Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those bitching about Perth

For all those bitching about Perth

Old May 3rd 2006, 11:56 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: For all those bitching about Perth

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Any ideas of where you will go?

Melbourne's top of the list just now, but as you know i am not the most decisive person in the world
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think he said about 6 months but it may be more than that.

I think everyone is entitled to like/dislike where they live.

Worzel is just happy with where he lives and is telling people.

Its true, loads of people have slagged off Perth, and its nice to hear something positive about it.

only a question, dont be defensive.

Just great to see someon enjoying themselves..........
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
There seems to be a lot of bitching about Perth on here at the moment. Either property is too expensive, it is too quiet, too remote, too many flies.

Feel free to read all the posts, good and bad. Maybe try a visit. Make up your own minds. Maybe you live here already and don't like it.

I just want to say I LOVE IT here.

Our house cost $150K less than the one we sold in the UK and is now on one level with large pool, in a great location and it takes no longer to get to work than it did in the UK. We have a 700 metres square plot in Carramar by the way (not 300).

I have more mates than I did in the UK.

People are happier and friendlier than elsewhere in Aus IMHO.

I get on well with people at work and find the "can-do" attititude fantastic which means I am getting on well. I play golf / tennis with them, go for regular beers and will probably watch the derby on Saturday with a load of them.

Trains / roads are quieter more reliable.

My wife loves it and my daugther doesn't want to go back. She does loads more than in the UK.

After 6 months+ we do stuff every weekend and never the same thing twice.

With the exception of U2, every major band comes here.

There are more sports / arts / events than my nearest major city in the UK.

So...If you don't like it then bugger off somewhere else. Whinging Poms
Absolutely agree, PERTH is beautiful i must say. Everything you say , i agree.
So why are we in Bunbury, well hubby had a job to come to.
But i could live any place in WA , well the places i have been to.
But nobody hears about the very beautiful south west. Which is a shame.
We love it hear also, and so do our kids.
DENISE
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cranni
Absolutely agree, PERTH is beautiful i must say. Everything you say , i agree.
So why are we in Bunbury, well hubby had a job to come to.
But i could live any place in WA , well the places i have been to.
But nobody hears about the very beautiful south west. Which is a shame.
We love it hear also, and so do our kids.
DENISE
oi, best keep quiet to keep the SW quiet.

no shame
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:08 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Big up Perth from me too
Only been here 4 months but been here before and loved it then , love it now
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh here we go again eh? Another "I love Perth" post and all the 'pro-Perthies" (many of whom haven't even stepped foot in the place) come out and slap the OP on the back for telling all the "Anti Perthies" to shape up or ship out!

Bloody bully for you that you love it here so much. That's fantastic, it really is. You're very lucky. But instead of having a slag at those of us who aren't that fussed by this place, and are stuck here because it's not so damn simple to just turn around and go back (contrary to popular belief) I really object to being labelled as a whinging pom just because I express a valid opinion?.

Why don't you, Worzel, think about just how other people may feel, and their circumstances that keep them here, before you label them?

No doubt, I will have abuse hurled at me now from every angle...........bring it on, I'm in a fighting mood!
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

teetoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh here we go again eh? Another "I love Perth" post and all the 'pro-Perthies" (many of whom haven't even stepped foot in the place) come out and slap the OP on the back for telling all the "Anti Perthies" to shape up or ship out!

Bloody bully for you that you love it here so much. That's fantastic, it really is. You're very lucky. But instead of having a slag at those of us who aren't that fussed by this place, and are stuck here because it's not so damn simple to just turn around and go back (contrary to popular belief) I really object to being labelled as a whinging pom just because I express a valid opinion?.

Why don't you, Worzel, think about just how other people may feel, and their circumstances that keep them here, before you label them?

No doubt, I will have abuse hurled at me now from every angle...........bring it on, I'm in a fighting mood!

Oh Get a GRIP!!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Now is there any need for this post...

The OP is stating the fact he is happy and settling in well, full of positive spirit.

Good on him and his family, I say.

Perth or even OZ is not for everyone as is often mentioned on this forum.

Fight your mood first.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know how long ago you went out there or what your circumstances were but surely there was a time when you were optimistic about your future plans in Oz. If so try to think back and spare a thought for those of us who are looking forward to the possibility of a better future for ourselves. It may not live up to our expectations but leave us with our rose coloured spectacles for now PLEASE!!! It is great to hear some positive stories and know that for some people things have worked out for the best. It's good to get a realistic view of emigration including but I don't understand why it's so important to some people to stamp on the hopes and dreams of others???
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
There seems to be a lot of bitching about Perth on here at the moment. Either property is too expensive, it is too quiet, too remote, too many flies.

Feel free to read all the posts, good and bad. Maybe try a visit. Make up your own minds. Maybe you live here already and don't like it.

