Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Dz1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Hey guys.. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Australia in January next year 😁😁😁😁😁. Moving to Melbourne as this is where my gf is studying. I'm a electrician over here and will be coming over on a whv I understand on a whv its easier just to work as a trade assistant, was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat or has been in the same position to give some tips 😊,, is it better to try and look for a job online before we arrive or just wing it and start handing out cvs there. I've read posts that there's different laws in Melbourne about trade assistants than else where, Has Melbourne got plenty of jobs going for trade assistants, or would it be easier to get a little bar job or something like that ? Thanks 😊
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Melbourne as a electrician on a whv

Originally Posted by Dz1993
Hey guys.. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Australia in January next year 😁😁😁😁😁. Moving to Melbourne as this is where my gf is studying. I'm a electrician over here and will be coming over on a whv I understand on a whv its easier just to work as a trade assistant, was wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat or has been in the same position to give some tips 😊,, is it better to try and look for a job online before we arrive or just wing it and start handing out cvs there. I've read posts that there's different laws in Melbourne about trade assistants than else where, Has Melbourne got plenty of jobs going for trade assistants, or would it be easier to get a little bar job or something like that ? Thanks 😊
First thing first....You are not "moving" to Melbourne. You are coming to Australia for a year on a holiday visa which allows you to work. Your girlfriend is coming as a student who is permitted to work 20 hours per week during the school year and full time during holiday periods. Neither of you are moving.

As for jobs, most employers are not going to be interested in hiring a TA from overseas. You'll have to be on the ground and have the relevant qualifications to get on site before you are likely to get work (white cars, etc )
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy is correct - you are not "moving" to Melbourne. Please review your visa situation to make sure you fully understand the conditions.

On a working holiday visa I believe you have to switch employers after six months, which severely limits your desirability to employers. Australia is also a country where people need to be able to put a face to a CV and you are unlikely to get many bites from overseas.

On this visa you are expected to leave after one year. Your girlfriend will be expected to leave when her course of study ends.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guessing a bit but is your girlfriend Australian?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Ok sorry coming to Aus.. Was a little bit unclear so my gf is English has referred second semester from Leeds uni to study it in Melbourne uni ,which is 6 months long. So plan was to visit friends in Sydney in January and then head to Melbourne for the 6 months she's there, in February I think she starts uni. Whilst she's in uni I was going to get some temporary work in Melbourne, which the whv lets me work up to 6 months with one employer.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok sorry coming to Aus.. Was a little bit unclear so my gf is English has referred second semester from Leeds uni to study it in Melbourne uni ,which is 6 months long. So plan was to visit friends in Sydney in January and then head to Melbourne for the 6 months she's there, in February I think she starts uni. Whilst she's in uni I was going to get some temporary work in Melbourne, which the whv lets me work up to 6 months with one employer.
OK, thought maybe there could be a long term plan for a Partner Visa to stay here
TBH you won't stand much chance of getting work until you are here, especially on a WHV, but keep your eyes open and scour forums often as occasionally someone will put out a shout for fellow Brits to come and work with them
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, thought maybe there could be a long term plan for a Partner Visa to stay here
TBH you won't stand much chance of getting work until you are here, especially on a WHV, but keep your eyes open and scour forums often as occasionally someone will put out a shout for fellow Brits to come and work with them
Thanks Ill take a look at them. Is it easy enough to get a job as ta? Or is it like everywhere who you know. Because people iv spoke to have said aus is screaming for electricians, but the more research I do, I find like Dorothy said employers won't take on overseas ta. Because it is only temp work.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ill take a look at them. Is it easy enough to get a job as ta? Or is it like everywhere who you know. Because people iv spoke to have said aus is screaming for electricians, but the more research I do, I find like Dorothy said employers won't take on overseas ta. Because it is only temp work.
I dont know who your talking to but Australia is definately not screaming for Electricians, there are so many unemployed already.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE. Looks like you have an exciting time ahead of you, travelling to and working in different countries is a great thing to do. I've put together a bit of info that you may find helpful.

You might want to have a look at seek.com.au to see what kind of work's currently available in Melbourne. Although any jobs advertised now won't be available by the time you come over, it'll give you an idea of the types of employment and what background/skills employers are looking for for different jobs.

For 6 months or less of work, you'd be looking for a casual position. You'll need to prove that you have the right to work in Australia, your WHV will demonstrate that.

You may be able to get a few things sorted before you arrive, by gaining various certificates online. Depending on what job you go for, many occupations require these as it's a legislative requirement. For example, to work in a pub, bar etc you'll need a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate. Cost is around AUD$45 and some companies offer it online. You must ensure that the trainer is accredited, for registered trainers in Melbourne Victoria see Responsible Service of Alcohol | RSA Melbourne

I believe that a trades assistant working in an operational area, whether inside or outside, would require a Construction Induction Card (known locally as a White Card). This gives you the basics in occupational health and safety, something I'm sure you're well across already so it should be a breeze for you
Again, there are companies that offer this online but you need to make sure they're an accredited organisation for this type of training. Further info here https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/page...ction-card#one

Best of luck and happy planning!
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi, welcome to BE. Looks like you have an exciting time ahead of you, travelling to and working in different countries is a great thing to do. I've put together a bit of info that you may find helpful.

You might want to have a look at seek.com.au to see what kind of work's currently available in Melbourne. Although any jobs advertised now won't be available by the time you come over, it'll give you an idea of the types of employment and what background/skills employers are looking for for different jobs.

For 6 months or less of work, you'd be looking for a casual position. You'll need to prove that you have the right to work in Australia, your WHV will demonstrate that.

You may be able to get a few things sorted before you arrive, by gaining various certificates online. Depending on what job you go for, many occupations require these as it's a legislative requirement. For example, to work in a pub, bar etc you'll need a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate. Cost is around AUD$45 and some companies offer it online. You must ensure that the trainer is accredited, for registered trainers in Melbourne Victoria see Responsible Service of Alcohol | RSA Melbourne

I believe that a trades assistant working in an operational area, whether inside or outside, would require a Construction Induction Card (known locally as a White Card). This gives you the basics in occupational health and safety, something I'm sure you're well across already so it should be a breeze for you
Again, there are companies that offer this online but you need to make sure they're an accredited organisation for this type of training. Further info here https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/page...ction-card#one

Best of luck and happy planning!
Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

Roll on January 😊
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

Roll on January 😊
You're very welcome