Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Areas to live around Brisbane

Advice on Areas to live around Brisbane

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Norfolk Bunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Areas to live around Brisbane

Looks like everything is on track for Oz - my company have a position in Queensland and are now starting the process to get me there on a 457 visa (they will sponsor PR after 2 years as well)

I will most likely be based at offices in Murarrie

Any advice on best areas to live - don't want to be in Brisbane itself (too busy and expensive I should think - we live in a market town in the UK)

So allowing for up to an hour commute (maybe a bit more?) can anyone recommend areas to live - will be renting until PR

Need good schools as have a 6 and 3 year old (Will be 7 and 4 when leave UK next year)

Any advice on where to start looking greatly appreciated

Thanks
The Norfolk Bunch
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on Areas to live around Brisbane

Hi,
Try www.ourbrisbane.com.au there are links to suburbs, schools etc this may help you to narrow down your search. I am sure there will be lots of replies from people on the forum that will help you decide where to settle. Good luck
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

The often touted ourbrisbane.com only covers suburbs under the 'care' of Brisbane City Council

Suburbs +1 hour away from Brisbane will be under a different council EG Moreton Bay
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norfolk Bunch
Looks like everything is on track for Oz - my company have a position in Queensland and are now starting the process to get me there on a 457 visa (they will sponsor PR after 2 years as well)

I will most likely be based at offices in Murarrie

Any advice on best areas to live - don't want to be in Brisbane itself (too busy and expensive I should think - we live in a market town in the UK)

So allowing for up to an hour commute (maybe a bit more?) can anyone recommend areas to live - will be renting until PR

Need good schools as have a 6 and 3 year old (Will be 7 and 4 when leave UK next year)

Any advice on where to start looking greatly appreciated

Thanks
The Norfolk Bunch
Hi

I guess it depends on your budget. The bayside area in the Redlands is really nice for families. Suburbs such as Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland and Thornlands would definitely be worth a look at. A couple of slightly cheaper suburbs around the same distance away are Capalaba and Alexandra Hills. Also cheaper, but further away are Victoria Point and Redland Bay. All these suburbs are nice suburbs with decent schools. The first 3 suburbs I mentioned are on the train line which goes to Murrarie.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rudi
x
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rudi
Also cheaper, but further away are Victoria Point and Redland Bay. Rudi
x
Not sure I will agree with you on that...
Redland Bay prices are increasing with its new bigger houses being built. It's even jumped past Wellington Point now !! It was nice and cheap back in 2002 though.

Median House Prices Sept 2008

$380,000 Alexandra Hills
$415,000 Capalaba
$440,000 Lota
$440,000 Victoria Point
$469,000 Wellington Point
$476,000 Wynnum
$494,000 Ormiston
$495,000 Redland Bay
$515,000 Cleveland
$528,000 Manly
$545,000 Thornlands

$426,000 Median price of the Region of Bayside South in total.

Edit: I forgot to say, I would look at living in Wynnum/Manly if I was working at Murarrie, although... Nah, i'd still stick with Victoria Point

It is also only 30 minutes by train between Murarrie and Cleveland (the last train stop coming east).

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Oct 29th 2008 at 7:03 am.

Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, well there's a turn up!!! It's more expensive than Ormiston!!! Well that's good news for me as I just bought a rennovator cheap in Redland bay so hopfully it will be worth lots when I've made it look beautiful!!!!

Rudi
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Norfolk Bunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info - any more welcome

Will start looking the areas suggested for housing costs

Initial salary offer was a bit lower than expected - $65k base with fully financed car plus other benefits but was hoping for $75k+

Will have to start doing some sums - if I have to take private health care because of the 457 visa that will add a chunk to the bill. Trying to negotiate a better basic but any advice on whether we will struggle on the $65k would be most helpful (fully financed car helps though)

Hopefully can get Living away from home allowance which will also help - any advice on that also welcome

Can't expect everything to run smoothly I guess

Thanks
The Norfolk Bunch
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Have a look at www.flagstoneestate.com.au local schools private & state, direct rail link to brisbane just waiting for station, 45mins by rd to brisbane. House & land packages $396000