Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problem: European car rental companies need a license held for MIN of 1 year. HELP!

Problem: European car rental companies need a license held for MIN of 1 year. HELP!

Old Apr 11th 2015, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Mike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to all
Question Problem: European car rental companies need a license held for MIN of 1 year. HELP!

Hi everybody,

We will travel to Europe in June, and intend to get International Driving Permits for our trip.

All the car rental companies will require a full license held for minimum of 1 year. The problem is that, we transferred our QLD drivers licenses to Tasmanian ones in October 2014 after we moved from QLD to TAS. Unlike QLD driver's licenses, there is no date of issue on the Tasmania drivers licenses. On the other hand, we had to surrender our QLD drivers licenses before we could get our new Tasmanian licenses, so I am not sure how we can prove to the rental companies that we have held full licenses more than 1 year.

I was wondering whether there was a work around this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Old Apr 11th 2015, 7:37 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem: European car rental companies need a license held for MIN of 1 year. HEL

I doubt that they specify that you must have held a full license in only one jurisdiction. If you have held an unrestricted license for more than a year then you answer the question truthfully, that you have. If you are in doubt call them.
If however you have only had an unrestricted license since October, you have more of an issue - again call them
Tell them the situation and make a note of who you spoke to and when.