Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for a UK resident looking to Emigrate to Australia

Advice needed for a UK resident looking to Emigrate to Australia

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Asho74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed for a UK resident looking to Emigrate to Australia

Hi All. I currently live in the UK and I am looking to Emigrate to Australia with my partner and 13 year old child.
At the minute I am a Child Protection Social Worker and would be looking to continue working as a Social Worker in Australia.
How easy is it to secure work in this role ? And how much savings would I need to bring with me to get me started ?
I would initially be looking to rent a 2 bed property and I am open to locations although I like the look of Brisbane and Sydney (and that area of the coast).
Any advice /tips will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed for a UK resident looking to Emigrate to Australia

Firstly, do you qualify for a visa? Start at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Once you have established whether you actually can move then the rest might be relevant. However I would say it is pretty difficult to find full time work as a social worker in the major centres. You can have a look at www.seek.com.au for an idea of what is out there. Bear in mind that some of the jobs posted may not exist.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Asho74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dorothy, thanks for your reply. I have checked and I do qualify for a visa as Social Work is currently on the shortage of skilled workers list. My next step is to start the ball rolling by making the application and I believe there are some opportunities for sponsorship so I will also be looking in to this. Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsorship will most likely be for a temporary 457 visa which is just that. Temporary. You will not be eligible for any government assistance (child tax benefit etc) and will be paying international school fees for you child(ren) in most states.

If you are eligible for a skilled visa you are best to get that. But again, full time jobs as a social worker are going to be difficult to come by in the major cities.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dorothy, the best thing would be to apply for a 189 or 190.

There is a skills assessment that you must pass and that should be your next step before any application. Without a positive assessment you are not eligible for a visa. Make sure you read very carefully the requirements and documents needed by the assessing authority, and you may consider hiring a registered migration agent with experience guiding clients through the skills assessment process. It is not a formality.