Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on emigrating to Australia from UK.

Advice on emigrating to Australia from UK.

Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on emigrating to Australia from UK.

Has the OP really based a n important decision on a few episodes of a glorified advertising campaign on the "Idiot Box" ?

i second the poster above who stresses the importance of local knowledge. I question what relevance studying Social Work in the UK would have to working in a country at the other side of the world.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 10th 2018 at 7:04 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

We shouldn't under estimate the power of positive persuasion such shows like 'Wanted Down Under' impact on the psyche of many people, perhaps not totally convinced about their present life in UK or any other for that matter.
Power of advertising for really it is little more, even if not admitted can likely influence the sub conscious and nag.

Of course the fairy tale will outweigh the reality in many cases, people desperately want to believe in positives and deride or block out the negatives and seek out reinforcing information to confirm what they want it to be and expect to find.

Little can be done except underline that there are positive disadvantages to moving to the other side of the world with issues they had perhaps not given due consideration.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

For points purposes - experience needs to be very closely related to the nominated profession, and there is not a lot of leeway or flexibility - ie, summer camp counselor won't get you any experience points under primary school teacher even though they are both working with young children.

You may want to consult a MARA-registered migration agent with expertise in getting social workers through the process, as overclaiming points on your visa application results in automatic rejection, even if you are still over 60 points after the case officer's corrections.

I have never seen Wanted Down Under but I will say I have yet to meet anyone who gets to knock off work regularly at 4 and squeeze in a game of beach volleyball with the kids before dinner, if that's the sort of "Aussie lifestyle" thing the show portrays. You will work just as hard and as long here as in the UK, if not longer and harder.

Good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
We shouldn't under estimate the power of positive persuasion such shows like 'Wanted Down Under' impact on the psyche of many people, perhaps not totally convinced about their present life in UK or any other for that matter.
Power of advertising for really it is little more, even if not admitted can likely influence the sub conscious and nag.

Of course the fairy tale will outweigh the reality in many cases, people desperately want to believe in positives and deride or block out the negatives and seek out reinforcing information to confirm what they want it to be and expect to find.

Little can be done except underline that there are positive disadvantages to moving to the other side of the world with issues they had perhaps not given due consideration.
We watch Escape to the Country regularly. Can I safely assume that all of England is lovely villages filled with 17th century cottages?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We watch Escape to the Country regularly. Can I safely assume that all of England is lovely villages filled with 17th century cottages?
Yes of course, its all thatched cottages and duckponds. And each village has a yokel leaning on a gate with a piece of straw hanging from his mouth
Old Feb 11th 2018, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Well far be it for me to say, but fear there may well be not quite the case. But who cares To Be In England In The Spring and the wonder at how beautiful and awe inspiring nature can be specifically in the English countryside......... as Browling noted, may make up in part for the lack of 17th century cottages? If not, the sound of the trush in careless rapture will surely win the day.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well far be it for me to say, but fear there may well be not quite the case. But who cares To Be In England In The Spring and the wonder at how beautiful and awe inspiring nature can be specifically in the English countryside......... as Browling noted, may make up in part for the lack of 17th century cottages? If not, the sound of the trush in careless rapture will surely win the day.
Our next holiday will be a few weeks in the UK. Actually, our next holiday is back to Canada in the early summer, but UK is next spring. I'm looking forward to the green fields and the old buildings.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Mgoodman is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
I've always been keen on moving to Australia. I know a lot of friends that have moved out there and love it.

I'm a all aspect dry liner/metal framer in the uk also a qualified scaffolder does anyone know what the work is like in Australia for these trades , wich is the best one and most likely to get a visa for etc any advise would be great

Matt
Old Feb 12th 2018, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Our next holiday will be a few weeks in the UK. Actually, our next holiday is back to Canada in the early summer, but UK is next spring. I'm looking forward to the green fields and the old buildings.
Ah, spring is the best time. The countryside and the blooms. A very special time. We've been very lucky with the weather every time visited during this season. Well excluding the damp week in Cornwall, but went with the gothic charm on last visit, and Whitby in Yorks, was a mite wet and windy, but hey, Newcastle was experiencing a heat wave time there, almost unheard off, so can't be all bad and London on two of three occasions was almost tropical....

Worth getting over to the 'mainland', if time.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 1:34 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Mgoodman
hi
I've always been keen on moving to Australia. I know a lot of friends that have moved out there and love it.

I'm a all aspect dry liner/metal framer in the uk also a qualified scaffolder does anyone know what the work is like in Australia for these trades , wich is the best one and most likely to get a visa for etc any advise would be great

Matt
www.immi.gov.au is where you start. See what you might quality for and come back with any questions about applying once you verify your eligibility.