Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AIRASIA TO THE UK FROM PERTH ??? ECONOMY ? PREMIUM?

AIRASIA TO THE UK FROM PERTH ??? ECONOMY ? PREMIUM?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default AIRASIA TO THE UK FROM PERTH ??? ECONOMY ? PREMIUM?

Hi

I would love to hear from anybody who has flew with AIRASIA long haul to the UK !
I am looking at travelling with our daughter, I usually fly Emirates but it's so pricey at the moment. I know you usually pay for what you get but if anyone can shed any light on the service, seats,entertainment etc ?
Has anyone ever flew and reserved a premium flat bed ?
Any help or tips would be appreciated
Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

lorac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AIRASIA TO THE UK FROM PERTH ??? ECONOMY ? PREMIUM?

no idea on the premium seat, but tonight there will be sales for AAX flights which include UK..for the travel period of Oct and Nov..
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

ssssshhhhhhhh - don't tell everyone!!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:37 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi

I would love to hear from anybody who has flew with AIRASIA long haul to the UK !
I am looking at travelling with our daughter, I usually fly Emirates but it's so pricey at the moment. I know you usually pay for what you get but if anyone can shed any light on the service, seats,entertainment etc ?
Thanks
We have just recently had 4 x flights with Air Asia and they were great. (Not long haul)

My friend is in the UK now and flew with the flat bed seats, though I don't think there is much saving, once you have paid for the extra luggage, food etc. The little bit extra you pay for Emirates may be worth it when you take into account you need to fly to KL on a separate ticket, collect your luggage and re check in for the UK leg.

Might require a stop over to allow for delays? I know when we flew recently, the take off was delayed in Perth due to fog and a large number of people were going to miss the onward flight to the UK.

They are cheap though $417 each way from KL to Stanstead.

London • Kuala Lumpur • Mumbai • New Delhi
Chengdu • Hangzhou (Shanghai) • Tianjin (Beijing) • Taipei
Dreaming of flying long-haul? Well dream no more! We're giving out FREE SEATS on
AAX flights this 9 June 2010. But get ready as it only happens for 48 hours!
Plan out & book where to fly, today!
Book from 9 - 10 Jun 2010 or until seats sold out | Travel from 11 Oct - 14 Nov 2010

Last edited by h2oskineil; Jun 8th 2010 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
ssssshhhhhhhh - don't tell everyone!!
HA HA .... NO SECRET. I'm on their mailing list too hence my question. ;0)
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

wow 5 question marks in the title, I wonder if that could be a new record!.

Have you tried singapore airlines I have always found them to excellent

oh heres a few ??? ????? ???? ???? ????? for you, I know you like them a lot
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Having flown Singapore Airlines, Royal Brunei, Qantas/BA and Emirates I'd choose Singapore Airlines over the rest. Value for money though you can't go wrong with Royal Brunei.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Is there anything to see if you stopped in KL for a few days, does anyone know?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quercus
Is there anything to see if you stopped in KL for a few days, does anyone know?
It's a great city - loads to see and do and compares to Australia, cheap.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

If you can hold out until Oct/Nov it may be cheaper than you think..

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/26684
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
If you can hold out until Oct/Nov it may be cheaper than you think..

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/26684
Sold out by 3am this morning.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: AIRASIA TO THE UK FROM PERTH ??? ECONOMY ? PREMIUM?

Hi

Thanks
My wife, myself and 16 yr old daughter flew Perth - KL - Stanstead(UK) in May this year. We booked about a year before in the last cheap flight "free for all".

You get what you pay for but in general but we had no complaints. We booked all extras online ie 25kg luggage, meals, comfort kit and it was still half the price of the nearest competitor.

The Aus to KL leg is in A330 seats are a bit cramped. Hiring the entertainment modules is a bit hit and miss as there never seemed to be enough to go round so bring your own.

Transfer for us was a breeze as they were experimenting airside transfers on the perth flights so everything went straight through like a normal airline(except for when the volcano hit - but thats a long story).

The UK leg is in A340 - better leg room, no problems. You need a pound coin for a luggage trolley in Stanstead.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Tip: I did my booking of the two separate legs simultaneously(almost) by using two windows of my browser. Once I got them both to the confirmation stage I did the UK then the Perth within a couple of minutes of each other to lessen the chance of not getting the connections I needed.

Bruce
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Flying Air Asia, is there any financial advantage to booking a return flight, as each leg is priced separately? It would be good for me to have some flexibility. Thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:57 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

My wife recently flew back to the UK with air asia. She flew Sydney - Melbourne (on Virgin Blue), then Air Asia from Melbourne - KL - Stanstead.

Same on return.

She got the seats on one of the sales and paid (including the SYD-MEL leg with Virgin Blue) around $900 return all up!

She reports that she would do it again no problem - especially if you get a good sale price. She paid extra for food and luggage allowance (included in above price) - her only complaint was that the food was bad in comparison to other airline foor (and that's saying something!) and there wasn't enough of it. One meal on and 8 hour leg for example isn't enough. They also had the cheek to announce over the loud speaker system that you weren't aloud to consume your own food on the flight!

Of course, everyone ignored that little gem.

All in all - no real complaints. You get what you pay for.

Graham

Edit: You also HAVE to stop in KL overnight both ways due to the flight times. Take the opportunity to see KL - a great city.

Last edited by northerner; Jun 13th 2010 at 1:00 pm.