Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airport customs in Australia

Airport customs in Australia

Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airport customs in Australia

Hi everyone, just would like an idea of how strict the customs officers are in Australia. I would like to carry a few things like pre-packaged spices, tea and of course we can't leave Italy without bringing some nutella....lol.
I was also reading the strict restrictions on "general goods" i.e. electronics.
Your experiences and comments are appreciated.

Ciao
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:04 am
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Airport customs in Australia

Hi,
My friend works at Sydney Airport for quarantine and I know they are very strict on what they allow you to take into the country. If it's in the 'allowed' list you will be fine, if it's 'not allowed' there is a big chance it will be confiscated!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:06 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roxyinitalia
Hi everyone, just would like an idea of how strict the customs officers are in Australia. I would like to carry a few things like pre-packaged spices, tea and of course we can't leave Italy without bringing some nutella....lol.
I was also reading the strict restrictions on "general goods" i.e. electronics.
Your experiences and comments are appreciated.

Ciao
you can get all of that stuff there. Why bother bringing it in and risking a fine?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:08 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would check first to see if you are allowed to bring any of those items.

We've flown into Australia 3 times now and each time we have seen the dogs walking around the airport sniffing bags for food and other things. This has happened to us everytime we are standing there collecting our luggage.

The last time we flew in (about a week ago) the dogs sniffed us as usual, but this time they stopped to search the back pack I was carrying. There was actually no food in it at the time, but since it was the diaper bag I carry for the kids there would normally be snacks in there. The dogs have good noses for food so I wouldn't try and get past them! They did also ask for the card where I would have declared food items.

I'm going to guess that if you declare it when you arrive they will either say no problem or make you throw it out. If you don't declare it and you get caught then there would be trouble.

Anyhow.... I would have a quick read through this site as it will tell you what you can and can't bring.

http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/travel/...alia/cant-take

Last edited by comet555; Aug 27th 2008 at 8:10 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
you can get all of that stuff there. Why bother bringing it in and risking a fine?
Whatever you take, declare it i.e. tick yes to having food on your landing card. Most prepacked stuff is ok as long as there are no meat or live plant products. Just use a bit of common sense and as someone has already said the stuff you want to take is available here.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Is it easy to find caribbean spices in Brisbane? i.e. curry, jerk seasoning etc.
I don't know if my MIL will use those spices with her pasta if I was to leave them here in Italy....lol
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:24 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by "strict"?

As long as you declare on your landing card that you have brought food with you and as long as it isn't meat, eggs, and other non-allowed things you'll be fine.

If you are asking if you can smuggle stuff in: You'd be really stupid to try! As well as having dogs sniff your luggage, all bags coming into the country are x-rayed. Organic substances show up on the x-ray. They then take your luggage apart. You'll be fined, you'll have your passport/visa numbers entered into the system so that next time you enter the country they can pull you out of the queue and take your stuff apart, etc etc. Like I said, you'd have to be really stupid to try that.

The rules are actually there for good reason.

As for bringing Nutella into the country: as long as you declare it that's fine. But you can also buy Nutella in every supermaket. Our local Wollies has two shelves full of it - different size jars.

Gina
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Not sure what you mean by "strict"?

As long as you declare on your landing card that you have brought food with you and as long as it isn't meat, eggs, and other non-allowed things you'll be fine.

If you are asking if you can smuggle stuff in: You'd be really stupid to try! As well as having dogs sniff your luggage, all bags coming into the country are x-rayed. Organic substances show up on the x-ray. They then take your luggage apart. You'll be fined, you'll have your passport/visa numbers entered into the system so that next time you enter the country they can pull you out of the queue and take your stuff apart, etc etc. Like I said, you'd have to be really stupid to try that.

The rules are actually there for good reason.

As for bringing Nutella into the country: as long as you declare it that's fine. But you can also buy Nutella in every supermaket. Our local Wollies has two shelves full of it - different size jars.

Gina
wasn't thinking of smuggling anything in and have all intentions of declaring "food".

thanks
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants
Whatever you take, declare it i.e. tick yes to having food on your landing card. Most prepacked stuff is ok as long as there are no meat or live plant products. Just use a bit of common sense and as someone has already said the stuff you want to take is available here.
Spot on - they are friendly and jsut want to ensure you declare everything that you need too...

'strict' ..what do you mean...its not that they can leave stuff at their will...its either allowed or not...

Also, nutella - ? Man AU got it all !!! but I spices and all that ..make sure they are declared and allowed before bothering to pack them....
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

As said above, just declare everything, and on the plus side its usually quicker getting though the declare line lol
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popeye
As said above, just declare everything, and on the plus side its usually quicker getting though the declare line lol
Good idea to make a list too, then you look organised, and look as if you are aware of the rules. I can never remember everything so I just have a bit of paper with me to hand over
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Good idea to make a list too, then you look organised, and look as if you are aware of the rules. I can never remember everything so I just have a bit of paper with me to hand over
Lol - exactly what I do. When I travel home my parents (back home) usually do the packing and I have no clue where everything is. So my mum makes a list of items and sticks in inside of every bag and I just read it and photo copy before I go to check in.......

I agree with the OP sometimes its just the emotions that one gets all those spices etc...but just make a list and say to the officer - here you go check ur life away......

They are very friendly and want to ensure correct stuff is let in.....
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

thanks all for the responses. I will start making my list
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxyinitalia
thanks all for the responses. I will start making my list
You can get all those things you are asking about here, though. Especially in the larger cities. Nutella? We buy it every grocery shop. Spices? There are dozens of shops selling spices of all ilk.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

DH just had some stuff confiscated - be careful with spices which are seeds for example. If you bring seeds, be sure to have their botanical name on the label. There is more difficulty with things which are not sealed. Forget it if you want to bring in meat products, fruit and veg. DH lost a few packets of tomato seeds because they didnt have the botanical name whereas the other packets he was allowed to bring in. He also lost the liquorice root because it wasnt in a sealed pack (I think that is what he said). It took him about 45 minutes to get through quarantine!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.