1500 [at least] to insure our container.
I would appreciate anyone that has an opinion on this,as i dont really fancy paying that much to ship our stuff out.

thanks
Andrea
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

I'm not sure about John Masons and their estimates.

We had 4 companies round, 3 of which worked out our effects to be just under or just over a container.

JM worked it out to be another third of a container on top!

When they guy came round he used some kind of palm pilot thingy, all the rest worked it out manually, so I won't use them now because I can't trust their calculations.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sundropstar
I'm not sure about John Masons and their estimates.

We had 4 companies round, 3 of which worked out our effects to be just under or just over a container.

JM worked it out to be another third of a container on top!

When they guy came round he used some kind of palm pilot thingy, all the rest worked it out manually, so I won't use them now because I can't trust their calculations.
Well apparantly allied pickfords think we are taking over 400 cubic foot worth of stuff.

I guess this is because the guy only seemed interested in the big stuff we were taking, whenever I started talking about the small stuff he just went 'oh that'll fit in a box' well yes, but because he woudn't listen to what we were taking i think he just counted our entire personal posessions which is utter rubbish as there is so much stuff we are culling.

I have to say I was impressed with the service they talked about but if they can't get the estimate even vaguely right then we won't be using them.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Just spoke to Crown and they are providing me with a quote online.

Was very impressed by the guy on the other end of the one, he told me things that with the other two I needed to ask although I know the price could be considerably higher.

He also told me the sizes of boxes they use hooray, over the phone the other two, despite asking, wouldn't.

Hereshoping, I agree, they should be listening very carefully to you and the little things are just as important (if not more sometimes, thinking photos etc).

Am presuming then that your husband's paintings are fairly large then?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was very impressed by the guy on the other end of the one, he told me things that with the other two I needed to ask although I know the price could be considerably higher.

He also told me the sizes of boxes they use hooray, over the phone the other two, despite asking, wouldn't.

Hereshoping, I agree, they should be listening very carefully to you and the little things are just as important (if not more sometimes, thinking photos etc).

Yes in future we're going to stress just how much we are cutting out from our current possessions and MAKE them listen.

Some of hubby's paintings are large, biggest is about 3m x 1m I think. But then they are quite slim as it's only canvas.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

We had similar quotes from AP and Crown about the same Crown insurance was 3.6% we opted for Brittania

Malx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
We had similar quotes from AP and Crown about the same Crown insurance was 3.6% we opted for Brittania

Malx
Looking at Crown's price I am really impressed...will look at a few more though. Obviously insurance is on top, but they gave me two sizes quotes as well.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone used Anglo Pacific at all?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Harryhillius is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sundropstar
We had a quote from them too, girl was really thorough, better then the others (we had 4 in total) and the quote was OK £3680 plus fees (that I have to ring and ask her about) for a 20ft container, door to door and packed by them.

I was surprised at the difference in handling fees for putting it all into storage at the other end (from $258 to $586) and the weekly storage costs ($49 to $89 per week).

I may be swayed to use Doree Bonner as they have alot of years under their belt and seem to have good feedback, but they were the most expensive unfortunately and cost does have to factor.
go back to Doree Bonner - they may re quote - its worth a try
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:56 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

just been offered a months free storage with ap and the rep said to get back to him when we have other quotes if there is any difference and he can maybe sort something out!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nevis
anyone used Anglo Pacific at all?

we have also had a quote from anglo pacific so would be interested to know of anyone's experience with them. very helpful over the phone quote, went room by room and they added a bit more than what i estimated as i know my measurements will be way out!! all in all the final quote for 300 cubic feet came in at approx £1500 but think won't have this much stuff once we've done our cull! very professional and friendly person i spoke to, made me feel at ease, spoke to some others on phone and all they said was "go online and get an online quote", not very helpful! personally i don't feel comfortable with just an online quote to ship all my stuff half way across the world!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

DO NOT USE THEM!!!!

They are very unprofessional, not at all helpful and have you running around in circles when problems arise. i have complained about them to their industry ombudsman and from emailing him to him contacting them and them contacting me took 30 mins. I had waited 4 weeks for a reply to our problem before this (Its amazing what a little gentle persuasion from the ombudsman can do). I am now still waiting for them to resolve all the issues and have had no contact for the last week and a half about the damaged goods which happened on route to Australia.

The screen of my computer was wrapped only in 1 sheet of paper, placed in a box, with a pile of books on top! A dining chair leg is snapped as only 1 sheet of bubble wrap was around it and the back of my sofa is caved in. My glass table top again was in 1 sheet of bubble wrap and I'm sure it only survived because I put the original foam packaging that it came in around the edges. My bike should have been in a box but wasn't, we are lucky only the mud guard was damaged. I'm sure we were told dining chairs would be boxed, but they weren't.

My opinion is do not use them.

If anyone else used them for dining chairs, did yours come boxed? Was your bike boxed? Ours weren't and I'm sure we were told they would be, we were shown brochures of how well packed things would be. What a lie that was!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.