Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Adelaide or Melbourne?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Melbourne?

Adelaide is a very nice place, particularly the Adelaide hills region but I agree it does suffer a bit from a lack of 'big city' attributes, i.e. it is a bit sleepy and like a very large country town in a way and less jobs and infrastructure than Melbourne and Sydney.

There have been some notorious serial killer cases in and around Adelaide, but not in recent times, we are talking around 20 to 40 years ago, it is a very safe city from what I know. If you are after a bit more of an English feel than the rest of Aus, both cities fit the criteria. Sydney and Brisbane would be the major cities with the least English feel I reckon.

Adelaide is a couple of degrees milder than Melbourne in winter but significantly hotter in summer and they can have some very nasty heatwaves that last longer than Melbourne heatwaves, not quite as bad as Perth though.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Adelaide is a very nice place, particularly the Adelaide hills region but I agree it does suffer a bit from a lack of 'big city' attributes, i.e. it is a bit sleepy and like a very large country town in a way and less jobs and infrastructure than Melbourne and Sydney.

There have been some notorious serial killer cases in and around Adelaide, but not in recent times, we are talking around 20 to 40 years ago, it is a very safe city from what I know. If you are after a bit more of an English feel than the rest of Aus, both cities fit the criteria. Sydney and Brisbane would be the major cities with the least English feel I reckon.

Adelaide is a couple of degrees milder than Melbourne in winter but significantly hotter in summer and they can have some very nasty heatwaves that last longer than Melbourne heatwaves, not quite as bad as Perth though.
Perth heatwaves .??? when...........mm
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

How would cost of living compare? For example if one was earning 80K in Adelaide, what would you need to earn for a comparable lifestyle in Melbourne?

We have always thought of heading to Melbourne, but now there seems to be a potential job offer from Adelaide. Difficult to know what to do as they both seem great.
We are a couple with a young family, not too fussed about nightlife but do like to eat out. We also love camping, fishing etc and want to raise our kids in a sporty environment

My worry about Melbourne is the price of housing and the long commute. We could probably only afford areas like Sunbury, or Upway etc where we could get a 3/4 bed for 300-400k but then have long commutes
I am assuming that we still pay that kind of money for a house in a family friendly area in Adelaide but maybe it would be a shorter commute?

Also I am considering retraining as a Maths teacher. Any difference in demand or teaching in the two cities?

So sorry for the random set of questions. Any insight would be hugely helpful.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:08 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
How would cost of living compare? For example if one was earning 80K in Adelaide, what would you need to earn for a comparable lifestyle in Melbourne?

We have always thought of heading to Melbourne, but now there seems to be a potential job offer from Adelaide. Difficult to know what to do as they both seem great.
We are a couple with a young family, not too fussed about nightlife but do like to eat out. We also love camping, fishing etc and want to raise our kids in a sporty environment

My worry about Melbourne is the price of housing and the long commute. We could probably only afford areas like Sunbury, or Upway etc where we could get a 3/4 bed for 300-400k but then have long commutes
I am assuming that we still pay that kind of money for a house in a family friendly area in Adelaide but maybe it would be a shorter commute?

Also I am considering retraining as a Maths teacher. Any difference in demand or teaching in the two cities?

So sorry for the random set of questions. Any insight would be hugely helpful.
Looking $110,000 in melbourne $120,000 plus in sydney ...............mm