advise needed

Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all
Default advise needed

Hi,
We came over to Melbourne Australia 6 weeks ago. My husband had been promised 1 of 2 jobs working for a gas company here in Melbourne whilst back in the UK. He had the interview as soon as we arrived here and as promised was offered the job. He was informed afew days ago that the guy who interviewed him and the person who would be his manager had left this job na dsomeone else had taken over, consequently he was asked to go in for a 10 min chat to meet his new boss. Whilst there my husband took the opportunity to chase up the written conract for this job as he had not yet been given one (we just put this down to tyhem been slow since it took them 4 months to make the interview happen). anyway the 10 minute chat took place and that was that and was told to start as soon as possible. However, yesterday we recieved an email form the company saying unfortunately they were no longer offering him the job. I dont know what to do. We came over to Melbourne on the basis of us having this job, we have given up everything in the UK, our home, schools, my childrens uni places. This has been very costly for us as well, as anyone making the move will know.
If anyone has any advise on what you think the best thing for us to do is i would really appreciate it. I dont know if we should stay or go back home to the UK. what do you thinks best?

thanks
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all
Default Re: advise needed

Been there done that, arrived in Brisbane with wife & two kids went to work to be told i was not needed it was just before xmas, we made do with temp jobs for 6mth untill i got full time work, if you can(funds permiting) give it a go for a few mth, i put in for every job in the paper it was very hard for 6mths good luck
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you here on? If you're PR then he can apply for more jobs and take one until his dream job comes along. It's what many of us have done and it's one of the pitfalls of being an immigrant. If you came out on a sponsored visa by the company then they'll have to pay your way back.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

If you're over on PR, then get your husband's CV into all the agencies that deal with recruitment in his sector.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry that has happened to you. As others have said put cvs in everywhere. Despite the doom and gloom I notice that there are plenty of jobs in our local rag so there are lots of jobs around. When the local rag dries up it usually indicates a downturn.

Another way to look at it is a good miss if this the way that company works wonder what they would be like to work for.

I hope you can make it work as I am sure your family will benefit.