Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on HMRC Statutory information notice needed

Advice on HMRC Statutory information notice needed

Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on HMRC Statutory information notice needed

Hi, we are in Australia on a 457 visa. We have been here for nearly 2 years. Today we received a letter from our bank (ANZ) saying HMRC have served them with a statutory information notice requiring ANZ London to provide specified documents and information in relation to customers who have openened an Australian bank account via our London office. (We opened the account from the UK before moving over here).

We dont really understand this letter and/or why HMRC want information about our Australian bank account. Has anyone else ever had a letter like this and what does it mean to us?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information on this topic

Gina
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on HMRC Statutory information notice needed

bump Anyone???
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Was this a general request from HMRC to ANZ? i.e. please tell us which customers have opened overseas bank accounts. Or was it something more specific? i.e. please provide this information about Gina123
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have re read the letter and it says it is in relation to all customers who have opened an australian bank account via the London office. So no its not aimed directly at me.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:13 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gina123
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have re read the letter and it says it is in relation to all customers who have opened an australian bank account via the London office. So no its not aimed directly at me.
I suspect its something they do on a periodic basis to check names against known money launderers/criminals/organisations etc. As long as your not one of them you should be ok!!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well as it is a general letter you are not being investigated, which you should be very relieved about even assuming you have done nothing wrong.

I really wouldn't worry about it any further assuming you are not involved in dodgy activity
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:34 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

ANZ will be writing to let you know that they are going to disclose confidential information (that you are a customer and opened an account and probably the transactions on that account) to HMRC because the law says they have to.

As previously said, they are probably looking for money laundering activities, or for something specfic and don't want to let on yet who or what is the target of their attentions, but they are unlikely to be interested in an average punter who moved to Oz and now has an Oz account.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies. The letter just seemed so formal and serious when I first read it... after reading again it looks like it is a general letter!
Seen as I have not been laundering money lately I have nothing to worry about!

Thanks to all who posted for taking the time to reply!

Gina
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

hi there!

I got one of these today and pooped myself! called the HMRC this eve and they said it was because they sent my tax return forms to my old property and it was 'returned to sender'. so hence the first point of call was to check with the banks (as you always change your bank details), and then they nicely asked me to hurry up and do my 08/09 tax return... whooopsie!!!

She mentioned that it has happened to alot of people...just give them a ring and ask if there is anything you have done wrong...rather do that than get into trouble for something!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I too freaked when this arrived!
We have a minimal debt...so they say!
I must be the only person who worked PAYE with the NHS to leave half way through a tax year and then owes the tax man money??
Mind you its the Family Tax Credits we are struggling to pay...
They have sent loads of different notices say we owe between 300 UK Pounds to 2,500 UK Pounds....in overpaid Credits!!
Anyone in the same boat?
HKA
x
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:54 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
I too freaked when this arrived!
We have a minimal debt...so they say!
I must be the only person who worked PAYE with the NHS to leave half way through a tax year and then owes the tax man money??
Mind you its the Family Tax Credits we are struggling to pay...
They have sent loads of different notices say we owe between 300 UK Pounds to 2,500 UK Pounds....in overpaid Credits!!
Anyone in the same boat?
HKA
x
My husband was told he owed them £200 when we left the UK! He was a teacher, also with PAYE!! Haven't heard from them in a while, wonder if they have forgotten about it!