Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airport customs in Australia

Airport customs in Australia

Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:28 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport customs in Australia

Originally Posted by roxyinitalia
Hi everyone, just would like an idea of how strict the customs officers are in Australia. I would like to carry a few things like pre-packaged spices, tea and of course we can't leave Italy without bringing some nutella....lol.
I was also reading the strict restrictions on "general goods" i.e. electronics.
Your experiences and comments are appreciated.

Ciao
Airport customs. Strict, think dogs, fines, moustaches, rubber gloves and lubricant.

Nutella might not be the only chocolate spread. Capiche?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
you can get all of that stuff there. Why bother bringing it in and risking a fine?
You only get fined if you don't declare it. If it's declared, the worst that can happen is its confiscated.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Airport customs. Strict, think dogs, fines, moustaches, rubber gloves and lubricant.

Nutella might not be the only chocolate spread. Capiche?
Tried to send K, but have to spread first. Hazelnut spread perhaps?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We declared an ornamental wooden apple, but it had a clove studded into the bottom of it, that got scraped out. I think spices might be a problem, but as other posters have said, declare everything, some will be confiscated, some will not but at the end of the day Australia is protected so it's all good.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:39 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I know you've already had plenty of helpful answers, but I'd like to say my bit too.

Australian customs will often make you think you're entering the USSR!!

I go in and out of Australia a number of times a year, and arriving is never something I enjoy.

I make sure I have NO food, no wooden items, no plant products, and no souvenirs that look even slightly suspicious - even if they aren't.

I have seen people fined for having an apple they forgot about. I have seen people have all their luggage pulled apart and inspected because they had something as small as a keyring made out of wood.

We have a very popular reality show here - 'Border Security' - where they go and film people getting in trouble at customs.

I don't think people overseas get just how strict Australian customs can be. I've explained it to more than one visitor, and they only understand when they experience it. You get a double-sided card to fill out when you arrive, and the questions are fairly specific.

Generally you will be allowed to bring in tinned goods, but you still must declare ANYTHING edible.

That said, the last two times I have arrived in Australia I have been fast-tracked through customs. I don't know if this is only done for Australian citizens (who don't look dodgy!!), but you just never know what to expect.

If you really want to have particular foods, I would recommend posting them. Then if customs decides they are not allowed they will simply be confiscated, and you won't risk a scene at the airport!!

It might all be fine, but you just never know what to expect!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:41 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Tried to send K, but have to spread first. Hazelnut spread perhaps?
Maybe even corn relish.

Thanks for the karma thoughts!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:36 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
IIf you really want to have particular foods, I would recommend posting them. Then if customs decides they are not allowed they will simply be confiscated, and you won't risk a scene at the airport!!
To Roxy (the original poster),

there will be no scene at the airport as long as you tick the landing card in the right places and declare everything. As someone said: making a list is a good idea.

The people in trouble on that TV programme "Border Security" are always people who haven't declared their food. And then offer lame excuses such as I thought because it was packaged it was o.k. when the landing card clearly says that all food even dried food has to be declared.

People who have declared stuff sometimes have it confiscated because it isn't allowed into the country. And if items aren't packaged, customs can't see the list of ingredients and may confiscate it for that reason. But there is no fine and no scene, because it was declared.

Gina
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:06 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
To Roxy (the original poster),

there will be no scene at the airport as long as you tick the landing card in the right places and declare everything. As someone said: making a list is a good idea.

The people in trouble on that TV programme "Border Security" are always people who haven't declared their food. And then offer lame excuses such as I thought because it was packaged it was o.k. when the landing card clearly says that all food even dried food has to be declared.

People who have declared stuff sometimes have it confiscated because it isn't allowed into the country. And if items aren't packaged, customs can't see the list of ingredients and may confiscate it for that reason. But there is no fine and no scene, because it was declared.

Gina
They are awful here - expecially in Perth and are very anal. It takes an age to get through . I was waiting for around 2 hours for my parents last time because they had over 10 packets of olives. They only got let through becuse there was no pips.

A few months ago they took it upon themselves to attempt to charge me for my fiancee engagement ring we bought abroad too as we werent a couple leaving, but were arriving as!

Welcome to the 3rd Reich.

Last edited by mark213; Aug 28th 2008 at 3:10 am.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
They are awful here - expecially in Perth and are very anal. It takes an age to get through . I was waiting for around 2 hours for my parents last time because they had over 10 packets of olives. They only got let through becuse there was no pips.

A few months ago they took it upon themselves to attempt to charge me for my fiancee engagement ring we bought abroad too as we werent a couple leaving, but were arriving as!

Never had a problem in Brisbane. Quicker to declare than not declare, and the only hold up is the length of the queue itself. Biggest problem I've had with the fooditself was when the kids had given me some Flying Saucers (the rice paper sweets with the sherbet in) and the AQIS guy had never seen them before
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
I have seen people fined for having an apple they forgot about. I have seen people have all their luggage pulled apart and inspected because they had something as small as a keyring made out of wood.

That said, the last two times I have arrived in Australia I have been fast-tracked through customs. I don't know if this is only done for Australian citizens (who don't look dodgy!!), but you just never know what to expect.

My DS got fined for an apple he had put into his workbag for lunch and then forgotten that he had it in there when he arrived, having come straight from work. They said $220 but he only had a credit card and they only take cash so they let him through with a bit of finger wagging - it was an Aussie Pink Lady too!!!!

I got fast tracked this time I came back too - must be my sweet angelic look
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:20 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We've got fast-tracked the last few times we've come into Sydney, and we're on a Temp Visa. When we moved I declared herbal teabags, but the guy said they were fine (without looking) and let us through.

As others have said, just declare everything and be prepared to lose some of it.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213

There are genuine reasons why they are like this. Many things that have been introduced in to Australia have had a devestating affect on the flaura and fauna.

I'm glad that they are really strict.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
My DS got fined for an apple he had put into his workbag for lunch and then forgotten that he had it in there when he arrived, having come straight from work. They said $220 but he only had a credit card and they only take cash so they let him through with a bit of finger wagging - it was an Aussie Pink Lady too!!!!

I got fast tracked this time I came back too - must be my sweet angelic look
Not so sure about the cash only fines. May be that's because of
the airport the person flew into but I have seen some TV show
(Border Security - sometimes can be hilarious with what people
think they can get into AU), this couple was fined 550$+$300
customs on non declared ciggi's and they had to pay that fine
on 3 credit cards as there were not sufficient funds. SO definitely
can't get away with the reasoning "NO CASH"....
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Not so sure about the cash only fines. May be that's because of
the airport the person flew into but I have seen some TV show
(Border Security - sometimes can be hilarious with what people
think they can get into AU), this couple was fined 550$+$300
customs on non declared ciggi's and they had to pay that fine
on 3 credit cards as there were not sufficient funds. SO definitely
can't get away with the reasoning "NO CASH"....
That's what they told him - I think they may have been stringing him along though and making him sweat over his Pink Lady! Poor lad was mightily embarrassed.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:48 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Can you get Walkers crisps over there? If not, will customs let them through?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.