I just want to say I LOVE IT here.

Our house cost $150K less than the one we sold in the UK and is now on one level with large pool, in a great location and it takes no longer to get to work than it did in the UK. We have a 700 metres square plot in Carramar by the way (not 300).

I have more mates than I did in the UK.

People are happier and friendlier than elsewhere in Aus IMHO.

I get on well with people at work and find the "can-do" attititude fantastic which means I am getting on well. I play golf / tennis with them, go for regular beers and will probably watch the derby on Saturday with a load of them.

Trains / roads are quieter more reliable.

My wife loves it and my daugther doesn't want to go back. She does loads more than in the UK.

After 6 months+ we do stuff every weekend and never the same thing twice.

With the exception of U2, every major band comes here.

There are more sports / arts / events than my nearest major city in the UK.

So...If you don't like it then bugger off somewhere else. Whinging Poms
Well said Worzel & about time too. I can't believe some of the bollox that is written about this place & that people who have never been here listen to it.

In December we bought a 4x2 double story with a cathederal ceiling, a master bedroom that has nearly the same floor area as our ground floor in England & a pool on 1/2 an acre for less than we sold our tiny (but nice) 3x1 in the UK. We get Kangaroos, Bandicoots, Parrots & Lizards in the Garden. Kalamunda is a great place.
It takes me 30 minutes to get to work & 45 to get home.
I have a 4x4 that I actually use to go offroading, its a great hobby.
I earn nearly as much as I did in the UK & am probably considered a high income earner.
My skills are so in demand here it's frightening. I have never known a job market to be so good.
Perth is booming & thriving & at the moment is 'carrying' much of the east coast, hence the interest rate rise today.
My 3yo son is thriving & I can only see a great future for him here.
We are slowly building up a social life, we have both expat & Aussie friends.
Perth's supposed 'isolation' is a state of mind, we live in a wired, jet age. Only boring people find it boring here. There is plenty to do.

I think Perth is the best place in Australia, it's much, much better than Brisbane/SE Qld, & one of the best places in the world. The only other place that I would live in Australia would be country Victoria.
I love it here & only see a prosperous, secure & enjoyable future for myself & my family.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by teetoc
Oh Get a GRIP!!!!
There's the first
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well said Worzel & about time too. I can't believe some of the bollox that is written about this place & that people who have never been here listen to it.

In December we bought a 4x2 double story with a cathederal ceiling, a master bedroom that has nearly the same floor area as our ground floor in England & a pool on 1/2 an acre for less than we sold our tiny (but nice) 3x1 in the UK. We get Kangaroos, Bandicoots, Parrots & Lizards in the Garden. Kalamunda is a great place.
It takes me 30 minutes to get to work & 45 to get home.
I have a 4x4 that I actually use to go offroading, its a great hobby.
I earn nearly as much as I did in the UK & am probably considered a high income earner.
My skills are so in demand here it's frightening. I have never known a job market to be so good.
Perth is booming & thriving & at the moment is 'carrying' much of the east coast, hence the interest rate rise today.
My 3yo son is thriving & I can only see a great future for him here.
We are slowly building up a social life, we have both expat & Aussie friends.
Perth's supposed 'isolation' is a state of mind, we live in a wired, jet age. Only boring people find it boring here. There is plenty to do.

I think Perth is the best place in Australia, it's much, much better than Brisbane/SE Qld, & one of the best places in the world. The only other place that I would live in Australia would be country Victoria.
I love it here & only see a prosperous, secure & enjoyable future for myself & my family.

Pro perth
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Now is there any need for this post...

The OP is stating the fact he is happy and settling in well, full of positive spirit.

Good on him and his family, I say.

Perth or even OZ is not for everyone as is often mentioned on this forum.

Fight your mood first.
Yes, good on him. I don't begrudge him a minute of his happiness. What does get my goat is all the slagging off folk who aren't so happy here get.

When one of us so called "whinging poms" come onto this forum and throws some negative facts into the equation, we are usually slated and told to p**s off.

It just amazes me that positivity is welcomed, negativity or disappointment is ridiculed.

Me thinks rosey coloured specs play a huge role to those who haven't made the leap of faith yet.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like it, leave, it really is that simple.

You are a whinging pom.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, good on him. I don't begrudge him a minute of his happiness. What does get my goat is all the slagging off folk who aren't so happy here get.

When one of us so called "whinging poms" come onto this forum and throws some negative facts into the equation, we are usually slated and told to p**s off.

It just amazes me that positivity is welcomed, negativity or disappointment is ridiculed.

Me thinks rosey coloured specs play a huge role to those who haven't made the leap of faith yet.

Unfortunately, for the rose coloured specs, they have a habit of being 2 pairs over time.

a love hate relationship

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.