Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary School Question + SEN Question

Primary School Question + SEN Question

Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Bcage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary School Question + SEN Question

I'm moving from London to NSW within the next month. Does anyone know how long I have after arriving with the kids (they have citizenship) until I need to enrol them in school? Am wondering as I need to find a job + place to live, which will then inform the school. Could I get away with six weeks? Is anyone checking this? I feel like in the UK once you move you have five days to register your child...

Also - does anyone have any experience with NSW primary schools and children with Special Education Needs? My son (UK Year 2) attends mainstream but has a 1:1 support. I've heard this is rare in NSW schools. Anyone with personal experience of navigating the system?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary School Question + SEN Question

Originally Posted by Bcage
I'm moving from London to NSW within the next month. Does anyone know how long I have after arriving with the kids (they have citizenship) until I need to enrol them in school? Am wondering as I need to find a job + place to live, which will then inform the school. Could I get away with six weeks? Is anyone checking this? I feel like in the UK once you move you have five days to register your child...

Also - does anyone have any experience with NSW primary schools and children with Special Education Needs? My son (UK Year 2) attends mainstream but has a 1:1 support. I've heard this is rare in NSW schools. Anyone with personal experience of navigating the system?
In Australia your employer is not even supposed to ask if you have children, they certainly are not allowed to tell any local schools about them.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Bcage is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry what I mean is ---> does the Department of Education have a time limit for getting kids registered into schools? Like, you've arrived in NSW, you have five days to get the kid into your local school?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, nobody gives a toss when the kids start school.

Chances of you getting 1:1 are slim. Bring with you all reports, current psycho educational assessments and get the current school to do an adaptive behaviour assessment before you leave. There might be special classses/units if the child meets the eligibility criteria. Check to see if they qualify for disability support. http://https://schoolsequella.det.ns...ng-support.pdf

The criteria for SEN support in UK is far more generous than Australia