Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:48 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Kim67
Temping in Brisbane is really good.
Sounds temping!

(sorry ... )
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stumpysean
may i ask why? (sorry for interrupting your post!)

its just that we're debating whether to move to the Gold Coast or To Brisbane. I'm going to do Hairdressing on a student visa and can't decide where to do it though. Initially the concensus was definately the Gold Coast, now I seem to get the impresssion that things aren't quite so good as people are making out?

Would we be better of looking at Brisbane, maybe in the Northern Suburbs, North lakes/ Redcliffe? areas?

We were originally drawn to the GC for the usual reasons most ppl are I think, surf, sand and sun but after 6 months we began to feel there was a side to the GC we didnt like, a seedier side where bikie gangs run the show. We have 2 young teens and after 12 months we decided we definately didnt want our kids to grow up on the GC so we made the move to Brissie. Work opportunities in Brisbane also played a part in our move away from the GC as well.

We have been up here now for just over 3 months. We chose the bayside area so we could still be near the water. Nth Stradbroke Island is only a 40 min. ferry ride from us if we want surf beaches but just being near the bay is idyllic enough for us. We can still go to the parks and take a picnic or have a BBQ and gaze out over the waters of Moreton Bay and take in the serenity and view. Its jet ski and boating heaven here. The commute to my workplace in Mt Gravatt is only half an hour tops. And we have all that Brisbane has to offer only a short drive away too. We feel we have made the right move for us and do not plan on returning to the GC to live any time soon.

Have been to Redcliffe and love the lagoon area up there, its just fantastic for a family day out. I havent been to Nth Lakes but the Northern suburbs seem a nice at least around Clayfield, Hendra, Chermside. I havent really had a lot to do with the other areas. Our dd goes to Aviation High in Clayfield so I have spent some time around that area.

Good luck on whatever area you choose to finally settle in. We love SE Qld, the weather is great but we just had to move a bit further north to find an area we feel suits our family. GC is great to visit though.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by imanaussie
We were originally drawn to the GC for the usual reasons most ppl are I think, surf, sand and sun but after 6 months we began to feel there was a side to the GC we didnt like, a seedier side where bikie gangs run the show. We have 2 young teens and after 12 months we decided we definately didnt want our kids to grow up on the GC so we made the move to Brissie. Work opportunities in Brisbane also played a part in our move away from the GC as well.

We have been up here now for just over 3 months. We chose the bayside area so we could still be near the water. Nth Stradbroke Island is only a 40 min. ferry ride from us if we want surf beaches but just being near the bay is idyllic enough for us. We can still go to the parks and take a picnic or have a BBQ and gaze out over the waters of Moreton Bay and take in the serenity and view. Its jet ski and boating heaven here. The commute to my workplace in Mt Gravatt is only half an hour tops. And we have all that Brisbane has to offer only a short drive away too. We feel we have made the right move for us and do not plan on returning to the GC to live any time soon.

Have been to Redcliffe and love the lagoon area up there, its just fantastic for a family day out. I havent been to Nth Lakes but the Northern suburbs seem a nice at least around Clayfield, Hendra, Chermside. I havent really had a lot to do with the other areas. Our dd goes to Aviation High in Clayfield so I have spent some time around that area.

Good luck on whatever area you choose to finally settle in. We love SE Qld, the weather is great but we just had to move a bit further north to find an area we feel suits our family. GC is great to visit though.
Thankyou for your reply

Your just confirming my fears! I think we'd be better off living somewhere around Brisbane area in one of the surrounding suburbs you've suggested. Its just finding the right one one when we get here! I think you're right, its nice to beable to visit somewhere like the Gold coast when you want to but to live there when you have 2 small ish children is a different matter. I think i would feel more comfortable in a quieter suburb away from the hustle and bustle!

We will need to be within comuting distabce of Brisbane CBD as I am coming on a student visa to do hairdressing as soon as we have sold our house although there are 2 different hairdressing schools, one in Mt Gravatt and one in the CBD and i'm not really sure which one to go for yet i haven't made up my mind. But the more i read about the Gold Coast, the more i think it'll be better to keep for a day out rather than to live there. For my family anyway
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your reply

Your just confirming my fears! I think we'd be better off living somewhere around Brisbane area in one of the surrounding suburbs you've suggested. Its just finding the right one one when we get here! I think you're right, its nice to beable to visit somewhere like the Gold coast when you want to but to live there when you have 2 small ish children is a different matter. I think i would feel more comfortable in a quieter suburb away from the hustle and bustle!

We will need to be within comuting distabce of Brisbane CBD as I am coming on a student visa to do hairdressing as soon as we have sold our house although there are 2 different hairdressing schools, one in Mt Gravatt and one in the CBD and i'm not really sure which one to go for yet i haven't made up my mind. But the more i read about the Gold Coast, the more i think it'll be better to keep for a day out rather than to live there. For my family anyway
My husband worked down the Coast for a while and we were considering the move from Brisbane - but after visiting Southport during working day mornings, decided that it wasn't the place to bring up a couple of kids. We preferred to go to Straddy or Northern NSW to go to the beach anyway - not a big Gold Coast fan.

