Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - yes or no

Adelaide - yes or no

Old May 23rd 2010, 8:13 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adelaide - yes or no

Hi all

My husband and I are hoping to come over in just over 2 years time on a 176 visa. He already posts on here

Anyhoo, Adeliade is our first choice of area at the moment, with Perth and Sydney following behind,(obvisouly dependant on employment etc) but just wanted some perspective from those who have made the move out there.

An old school friend lives only about 5 hours away and rates it highly for schools, family lifestyle and life/work balance.

So, what do you think of Adelaide?

Cheers

Dee
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Re: Adelaide - yes or no

We like Adelaide...
Theres a good centre with easy going traffic, great people and plenty of sport to get your teeth into. The hills are gorgeous and the weather for us was perfect. Some decent beaches and some of the best offshore snapper fishing Australia has to offer

We currently live in Canberra but plan to join our family in Adelaide early 2011
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:39 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

All you need to know about Adelaide
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Adelaide

Last edited by mohogony; May 23rd 2010 at 11:48 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 12:47 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Yes, of course!

PROs - Great beaches, wonderful wildlife + plenty of wildlife parks, beautiful rolling landscape, fresh air, lots of festivals, cheap rent, lots of parks, plenty of bike / walking paths, Elder park, Victor Harbour, Glenelg, Kangaroo Island, cheap wine, weather, sun, climate, excellent fishing.

CONs - Not as many jobs around as other states (so less pay in some cases), trains are painfully SLOW, shops shut early compared to other states, lack of catering for young kids when out and about (other than fast food places), only a couple of freeways so expect to queue at peek times, red-backs and white-tails around the house, bad drivers, no real alternative to Coles/Woolworths (I laugh at Foodland).
Old May 24th 2010, 3:27 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

NO.
Old May 24th 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We only live 3 hrs away and love it but to be fair it's the only Aussie city we KNOW. We've been to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns and Brisbane but until you're somewhere for more than just a holiday it's hard to judge.

Well I will judge Melbourne, it's windy, cold and the roads are a nightmare but as that was just one weekend I couldn't say don't move there as a result!
Old May 24th 2010, 5:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi all

My husband and I are hoping to come over in just over 2 years time on a 176 visa. He already posts on here

Anyhoo, Adeliade is our first choice of area at the moment, with Perth and Sydney following behind,(obvisouly dependant on employment etc) but just wanted some perspective from those who have made the move out there.

An old school friend lives only about 5 hours away and rates it highly for schools, family lifestyle and life/work balance.

So, what do you think of Adelaide?

Cheers

Dee
I've been there a few times on business so limited experience, but, I love it! Great restaurants and pubs and town centre is very UK in its look. Reminds me of Cheltenham in a way with its churches and museums.
I would live there no problem!
Old May 24th 2010, 12:53 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Yes, of course!

PROs - Great beaches, wonderful wildlife + plenty of wildlife parks, beautiful rolling landscape, fresh air, lots of festivals, cheap rent, lots of parks, plenty of bike / walking paths, Elder park, Victor Harbour, Glenelg, Kangaroo Island, cheap wine, weather, sun, climate, excellent fishing.

CONs - Not as many jobs around as other states (so less pay in some cases), trains are painfully SLOW, shops shut early compared to other states, lack of catering for young kids when out and about (other than fast food places), only a couple of freeways so expect to queue at peek times, red-backs and white-tails around the house, bad drivers, no real alternative to Coles/Woolworths (I laugh at Foodland).
I find Foodland fine , a great alternitive to the " big two" what i cant find there i get at the local fruit & veg markets , or at the many farmers markets on the weekends , ...you should get out more , Cool shadows.........mm
Old May 24th 2010, 1:04 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

You'll hate it in Adelaide.... there's a totally mad-assed bunch of ladies there who eat far too much cake, gossip far too much & even go on debauched weekends away together sometimes.

Best avoid it like the plague if I were you
Old May 24th 2010, 1:32 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Cheltenham uk your on about?

Im from Chelt, uk, landed here in adelaide and felt instantly at home - the hills did it for me - but the museums etc remind me so much of chelt...the regency look.
Adelaide has as much or as little as you want it to have.
I love it.
Originally Posted by paddyo
I've been there a few times on business so limited experience, but, I love it! Great restaurants and pubs and town centre is very UK in its look. Reminds me of Cheltenham in a way with its churches and museums.
I would live there no problem!
Old May 24th 2010, 11:15 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Is that Cheltenham uk your on about?

Im from Chelt, uk, landed here in adelaide and felt instantly at home - the hills did it for me - but the museums etc remind me so much of chelt...the regency look.
Adelaide has as much or as little as you want it to have.
I love it.
Exactly!!! It all looked so familiar to me!
Also has one of my favorite restaurants in the world there, The Red Ochre on the river just off North Terrace, fantastic place using all indiginous ingredients.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:14 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
I find Foodland fine , a great alternitive to the " big two" what i cant find there i get at the local fruit & veg markets , or at the many farmers markets on the weekends , ...you should get out more , Cool shadows.........mm

Must be our local foodland, but it never seems to have half the stuff, and I'm not talking about fruit and veg. With two little kids in tow, I want a one stop shop.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
You'll hate it in Adelaide.... there's a totally mad-assed bunch of ladies there who eat far too much cake, gossip far too much & even go on debauched weekends away together sometimes.

Best avoid it like the plague if I were you
Spanks for you!!

I live in Adelaide and it's fine if you pick your area carefully. Look where the Aussies live and live there. Don't be seduced by big houses for small money and instead pick your area for quality of amenities. Oh and more than a 30 min commute is a pain in the bum and you will grow to hate it!

Foodland is variable. In North Adelaide it is fab however the one on North East Road is terrible. They are all franchised or similar - I think - so different owners = different standards.
Old May 25th 2010, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Rabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really niceRabbits is just really nice

Adelaide's Great, but it's like anywhere - "Choose Your Own Adventure"!

If you're Happy you'll notice that the skies are blue most days & people walk around with smiles on their faces.

NB:

Try Norwood Parade Foodland!
Old May 25th 2010, 6:48 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabbits
Try Norwood Parade Foodland!
And while you're on The Parade stop and have something to eat in Cafe Bravo, I can definitely recommend the fettucine puttanesca. Must have had it over a dozen times.

Not all in one sitting I might add.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.