Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Perth

Adelaide or Perth

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Perth

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have cousins in Hamilton Ont they reckon its a S**T hole .....??.. mm
Hamilton is very industrial. It's where all the steel is milled, so lots of air pollution. And yes, it is a sh*t hole. Although, there are some nice areas of the city, the west end is where McMaster University is and the mountain is quite nice. Lots of Italian and Portugese immigrants in Hamilton as well as a very large Jewish population. We lived in Burlington, which is about 10 km northeast of Hamilton, just across the tip of Lake Ontario.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go to either but that's me. A real question, not sarcy or anything (for once) why do people ask total strangers the best place for them, who no one kn ows, to live?
I think I "know" some of you fairly well after three or four years but, no offence, I probably wouldn't ask some the time of day
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm not sure that's the case, cheaper than the south east of England for sure.

Don't forget the mean income in WA is about $55,000 - about 22 thousand quid if we're doing comparisons
Didn't the average median house price inthe UK for a 3bed semi hit GBP200k recently? I remember when it hit 100k in 2000 - it must be at least zulu's GBP160 now.

I stil think for many Australia is affordable - it's just where you might end up!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:31 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rug13y
Neither. Go to Kalgoorlie. More interesting.
you right with that one ,its got to be one of the best aussie towns around .
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
you right with that one ,its got to be one of the best aussie towns around .
I had a momentary insane moment when I even thought of staying there for a while. I quite like places like that with a bit of character.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Perth nine months ago with a fairly substantial safety net to buy a house, cars, furnishings etc etc.

We are going to carry a mortgage comparable to the loan we had a home.

The dreams of mortgage free living are exactly that ...

Perth IS expensive in my opinion and over inflated in terms of what you are actually getting for your money. The build quality of new homes here is very very poor.

Average block prices are shrinking month by month to the point where 450m2 sounds decent ... laughable by the way, it's tiny.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I wouldn't go to either but that's me. A real question, not sarcy or anything (for once) why do people ask total strangers the best place for them, who no one kn ows, to live?
I think I "know" some of you fairly well after three or four years but, no offence, I probably wouldn't ask some the time of day
Totally agree. I've never understood how people can ask these kind of questons on this site.
I think Brisbane/SE Qld is a complete craphole but my opinion is based on my experience of the place rather than questions asked here.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mick69
Thats a really good read Leigh. Thanks for that.

When in January are you heading off to Perth?

Lynne
Hi Lynne

Flights are booked for the 30th. How about you? What happened with your house? I remember you struggling to sell it the same time as us. We've ended up letting it.

To those of you who are slating the op, for asking about Perth or Adelaide, is this not what this forum is all about It's just a question to get some ideas about both places, having never been. Don't worry desnshaun most people on here are helpful

Leigh
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Absolutely. What's right for some is definitely not right for others. My family couldn't understand why we didn't want to go to Brisbane where my sister lives. It's just not the place we want to be is all. Adelaide was what we thought looked best for our family, but we did our own research and decided for ourselves. Yes, we did ask others' opinions, but most of that went out the window long before we left home.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs

Average block prices are shrinking month by month to the point where 450m2 sounds decent ... laughable by the way, it's tiny.
I assume you meant to say "Average block sizes are shrinking month by month"?

Our block is 636m2 - which isn't huge....but on the new land releases they are even smaller than that, with some even as small as 350m2.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=marco121068]I assume you meant to say "Average block sizes are shrinking month by month"?

Exactly what I mean't to say ...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I assume you meant to say "Average block sizes are shrinking month by month"?

Our block is 636m2 - which isn't huge....but on the new land releases they are even smaller than that, with some even as small as 350m2.
there are some in Hillarys in Perth that are just that 350sqm. The houses are so close together its untrue, personally I think they are truly hideous. My block is 759 and even that feels like I would like more outdoor space.

to Debs I would say that if you are unsure then you must visit both places.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Totally agree. I've never understood how people can ask these kind of questons on this site.
I think Brisbane/SE Qld is a complete craphole but my opinion is based on my experience of the place rather than questions asked here.
I'd be happy to live there on acreage away from the beaches or 'hot' spots.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:38 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Have to agree with you there, from my experience, it was in general a dump. Brisbane itself was such a let down, and the Gold coast was just high rise hell along the entire beach front, and by mid afternoon the beach was practically dark
The sunshine coast and northwards was more of what I expected and I could defnitely (baring the humidity) live there.
I often wonder how many people get off the plane in Brisbane and think ok lets hit the beach, and then find out there arent any in Brisbane and its miles to drive to the coastline. 140KM to Noosa etc
Brisbane is not comparable to Perth, just by the nature of its location.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Defnitely cheaper than the south east of England, what about if compared to living within 10KM of any major UK city?
Or living within 10KM of the ocean?

I bet the mean household income is more like $80K nowdays, most homes with one income are probably only single income because they can afford to be and probably have a relatively high income, and I bet more often than not there's two incomes coming into most households giving a combined in excess of around the $80K mark.
A lot of household incomes would be in excess of $120K.

I dont trust the $55K figure it was only around 12 months ago the average was supposedly something like $40K so its jumped $15K in that time thats nearly 40% increase, I dont know anyone at any level of the market thats got a 40% pay increase in the last year.
I wonder if its something to do with the tax rates changing and people with company setups that they work through (which there are a hell of lot in WA) are able to push through more as salaries now, (but still carry on taking the same again through expenses etc. which probably doesnt count against the state average...)
Think $120k is way over the top.
My wage is a 3rd of that full time.

Just watch when you rent too.
Moved into this house in May $250 a week, $285 from January.

Don't go back into English pounds when you yet here and say ' Thats only..... in English money' cos you will be earining Ozzie dollars.

whisky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.