We ended up buying a property in Coorparoo - which is close to both Mt Gravatt and the city. Areas such as Holland Park, Holland Park West, Tarragindi, Mt Gravatt East, Coorparoo, Cardinale, Greenslopes, Camp Hill are close to both as well. There's pretty good public transport in most Brisbane suburbs.

Have a great time in QLD, it's a nice place to bring up kids. Take them to South Bank (not far from these suburbs either) for a swim, visit the Science Centre, Museum, Art Gallery and the new State Library (has a great kids area) and GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art)......have fun!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:24 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imanaussie

I dont disagree with your well put points but must point out that Brisbane is not exactly utopia. We lived in Brissie for 8 months before moving to the GC and what you say about the pluses are true but all the down sides are there as well - Bikie gangs, drugs, crap areas, crime etc dont stop on the border. What suits one family may not another, a Saturday night out in either Surfers or The Valley is an eye opener.
The Gold Coast is a better option for our needs both family and work but others might disagree.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Thankyou for your reply

I don't think you're listening to me, but sa la vie!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
What you need to think (for now) is what's best for your course and chances of PR. The rest can fall into place once you have it!

I've said to you already that the Gold Coast campus is better. I've done the course you're about to start, and I've been to the Brissie campus too.

At the end of the day PR from either campus is a possibility, but if I had to do again I know where I'd go! ...

Good luck with all! ...
As I say, all schools can give you PR. Or the qualification to go and apply for PR.

It's just my opinion, and the BSOH / GCSH are after all 'PR factories' I think is the term, If I had to do again I'd def go to the GC campus. The GC campus is the best for what you need ... PR!!

ONLY my advice, but I HAVE after all been through all this.

I'lll say no more.

Anyway,

Thanks for the input guy's ...

Like I've prev said, Nic is gonna get onto the recruitment agencies on Monday and see how it all goes.

Fingers crossed it all goes well and she finds a decent job with half decent pay (advertised figures seem a LOT higher than the GC ... ), then I reckon a year tops and we'll heads north to live.

See how we go!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I don't think you're listening to me, but sa la vie!

As I say, all schools can give you PR. Or the qualification to go and apply for PR.

It's just my opinion, and the BSOH / GCSH are after all 'PR factories' I think is the term, If I had to do again I'd def go to the GC campus. The GC campus is the best for what you need ... PR!!

ONLY my advice, but I HAVE after all been through all this.

I'lll say no more.

Anyway,

Thanks for the input guy's ...

Like I've prev said, Nic is gonna get onto the recruitment agencies on Monday and see how it all goes.

Fingers crossed it all goes well and she finds a decent job with half decent pay (advertised figures seem a LOT higher than the GC ... ), then I reckon a year tops and we'll heads north to live.

See how we go!
Not wishing to be nosey Paul and i understand the needs of Niccy's work problems so to speak but how will this affect your job situation after all you've been through to get where you are ?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Not wishing to be nosey Paul and i understand the needs of Niccy's work problems so to speak but how will this affect your job situation after all you've been through to get where you are ?
Well we're staying where we are for now, so no probs there.

Even if we was to move north, I guess south brissie would be fav, and I'll be happy to commute down to the coast for work. It'll be goin against the traffic both ways and have been told ok for traffic. To be honest I worked a while back at Brissie airport and had to be there for 6am. I was leaving at 4.30 to start, so know how bad the commuting can be, but as I say will be going against the grain, so to put it.

Once I've got my licence for current job, and prob another years exp i'll know enough to leave. I have no intentions of doing so, as I really like the crowd and way my current co works, but I could look for work in Brissie. I've had a look and there's already jobs elsewhere that I could prob apply for with what I've learnt already ...

As I say tho, am happy where I am for now and wouldn't mind a commute.

Thanks for asking tho ...
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:15 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys - just putting my 2 cents worth in.

I came 2 months ago - I am basically admin/customer service but work in logistics. I tell you if you ever want a job this field never seems to have a shortage. I only applied for 4 jobs and had interviews and recruitment agencies all call me regarding them and I ended up having to cancel an interview as within 2 weeks I was already employed.

I am now working and got wages I was hoping for ($45k). I had a few years experience in logistics so that was helpful, but when I was looking I saw loads of other admin options if I had wanted to change field.

I am sure your girl wouldn't have ANY trouble.

I live in Morningside and commute to Toowong - takes me about 25-40 minutes and I start at 830-5pm so I am with a fair bit of traffic. And you are right in thinking the traffic going out of Brisbane is much quieter.

Good luck with your decision guys - hope it works for you and maybe see you at a Brisbane meet in the near future.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:50 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Mmm. Your views are all very interesting indeed, though my problem can only be solved by a club to the head of my OH. Lol. Anyway, for anyone looking for a job/ change, I found this site quite relevant. Apparently it combines several job search engines together. www.jseeker.com.au

p/s: Did you guys contact the temping/ job agencies upon arrival in Oz, or before?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:00 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by janicebks
Mmm. Your views are all very interesting indeed, though my problem can only be solved by a club to the head of my OH. Lol. Anyway, for anyone looking for a job/ change, I found this site quite relevant. Apparently it combines several job search engines together. www.jseeker.com.au

p/s: Did you guys contact the temping/ job agencies upon arrival in Oz, or before?
I did, but it was basically pointless as I still had to wait until I was in Brisbane to meet with them etc.