Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:43 am
Just Joined

cross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to all tradies coming to oz

hello to everyone fairly new to site.been in tassie 4 months now and love the place found slight problem with trade.came here has a plumber found job has a plumber/trade assisant no problem but due to not having licence firms will only pay you bottom dollar.i have since left to work has a fabricator after doing a days course and the pay is 5 to 6 dollars an hour more i find it strange and any plumbers who are coming to oz the plumbing here is so different might take months to adjust for me was like being an apprentice again love to hear your thoughts.cross
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:23 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Its totally crap isnt it, we came here in july 05 i thought my husband would get a job no problem having done the tra but no he had to go to collage and do courses b4 he even started, luckily we had money to see us through or we would have been screwed!!

He has finally got a licence and is sub contracting and an ad in the yellow pages, but there is certain jobs he cant do as his licence restricts him so he has to turn down work which is crazy!!!

We knew he would be making the money he did in the uk but never thought we would struggle so much in the time we have been here things are starting to look up now though at last!!!

Something needs to been done about all the red tape uk tradies have to go through when they get here after all it is suppose to be a country screaming for trades!!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's the same with most if not all trades, you usually have to re-do TRA then take courses and get licences and in the meantime earn next to bugger all

And yes, it's all very different here, my OH is an apprentice electrician and he says even the qualified sparks dig holes and do manual stuff that they just wouldnt do in the UK.

But, no point comparing, at the end of the day you live here now and just have to stick with it - it'll be worth it in the end
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Yep, it's the same with most if not all trades, you usually have to re-do TRA then take courses and get licences and in the meantime earn next to bugger all

And yes, it's all very different here, my OH is an apprentice electrician and he says even the qualified sparks dig holes and do manual stuff that they just wouldnt do in the UK.

But, no point comparing, at the end of the day you live here now and just have to stick with it - it'll be worth it in the end

It's not only UK tradies that have to do all this. If an Aussie lets his licence run out by one day they have to go back to sit the exams as well.

We were really lucky as the SA licences are pretty easy to get, but then we knew that before we came by reading the TRA and licencing sites while waiting for our visa
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's not only UK tradies that have to do all this. If an Aussie lets his licence run out by one day they have to go back to sit the exams as well.
Very true, I heard of one Aussie who's been a spark for 30+ years but his licence lapsed by a few days and he had to do it all again!

Yes, the info on TRA and licences is all on the net
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:58 am

But my point is you get into oz because of the trade you have, what is the point of going through it all again when they have a skills shortage!!

I know this licence fiasco is why alot of brit trades men have returned to the uk not everyone is aware of the amount of red tape you go through when you arrive we never thought that it would be such a hassle to obtain a license.

As far as im aware also there is a hell of alot of tradies working over here without a licence, maybe they should be more aware of that instead of putting trades men with years of experience through all this s**t!!! who are trying to do right thing and getting the license they need

Last edited by kez81; Feb 27th 2007 at 6:02 am.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kez81
But my point is you get into oz because of the trade you have, what is the point of going through it all again when they have a skills shortage!!
You're preaching to the converted.

My OH is a qualified spark, he did his course at night school over 2 1/2 years and cost him £thousands. He just got his qualification a couple of months before we left. If we stayed in the UK he'd be raking it in but we moved here and so he has to be an apprentice and earn less than $15 an hour while they sort out what he needs to do at TAFE and stuff.

Yes, it's a bummer and quite honestly we could do without it but that's how things are done here and we just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Honestly, I think it's all a money making exercise - the government knows trades need licences and to get the licence they have to do certain courses, it's easy cash!

Will send you some calming karma
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by bridie
You're preaching to the converted.

My OH is a qualified spark, he did his course at night school over 2 1/2 years and cost him £thousands. He just got his qualification a couple of months before we left. If we stayed in the UK he'd be raking it in but we moved here and so he has to be an apprentice and earn less than $15 an hour while they sort out what he needs to do at TAFE and stuff.

Yes, it's a bummer and quite honestly we could do without it but that's how things are done here and we just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Honestly, I think it's all a money making exercise - the government knows trades need licences and to get the licence they have to do certain courses, it's easy cash!

Will send you some calming karma
I agree its all a money making by the goverment

he has the license and the business has just started we have got on with it took 18 mths but got there and hopefully things are getting better!!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:05 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree its all a money making by the goverment

he has the license and the business has just started we have got on with it took 18 mths but got there and hopefully things are getting better!!
i understand that you need to be reg - i mean they were/are reg in the Uk with new legislation coming in having to give certs etc for completed work. but the TRA should count as the first step - i mean even tho you pass the TRA u then have to submit everything again to ARTC who may or may not give you a certificate without further training - its send to the same office as the TRA i believe so whats the point ?( at least you don't pay for this now as they did in the past)
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:07 am
Lonely in France

Guideliere is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, can I ask a simple question?

Is licencing only required for sub-contractors / self-employed?

Surely you don't need this for being employed, do you?

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guideliere

Thanks,
Sarah

In some occupations yes you need a licence to be an employee. If you want to set up on your own you'll also need a contractors licence (even more money).

The licence for an electrician is required by the power company in the state you are working. The reason for it is that they want to make sure you are competent enough to wire into their existing power network.

It's a big pain in the backside, but if you find out what you need to do in the state you are moving to before you get here, then it won't be that bad as you will/should be prepared for it which makes less stressful.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:20 am
Lonely in France

Guideliere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Wendy,

OH is carpenter/joiner, been self-employed in UK for 15 years but hoping to be employed in Oz.

Where do I find out if a licence is needed for him, say, in Victoria?

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy,

OH is carpenter/joiner, been self-employed in UK for 15 years but hoping to be employed in Oz.

Where do I find out if a licence is needed for him, say, in Victoria?

Thanks,
Sarah

This link tells you who to contact for each state for licencing, registration etc. Just find the relevant one and e-mail them. http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...onContacts.htm
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:35 am

Thanks,
Sarah
Yeh thats right but the money you make working in a company isnt that great to earn a deciet wage you really need toi subby or go self employed.

Its different in different states my hubby need reg to work for a company in melbourne, hence why he didnt work straight away its different here in perth though!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:55 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh thats right but the money you make working in a company isnt that great to earn a deciet wage you really need toi subby or go self employed.

Its different in different states my hubby need reg to work for a company in melbourne, hence why he didnt work straight away its different here in perth though!
this is all very depressing reading.
ive heard so much info my oh is plumber and gasfitter is there no way of finding out wether its a simple test or short course and exam to pass at end or is it definitely a long term process to get your license were going to queensland any idea what the prospects there are like for trade license.
was hoping it would only take couple of months am i dreaming
lesley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.