Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air con quote high or about right ?

Air con quote high or about right ?

Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

stken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Air con quote high or about right ?

We have ducted evap for years, and would recommend it highly, I have never heard of a problem with wood floors, we have them upstairs, and it is great having fresh air with the windows open all summer time. It is far cheaper to install and run too. Good luck with your choice.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Don't think I can survive another Perth summer without air con when the mercury hits 35C plus so getting quotes for a split system for the open plan kitchen, dining and living area as can't afford ducted for the whole house.

Did consider ducted evaporative system but no good for bamboo floors apparently and been strongly advised against this type of air con by friends who have lived in houses with this in the Perth metropolitan area.

One local company has quoted $3,400 for the unit and installation for a 8-9kw Mitsubishi DC inverter model (MSZ-GE80VA2). Seems an awful lot of money for just one unit and will leave a big dent in my bank account.

Can anyone who knows a bit about air con systems tell me if this quote is expensive or about right ? I am finding the whole thing very confusing so any help much appreciated.

I know places like The Good Guys, Harvey Norman and Kambos have special offers but they use sub contractors for the installation and it can be a bit hit and miss whether you get someone who is good or makes a pig's ear of the installation so sticking to air con companies.
From my personal experience I'd be looking for a local, established, company to do the work. I had three Daikin units installed and it cost a packet, close to $13,000, but its been worth it.
We don't use them too much for cooling, more for the heating side of things and they're not cheap to run when all three are banging the heat out, but the house is like a fridge without them.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought two units from Cannington Retravision and they had a regular contractor who installed them. He was excellent. Also, the guy (Luke) who sold me the units was incredibly knowledgeable about the whole range. I ended up getting smaller ones that I thought I would need and he was spot on - they do the job very efficiently and for less cost. Same with the top loader!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 12:51 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the price was about right for a 9kW Mitsi, installed. You can get cheaper units than Mitsubishi, but the beauty of a Mitsi is that it is quiet and the last thing you want is an A/C which makes a noise all the time!