Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it all about Location? Or am I being silly?

Is it all about Location? Or am I being silly?

Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it all about Location? Or am I being silly?

All very useful feedback, thank you.

If we rented our house we could probably get $450-$470 per week for it. To rent in Subi we'd probably be looking at $500-$600 per week, so a bit of a discrepancy.... But workable if we sit down and work it all out.

I think I'd rather sell and buy in Subi, but we'd have to wait 6 months to do that, have to save up to pay the stamp duty!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Actually it's more to do with who you are and how you think.

If you are "I want to be in the centre of things, with lots going on" then obviously a small place in the city is going to work best. However for many, as you get older, things shift and all those 'things going on' become 'been there, done that, boring' - and you get sick of the noise, pollution, arseholes, etc.

In the end it's probably most related to your personality type, extrovert and needing people around vs introvert and needing personal space.

The op sounds as if they are on the cusp of a shift to "want kids, family, etc", but still feel they don't want to give up on being 'young'. As such they are probably best off in a more central, titchy, place until they actually have a kid and have grown sick of the allure of town. The suburbs will still be there (although probably further out) and getting one with some transport to the city is perfectly possible.

I might also rent rather than buy and see how the Perth housing market shakes out with the downturn in mining and FIFO. It's appreciated at silly rate over previous years, and looks very like a bubble.
Also depends on the city or area I imagine. In Brisbane you can live very close to the city without compromising much on peace, nature, family life, noise etc. Can have a nice balance of both worlds and in some ways seems more family friendly than further out.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolac34
Yes we have, and you are right. To be honest we still aren't "there" with children, or even convinced that we actually want them.... I think we do but they seem to change your life so dramatically and that scares us!
We decided no kids long ago. No regrets and live in Leederville. Wouldn't do suburbia as it would bore me senseless.

Even the inner city has its limitations, and can't begin to compare it with London, but at least can walk to drink a coffee, eat out, do shopping and walk to the centre of Perth inside half an hour.

Prices have gone up at least 250% since we bought in 2000 and doubt whether would have paid todays prices. In fact doubt very much if would have decided on Perth.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:30 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Location is definitely a big part of it. We were in Glebe in Sydney which we loved but the rent was too much, we weren't saving anything so we moved to Jannali, near Sutherland. The house is lovely, far cheaper but there's absolutely **** ALL in Jannali. There's not even a chemist open after midday on Saturday, everything is closed on Sunday. Luckily we're not far from Sutherland where there's a bit more going on but i really miss being able to walk to the markets in Glebe, having every kind of food you could possibly want on your doorstep. We're planning on spending some time in Singapore but when/if we return to Sydney we've learned a valuable lesson about location.

Also, we were adamant we wanted a house, not a flat, for the outside space etc. We have a large deck we rarely use and the only real advantage is having somewhere to hang the washing!! So we've scrapped that theory now too...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Actually it's more to do with who you are and how you think.

If you are "I want to be in the centre of things, with lots going on" then obviously a small place in the city is going to work best. However for many, as you get older, things shift and all those 'things going on' become 'been there, done that, boring' - and you get sick of the noise, pollution, arseholes, etc.

In the end it's probably most related to your personality type, extrovert and needing people around vs introvert and needing personal space.

The op sounds as if they are on the cusp of a shift to "want kids, family, etc", but still feel they don't want to give up on being 'young'. As such they are probably best off in a more central, titchy, place until they actually have a kid and have grown sick of the allure of town. The suburbs will still be there (although probably further out) and getting one with some transport to the city is perfectly possible.

I might also rent rather than buy and see how the Perth housing market shakes out with the downturn in mining and FIFO. It's appreciated at silly rate over previous years, and looks very like a bubble.
Of course...this is what I, and other people are saying. Assuming that there is some sort of relationship between circumstance and housing too, naturally. If you are on that cusp though - and then kids don't come.. you might wonder if it was the right idea....and here people are suggesting people might move to the suburbs once the patter of feet are on the way.

Personally, I don't buy into all this the suburbs are great - no noise, no pollution.
It's one thing living in a nice village with scenery and real space, but to me the suburbs - especially outer ones does not necessarily give you anything but n no of rooms. If I had to choose between a small house in the inner city and a big house in the outer burbs I would go for the smaller house. As it happens I can't afford the inner burbs so don't mind a small house on an acre- but then it's in a village environment in a community so it makes it worth it. My view is that there is no point in moving to the suburbs just to get n no of rooms and a slightly bigger yard at the expense of a whole swag of things which you can't necessarily define.