Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All Th Info You Need Part 2

All Th Info You Need Part 2

Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default All Th Info You Need Part 2

1ST TIME HOMEBUYERS

Does anyone know if its still possible to get the $7000 dollar first time home Hi,

The short answer is yes the A$7000 is still available to first time home buyers, for full details have a look at this website:

www.firsthome.gov.au
buyer grant

WHO YOU ARE TO INFORM YOU ARE LEAVING

......somthing that really is worth doing is telling your tax office that you do not intend to return (in this financial year at least).

You will most probably be due a pretty large tax rebate if you ask for it.

Say you only worked for 6 months of the financial year (from april). The IR will have been taxing you assuming that you would be around for the full 12 months. Tax is basically worked out from your final expected salary, and divided by 12.

KEEPING IN CONTACT WITH A WEBCAM

I would avoid netmeeting if i were you....its generally lot of hassle to get working and pants once your there (i have found anyway)

2 options for you.

If you have XP and the person u are talking to has XP u can use windows messenger. Works a treat and is really easy. My favorite of the options.

Or....if one of you does'nt use XP, i would reccomend yahoo messesnger for webcam use. Not too good in general though, other than for the webcams.

One thing.....expect it to be pretty slow (but DEFINATLY still worth doing and good fun) unless both ends are on broadband.
http://messenger.yahoo.com/
www.paltalk.com There are also voice chat groups on here so you can chat to some real aussies
R
ENTAL HOME WEBSITE
www.rent-a-home.com.au

DRIVING IN QLD
I emailed QLD transport and they have told me the following (incase anyone else is in same 'boat' )

1. Upon arrival can drive on UK license for 3months.
2. Change over after 3 months to QLD license
- take passport / proof of residing in QLD
3. Take written test comprising of 30 questions
- Costs $15 (how cheap)
- No need to book it - just walk into office!
- book available 'Your keys to driving in Queensland'
- Book costs $9.75 (i think)!
MOBILE PHONES
We brought our Nokia 3210`s out here - just bought some Optus pre-paid vouchers - both work fine...

DON`T LEAVE YOUR PHONES BEHIND - they cost a fortune here!!!

Don`t go with Telstra - they`ll try and sign you up to a yearly contract, and there`s really no need. Our UK phones work fine on the Optus system

EMPLOYMENT AGENICES

Employment Services – Brisbane

ADECCO
www.adecco.com.au

Kelly Services
www.kellyservices.com.au

Sarina Russo
www.sarinarusso.com.au

Hays
www.hays.com.au

Brook Street
www.brookstreet.com.au

Recruitment Solutions
www.recruitment-solutions.com.au

Sunshine Coast

Dove Personnel
Nambour
www.ozemail.com.au/~dovnambo

East Coast HR
Maroochydore
e-mail: [email protected]

Steps Recruitment
Caloundra
Ph 5491 7511
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/
Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

ahh, here it is!
Thanks once again, i'm off to read it all properly now
Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

You are all very welcome, at the end of the day this is part of the site, to help isn't it.

If you can copy it int word then split page into 2 when printing saving paper and so you can take it with you
Old Aug 9th 2003, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Carrieanne - good stuff esp about the first time homebuyers money - I asked the Bloke to find out ages ago, as he's there, but he's never done it!
Old Aug 9th 2003, 11:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All Th Info You Need Part 2

[

LEAVE YOUR PHONES BEHIND - they cost a fortune here!!!

Don`t go with Telstra - they`ll try and sign you up to a yearly contract, and there`s really no need. Our UK phones work fine on the Optus system
What you have neglected to tell every one here is that, outside of the major cities,its only TELSTRA that have any decent coverage,so alot of other companys phones are useless.....and CDMA phones are a better option..........

MM
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Mr Mover I don't think I have neglected anything this is an amalgamation of other people's useful threads and posts. Any comments are greatly received.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All you need to know

Thanks Carrianne

your post was really helpful! We are arriving in Brisbane in 7 weeks (yikes!) and were going to get rid of our Nokia phones before we went - we'll certainly keep them now!

One thing I would add is that if you have a valid student visa, you are able to drive for an indefinite period of time if your licence:

Is in English or
Is accompanied by a certified English translation

Not sure there are many people on this forum going on a student visa (except me - 4 year temporary to start with) but I thought it was worth a mention just in case!

Cheers
Rachel
Old Aug 10th 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Carrianne

this is the sort of stuff we want on this site, helpful advice, deciding to take majority of gear now, container getting bigger by the minute!!!

Teresa
Old Aug 10th 2003, 11:31 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All you need to know

Yes, we retained our mobile phones when we moved to Australia, and are signed up on SIM only options with Vodafone.

I have also retained my UK Vodafone SIM card, but that's because I'm back in the UK fairly regularly and it helps to retain the same UK mobile number.

I'd include AAPT (with the delectable Effie's picture ... "Hello - Good Thanks" ...) when reviewing your options:
http://www.aaptmobile.com.au/cellone/home/index.jsp

Best regards.

Originally posted by rachels
Thanks Carrianne

your post was really helpful! We are arriving in Brisbane in 7 weeks (yikes!) and were going to get rid of our Nokia phones before we went - we'll certainly keep them now!

One thing I would add is that if you have a valid student visa, you are able to drive for an indefinite period of time if your licence:

Is in English or
Is accompanied by a certified English translation

Not sure there are many people on this forum going on a student visa (except me - 4 year temporary to start with) but I thought it was worth a mention just in case!

Cheers
Rachel
Old Aug 10th 2003, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All the info

Hi Alan

Thanks for the link. I hadn't even considered keeping my mobile, just assumed I'd have to buy a new one when I got there. Great to know I can keep my number too!

Cheers
Rachel
Old Oct 11th 2003, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bounce to top for Tina J X
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:36 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Carrianne
bounce to top for Tina J X
Bounce
Old Jan 24th 2004, 8:09 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a little rubber post
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:03 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

bump
Old May 14th 2004, 2:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bouncing an ever useful thread to the top for the "newbies" (Part 2!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.