Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Perth Please help

Adelaide or Perth Please help

Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

thugpoetry69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide or Perth Please help

I have a realy urgent question. Which of these two areas is best to live in. Considering the weather, education, standard of living and anything else. I am torn between the two and i cant seem to make up my mind. Please help.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Ali-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant future
Default Re: Adelaide or Perth Please help

Originally Posted by thugpoetry69
I have a realy urgent question. Which of these two areas is best to live in. Considering the weather, education, standard of living and anything else. I am torn between the two and i cant seem to make up my mind. Please help.
I havent been to Adelaide, but i personally believe Perth is better than Adelaide, bigger city, better weather and then job opportunities in WA are more because of the minerals
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices are higher in WA than South Australia.
So this could be a big factor.

It depends on what your job is, it could be the nicest city in the world but it would be useless without a job.
What is your career? This would help.

Gems
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali-Syed
I havent been to Adelaide, but i personally believe Perth is better than Adelaide, bigger city, better weather and then job opportunities in WA are more because of the minerals
You haven't been to Adelaide but you have an opinion that somewhere else is better? I've lived in both and would choose Adelaide over Perth in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

We couldn't make up our mind between the two either, but finally went for Perth. We had teenage kids and felt they would settle easier in Perth as it seemed a more vibrant city for them to grow up in. Also in my opinion Perth has the better climate and more job prospects than Adelaide. The downside is the property is more expensive here.
But we all still have a soft spot for Adelaide and one day may return.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both, the weather is pretty much the same between the two. Adelaide has a more old world feel, in that it reminds me more of english citys where as perth has a more spread out newer feel to it. I would say perth is more what I imagined australia to be before coming out here, wide open spaces, clean city center, big roads everywhere. Adelaide always had a lot more going on though but I did live close to the beach, there was always events every weekend and there was a nice strip of shops nearby which were nice to walk round, it always had a busy lively feel. Perth is more spread out and isolated but that does have some benefits. I would say visit both for a couple of weeks before you put down roots
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Malcs66
We couldn't make up our mind between the two either, but finally went for Perth. We had teenage kids and felt they would settle easier in Perth as it seemed a more vibrant city for them to grow up in. Also in my opinion Perth has the better climate and more job prospects than Adelaide. The downside is the property is more expensive here.
But we all still have a soft spot for Adelaide and one day may return.
Tottally agree with this we loved Adelaide when we visited on Holiday in 2007 but went to Perth last year to validate and move there in December....Who knows whats right or wrong we are all different but we also wont rule out a move to SA in the future

Be Lucky
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ali-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant futureAli-Syed has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You haven't been to Adelaide but you have an opinion that somewhere else is better? I've lived in both and would choose Adelaide over Perth in a heartbeat.
Well before moving to Australia, I was myself torn between this decision, and I chose Perth over Adelaide as there are more job opportunities in WA as compared to SA, and my decision in this regard has been alright uptil now.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali-Syed
Well before moving to Australia, I was myself torn between this decision, and I chose Perth over Adelaide as there are more job opportunities in WA as compared to SA, and my decision in this regard has been alright uptil now.
But how can you know Perth is "better"? You've never been to Adelaide.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:42 am
Banned

Antoinettes is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide - Smaller and quieter. More a large country town than a city. More isolated than Sydney. Not as good for waterports. Can be stinking hot in summer. Lots of nearby wineries. Accommodation is relatively cheap.

Climate stats: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_023000.shtml