Advice needed - job/career situation

Advice needed - job/career situation

Old Jan 19th 2015, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed - job/career situation

Hi,

I hope to hear a few opinions regarding my situation:
I left Australia about 2 years ago after living there for several years. I am a physiotherapist and mainly worked for Queensland Health in Brisbane. The reasons for my departure were mostly family reasons ( I went to Australia on my own and my family lives in Germany), but also because of the difficulty of securing a permanent job for Queensland Health (basically, I was jumping from one locum job to the next) and the budget cuts at that time. In addition, I felt like a little career change and started a distance study program in Germany.

So, fast forward 2 years: I now have a Master´s of Health Economics and am trying to get my foot into the medical industry - not as a physio, but e.g. for a medical product company where I can use both my physio skills and my business knowledge I have acquired during my studies. My majors are Health Marketing and Health Economic Evaluations and I did an extra course in the US about intercultural communication.

Not that I have the urgent need to leave Germany but I do miss Australia sometimes and think about another stint there for a few years. I still have my permanent residence visa, however, my Resident Return Visa is only valid until the end of 2015. I don´t want to move to a country just for the sake of keeping a visa - but at the same time, I don´t want to just throw it away, who knows, what happens in a few years. So this is another thing for me to keep in mind.

So, to keep a long story short: I thought, I just give it a try, while applying for positions in Germany, I would like to apply for jobs in Australia as well (I´d be interested in jobs in Sydney or Melbourne). However, I heard that the job market has significantly slowed down during the time I have lived in Germany. So I am not sure if my plan is a bit unrealistic, given the fact that I live in Germany at the moment and I know how likely it is to actually hear back from Australian employers when you´re still overseas...

I´d be interested if there are people in this forum who work in the medical product/Life Sciences industry (or similar) who could give me a better idea about the current job market situation in this field, maybe point out a few potential employers/websites where I could start my research (except seek and linkedin).
Any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 10:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - job/career situation

Originally Posted by physiogirl76
Hi,

I hope to hear a few opinions regarding my situation:
I left Australia about 2 years ago after living there for several years. I am a physiotherapist and mainly worked for Queensland Health in Brisbane. The reasons for my departure were mostly family reasons ( I went to Australia on my own and my family lives in Germany), but also because of the difficulty of securing a permanent job for Queensland Health (basically, I was jumping from one locum job to the next) and the budget cuts at that time. In addition, I felt like a little career change and started a distance study program in Germany.

So, fast forward 2 years: I now have a Master´s of Health Economics and am trying to get my foot into the medical industry - not as a physio, but e.g. for a medical product company where I can use both my physio skills and my business knowledge I have acquired during my studies. My majors are Health Marketing and Health Economic Evaluations and I did an extra course in the US about intercultural communication.

Not that I have the urgent need to leave Germany but I do miss Australia sometimes and think about another stint there for a few years. I still have my permanent residence visa, however, my Resident Return Visa is only valid until the end of 2015. I don´t want to move to a country just for the sake of keeping a visa - but at the same time, I don´t want to just throw it away, who knows, what happens in a few years. So this is another thing for me to keep in mind.

So, to keep a long story short: I thought, I just give it a try, while applying for positions in Germany, I would like to apply for jobs in Australia as well (I´d be interested in jobs in Sydney or Melbourne). However, I heard that the job market has significantly slowed down during the time I have lived in Germany. So I am not sure if my plan is a bit unrealistic, given the fact that I live in Germany at the moment and I know how likely it is to actually hear back from Australian employers when you´re still overseas...

I´d be interested if there are people in this forum who work in the medical product/Life Sciences industry (or similar) who could give me a better idea about the current job market situation in this field, maybe point out a few potential employers/websites where I could start my research (except seek and linkedin).
Any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
No help on the job front, but if you have spent 2 years in Australia in the last 5 years you would be eligible for 5 year RRV which would give you time to figure things out.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed - job/career situation

Unfortunately, I haven´t spent 2 years in Australia, at least not as a permanent resident, only about 1.5 years. Before that, I was on a 457 visa.
That´s why I was only issued a 12 month RRV.