Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Originally Posted by Clippies
There seems to be some mystery shrouding carpenter licences, either that or I'm just crap at finding out information

I'm hoping this means all the chippies are far too busy to be posting on here
Why haven't you got your own forum then??
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:45 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be some mystery shrouding carpenter licences, either that or I'm just crap at finding out information

Have you tried the QBSA site?
Most chippies work towards gaining a builders licence to enable them to work as builders. Some companies require the framing chippie to be a licenced builder.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:45 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Why haven't you got your own forum then??
That's what I wanna know!

Obviously, they are just far too busy out there working so don't have time to post on here and therefore they don't require their own forum.

Right? I'm right aren't I? Tell me I'm right...please
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

All I could find was that chippies didn't have to be registered in Victoria unless they want a Contractors Licence to be self employed. If they are working for an employer they need a Red Card which I think is a safety course which is complusory, am I right in thinking this??

Dolly
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Me too I'm afraid (?) to say!! Arrived 11th December in Brisbane and rang a contact from this site on 14th who started me working, on $22/hour, supervised, the following week. Rang Queensland licensing office who said owing to the xmas period it wouldn't be possible to issue permit before the new year, but provided I was supervised by a QLD licensed sparky I could work. Applied to ARTC end Jan and classed as electrical mechanic three weeks later. Got pay-rise as a result to $25/hour. This in addition to van and mobile phone given to me end of Jan. Started at TAFE last Saturday. 12 Saturdays, 8am-4pm costing $1000. Peanuts. To me anyway as was expecting to pay for re-qualification.

I agree the system is ludicrous and the standards here are shocking, no pun intended, but to keep comparing everything to the UK IS CRAZY. Newsflash. This is Australia guys. We emigrated for something different, no? Well, it sure is different. And sunny. And all the girls wear skimpy clothes.

Gonna get another pay-rise when I pass the course. A big one. No-one fails!

Good luck all

Andy
Who is comparing it to the UK ???
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:50 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Have you tried the QBSA site?
Most chippies work towards gaining a builders licence to enable them to work as builders. Some companies require the framing chippie to be a licenced builder.
Ooh right ok, so it would be best for him to go for the Builders Licence then? Also he needs to get a blue card doesn't he? We've seen some jobs and they ask for Blue Card and sometimes ABN - I think ABN is a business number, which I presume he will get after he's got a licence?

The blue card is like a health & safety thing isn't it, similar to the one they have to have to go on site here - actually I found a site where you could do that online from the UK but Dale was dubious as to whether it was the real thing, as he can't see how you can do something like that online as it'd mean anyone could get a blue card because they wouldn't see who was answering the questions
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
All I could find was that chippies didn't have to be registered in Victoria unless they want a Contractors Licence to be self employed. If they are working for an employer they need a Red Card which I think is a safety course which is complusory, am I right in thinking this??

Dolly
Erm..I don't know - I've seen blue card asked for, which is the same sort of thing as the CSCS health and safety card you get here I think.

All the states do differ with licencing though, we were originally looking at Perth and I don't think chippies need a licence there. Could be wrong though it seems a bit fuzzy.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh right ok, so it would be best for him to go for the Builders Licence then? Also he needs to get a blue card doesn't he? We've seen some jobs and they ask for Blue Card and sometimes ABN - I think ABN is a business number, which I presume he will get after he's got a licence?

The blue card is like a health & safety thing isn't it, similar to the one they have to have to go on site here - actually I found a site where you could do that online from the UK but Dale was dubious as to whether it was the real thing, as he can't see how you can do something like that online as it'd mean anyone could get a blue card because they wouldn't see who was answering the questions
Yep anyone could get a blue card! It's one of those never fail type courses, half a day sitting in a classroom or a couple of hours sitting on empty paint cans on a site followed by a quick exam that the course tutor puppy walks you through. Hell you even get to mark your own answer sheet and fill in your own card details. Costs about a hundred bucks but it keeps a tutor in full time work
CSCS is much harder as it's touch screen at the driving test theory place now.
You guys are coming to the Sunny Coast aren't you?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:05 am

Yep anyone could get a blue card! It's one of those never fail type courses, half a day sitting in a classroom or a couple of hours sitting on empty paint cans on a site followed by a quick exam that the course tutor puppy walks you through. Hell you even get to mark your own answer sheet and fill in your own card details. Costs about a hundred bucks but it keeps a tutor in full time work
CSCS is much harder as it's touch screen at the driving test theory place now.
You guys are coming to the Sunny Coast aren't you?
Lol, well this website I saw was something like bluedog - it said you could apply online there and then to get your blue card. Dale was a bit miffed and asked me if I wanted one too seeing as it was so easy
When Dale did his CSCS it was a mouse, now it's touch screen he's quite disappointed people get it so easy these days

Yes I think we are - we were heading to Perth but have decided to go East first instead. We've both got this niggling feeling that we 'need' to go and check it out, so (visa permitting!) we're going to get a flight to Brisbane and take it from there
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

They have a similar thing here in Ireland called a Safe Pass, but you have to attend a one day course. I'm assuming its a similar thing in Australia. Has anyone on here done one?

Dolly
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

That's what I wanna know!

Obviously, they are just far too busy out there working so don't have time to post on here and therefore they don't require their own forum.

Right? I'm right aren't I? Tell me I'm right...please
A busy chippie? Don't make me laugh
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:12 am

When Dale did his CSCS it was a mouse, now it's touch screen he's quite disappointed people get it so easy these days
:
I went for a bobcat card it was a written test. Six months later I went for a teleporter/site forktruck one and it was a mouse. A yr later I did a MEWP licence and it was a really easy touch screen with multi choice answers. I left to come here a couple of weeks later so they've probably been giving them away on cornflake boxes ever since
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pogsy
Who is comparing it to the UK ???
Have you even read this thread? Are you seriously implying that comparisons haven't been made between the way things are done here and in the UK?

Andy
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:14 am

A busy chippie? Don't make me laugh
Oi, stop giving me the fear
I went for a bobcat card it was a written test. Six months later I went for a teleporter/site forktruck one and it was a mouse. A yr later I did a MEWP licence and it was a really easy touch screen with multi choice answers. I left to come here a couple of weeks later so they've probably been giving them away on cornflake boxes ever since
Lol, yep free card with your kellogs
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
They have a similar thing here in Ireland called a Safe Pass, but you have to attend a one day course. I'm assuming its a similar thing in Australia. Has anyone on here done one?

Dolly
If your researching "Blue Cards" make sure the one you look at is the construction industry safety one.
The other
is one for working with children. Both are the same colour blue [don't go there, this is QLD you know] Deb has both and when we were asked last year she produced her kids blue card much to the angst of the H&S inspectorate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.