Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aged parent visa

aged parent visa

Old May 8th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default aged parent visa

Hi

As some will know, I brought my dad back to Oz with me for 3 months, after the death of my dear old mum. He is desperate to move out here to be with us, so we went to see a migration agents to ask advice.

One thing that has confused us is even though we haven't been here for 2 years (28th may -1 year) he could still put an application in now for a contributory temporary parent visa, because we would be classed as settled as we have brought and paid for our own house and the kids are in school. Although this is good news, it's not long until he will be 65 then he could come over on a 3 month visa then apply for an aged parent visa and not have to go home. Has anyone elses parents done this and had any problems.
This is the way we are going, but it all seems too easy,

any advice would be helpful

thanks
Yve
Old May 8th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: aged parent visa

Originally posted by abergas
Hi

As some will know, I brought my dad back to Oz with me for 3 months, after the death of my dear old mum. He is desperate to move out here to be with us, so we went to see a migration agents to ask advice.

One thing that has confused us is even though we haven't been here for 2 years (28th may -1 year) he could still put an application in now for a contributory temporary parent visa, because we would be classed as settled as we have brought and paid for our own house and the kids are in school. Although this is good news, it's not long until he will be 65 then he could come over on a 3 month visa then apply for an aged parent visa and not have to go home. Has anyone elses parents done this and had any problems.
This is the way we are going, but it all seems too easy,

any advice would be helpful

thanks
Yve

Is this the visa that you have to pay a large amount towards medical costs? Do you know how much it is?

You could try contacting Go Matilda agents for advice they are really hepful and give free consultations.

Best of luck with all.
Old May 8th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Re: aged parent visa

Originally posted by tinaj
Is this the visa that you have to pay a large amount towards medical costs? Do you know how much it is?

You could try contacting Go Matilda agents for advice they are really hepful and give free consultations.

Best of luck with all.

Not sure if it's large amounts, I think there is a bond of about $3500? It was the assurance of support we would have trouble with which is why we aren't doing the contributory temp parent visa, with the aged parent one i can sponsor my dad and he pays a bond

yve
Old May 8th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thats the one I was thinking of the contributary visa. I know it is really expensive about 30 000 pounds bond.

What is the deal with the aged parent visa. My Mum is 65, retired and on her own, would she be able to apply?
Old May 8th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tinaj
Thats the one I was thinking of the contributary visa. I know it is really expensive about 30 000 pounds bond.

What is the deal with the aged parent visa. My Mum is 65, retired and on her own, would she be able to apply?

Well we have been told that my dad could come here for a 3 months on a electronic visa, as long as he turns 65 while he is here he can apply for the aged parent visa and not have to return home, he would get a bridging visa while his application went through. Seems too easy doesn't it, but thats what we are planning, he still has a house to sort and sell he doesn't turn 65 until 2006 thank god it's on the 2nd January, I know there will be possible changes to these visas by then, but thats the chance we have to take.

yve
Old May 8th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yve, I haven't got a clue about the visa, but I really hope that it all works out to be easy for your Dad to stay here.

Whisky
Old May 8th 2004, 10:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you are mixed up in the information you received.

1. You need to be 'settled' to sponsor for either kind of parent visa (contributory or regular). This is assessed at the time of application.

2. In order to apply for a parent visa onshore, one must be 'aged' (at least 65 for men). Again, assessed at the time of application.

3. Immigration are within their rights to refuse entry if you arrive on an ETA with the intention of staying for a long time.

4. An onshore visa application *must* be made while still lawful (ie, within the 3 month stay permitted on an ETA).

5. You have not been clear as to whether you can afford the charges for Contributory Parent. That makes a big difference.

6. Your father needs to meet the balance of family test, in either case. Standard health criteria will also apply.

7. The processing time for a regular parent visa is literally many years. On onshore application would give rise to a bridging visa, but there are a range of issues with living in Australia for some time on a bridging visa. One of which is Medicare - parent visa applicants are specifically excluded from eligibility.

8. If you can afford the charges and do the assurance for Contributory Parent (for which you need 2 years ATO tax assessments at an acceptable level) then an offshore application would likely be simpler. Contributory Parent visa applications are being processed fairly quickly.

You should really get some more professional advice on the options - try an organisation like IARC - http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy

Originally posted by abergas
Well we have been told that my dad could come here for a 3 months on a electronic visa, as long as he turns 65 while he is here he can apply for the aged parent visa and not have to return home, he would get a bridging visa while his application went through. Seems too easy doesn't it, but thats what we are planning, he still has a house to sort and sell he doesn't turn 65 until 2006 thank god it's on the 2nd January, I know there will be possible changes to these visas by then, but thats the chance we have to take.

yve